Master cylinder conversion. - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jun 13th, 09, 01:47 PM
Tech Team
Casey

greasemonkeychef has a positive reputation
Default Master cylinder conversion.

Well if I cant get this MCPV working soon I want to swao it out for a factory style M/C. I have been doing some reading and ofund that people have completed a Disc/Drum M/C swap without using a prop valve. Is there any truth to this? I have heard a M/C for a 67 nova will work and a 69 camaro M/C will work?

I will try this MCPV one more time and then its coing out. I have about 3 hours into bleeding the brakes and still getting air and no pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 13th, 09, 02:04 PM
SHIFTY4

Default Re: Master cylinder conversion.

make sure the car (meaning master cylinder) is level... after bench bleeding of course, start with the farthest wheel from master and proceed... i've heard of many many people who've had difficulties bleeding that master.

don't give up the ship

follow the directions explicitly, and you should be OK
Old Jun 13th, 09, 03:51 PM
Tech Team
Casey

I am about to put this thing in the driveway and give it a good wack with a 10# sledge hammer. I have these work great went finally they get set up. I will put some time into it tomorrow and see if it will bleed. I get the rears to bleed just fine its just the front. One minute I will have fluid at the bleed screw and the next nothing not even air. What concers me is when I have got fluid out at the front there is what looks like metal flake in it. You can really see it with a flash light. Weird!

Old Jun 13th, 09, 04:04 PM
SHIFTY4

Casey, i've heard nightmares about that master cylinder, all regarding the bleeding process... read the instructions... i believe the proportioning valve mechanism needs to be set for bleeding then set (adjusted) for when you're ready to drive the car... so, again, read the instructions and see what the recommended procedure is and stay at it.

like i said i've heard lots of nightmares about bleeding but once set up it's a good product.

regarding the "glitter"... that might be residue from the old system (wear etc) i'd flush the system. hopefully it's not in the new master or from the new master...

i wish ya luck... BE PATIENT
Old Jun 13th, 09, 04:38 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

There is also the problem of incompatible DOT 5, DOT 4 fluid (real horror stories about that mistake), and water absorption with DOT 3 (and the resulting corrosion of aluminum pistons in cast iron bores): and the fact that all brake fluid (even DOT5) will oxidize over a period of a few years and needs to be flushed about every 75,000 miles or five years anyway. Is your car over five years old? Do you know what fluid the previous ten or twelve owners used?

I would trailer the car to Brake-O or your local friendly Pakistany owned brake emporium and have it power flushed. Mohamed does mine for about $25 bucks in labor plus fluid (DOT5) and it takes about as long as it takes to change the oil. Tell them to take the tires off the car first though (which is why I have it done at a TireKingdom tire store) as they will run it over your tires and mag wheels and think nothing of it (once again I get free tire rotation so I get brakes bled while wheels are off the car).
Old Jun 14th, 09, 08:37 PM
Tech Team
Casey

Wanted to keep you guys updated on the progress. Well I got desperate after still getting nothing out of the front brakes. So I ended up hooking a shop vac up to the open bleeder screws. Got alittle fluid out of it but not much. Next idea I took the other cap that comes with the MC and started opening one bleed screw at a time and forced compressed air through the top of the cylinder. Well now I have some pedal not sure if its enough. Have a buddy coming over to help pump pedal. We will see!
Old Jun 14th, 09, 08:50 PM
SHIFTY4

from CPP's website: http://www.classicperform.com/Instru.../PDF/MCPV1.pdf

Bench bleed the master cylinder. Hold the master cylinder level and fill
with brake fluid. Connect one end of the plastic tubes to the outlet port
on the master cylinder and submerse the other end of the tube in the
brake fluid. Cycle the master cylinder until there is no more air visible
through the plastic tubes.

Note: It may be necessary to temporarily
remove the metering valve from the master cylinder in order to get the
front circuit to start bleeding.

To remove the valve, carefully remove
the large hex headed cover from the side of the master cylinder. Pull
the metering valve out of the master cylinder, and reinstall the cover.
Do not loose the metering valve or it’s seal. After the front circuit is
free of air, reinstall the metering valve and seals. Tighten the cover.
Old Jun 15th, 09, 09:08 AM
Tech Team
Casey

FINALLY! We have a brake pedal ladies and gents. Even with the metering valve out @ the time of bench bleeding and through the bleed process this thing was a PITA. Once the fluid was force throught the system with compressed air it finally got some pressure. Then install the metering valve and start the process all over again @ the futherest wheel from the M/C. I would venture to guess I had 8-10 hours to get the pedal pressure up and working. The fluid is now clear at all wheels(no medal flake) and still need to test drive. Thanks for all the help. One more step closer to putting another nova on the road.
Old Jun 19th, 09, 02:03 PM
Dave

stratrex has a positive reputation

I had the same problem with mine. I called them and was told after bench bleeding to use a curved syringe, stick it into the rear small hole in the rear reservoir and such the trapped air out. I did this and got air out of it after bleeding and it works good now. I would think they would include this in the instructions but they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement