68' Nova Steering conversion - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Restoration Corner Originality Comes First

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Nov 14th, 07, 12:08 PM

petemurphy001 has a positive reputation
Default 68' Nova Steering conversion

I am currently rebuilding a 1968 Nova (350, automatic, with AC) for my 16 yr old daughter (yes she is a gear head). It has the normal manual steering. Does anyone have any experience on converting to Power steering? I would like to know what needs to be purchased to make this happen.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 14th, 07, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lead Slacker

Gloryhound has a positive reputation
Default Re: 68' Nova Steering conversion

Power steering gear box, PS pitman arm, PS pump, PS hoses, and the engine mounting brackets should get it done. From what I have heard the steering arms on the spindles are different lengths depending on power or manual steering, but either will work regardless in the end.

Another route would be one of the bolt in rack and pinion kits, but you have to remember the cost of the steering column adapter when pricing it up as it generally is not included in the kit. Nice thing about going this route is it gives you more header clearance on the drivers side which can be a little tight depending on what headers you go with.
Old Nov 14th, 07, 07:37 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: 68' Nova Steering conversion

The parts you need can be found online. Look for parts for a 1967-'69 Camaro. The first generation Camaro has a lot of parts listed, and they all fit the 1968-'74 Nova, though it is not always annotated as such.

There are two to three different pitman arms for manual steering depending upon how "fast" the steering ratio was (number of turns of the steering wheel to get from lock to lock). Like wise there are three different steering gear boxes with different ratios and different vendors making the part (so even though it bolts up the sizes of the box vary which helps with steering box to header fitment). Additionally the manual steering wheel was a different size in diameter to assist the person turning the wheel over (once again all of the different steering wheels will fit and they come in a number of different styles to reflect trim level and options).

David Possi has a very nice article on Team Camaro about building the first generation Camaro up to be a road racer. All of the information and the parts will also fit your car should you desire to build a blue and yellow painted Penske tribute car to TransAm racing.

Big Dave (not Possi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement