Interchangability of parts - Page 2 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Nova Tech For best results please choose from the forums below.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old May 2nd, 09, 10:35 PM

newtotheindustry has a positive reputation
Default Re: Interchangability of parts

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 09, 10:35 PM
MEADORS71NOVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotheindustry View Post
I could not find the numbers in the front just the ones in the back. The engine was painted blue. The numbers in the back are
346250 GM
you need to look at those casting numbers agian i can not find them in any thing that gm has made i checked oldsmobile, pontiac, buick, and gm big and small blocks check it agian to make sure its eay to mistake a numbers on the back of the block and double check the pad on the front of the block for the suffix codes that is the best way to find out some gm v-8's had the same casting number the most notorious one is 3970010 that can be linked back to a 302, 327, and the 350
Old May 2nd, 09, 10:37 PM

I found the full numbers for the engine and I think the Trans

Engine(block casting numbers)- 346250 GM

Engine VIN T0323DTW

TRANS B5B17D

Old May 2nd, 09, 10:43 PM
MEADORS71NOVA

it's an oldsmobile cutlass 305 1979 model 160 factory horse power factory 4 barrel carb
this is from the suffix code of the front pad
Old May 2nd, 09, 10:49 PM

looks like I'm going to have to change that out. What do you recommend? engine and trans I would be satisfied with enough horsepower. At the same time I would love to throw the shifter on the floor instead of the column.
Old May 2nd, 09, 10:58 PM
MEADORS71NOVA

i have a 406 just depends on you and what you want do you plan on driving it much you could build a great streetable 355 for a decent price wouldn't be hard to find one either or you could do a 383
Old May 3rd, 09, 12:12 AM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

Can you post a photo of the engine and transmission?
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old May 3rd, 11, 11:24 AM
pqkawara

pqkawara has a positive reputation

Quote:
What are other resources in finding the interchangeable parts of a nova. I'm curious because I was at a junk yard yesterday looking for some decent seats, visor, tires, door hinges, lights and interior panels that were in decent condition. I have a 74 nova tripped down to the metal and nothing inside except a beatup dashboard and decent sterring column. I want to restore and have been working on the minor body damage for the past couple of weeks. It has a preety nice engine and trans which I would like to find out exactly what kind. I just need a little help with where to start and where to find the answers to certain questions.
Drew Ray McAvoy has put together a nice list of parts that will interchange for all the years. Here is a link to his page on the 74's.

Old May 3rd, 11, 12:10 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

I will add if you are just starting out with this restore that an Assembly manual, Fisher Body Repair manual, and a Service manual (also sometimes called an Overhaul manual), as well as a Chassis Service manual are the bare essentials to have in your library. I would add to that a copy of the 1962-'75 Chevrolet Parts manual (there are two versions one illustrated and one not) and a 1970-'75 version of Alan Colvin's Chevrolet by the Numbers.

The first four books where issued to the automotive techs who worked at a dealership. The parts counterman needed his Chevrolet Parts manual in an age before computers though a good parts man memorized the book's more common part's and could walk back and hand you the correct part from a simple question. The Body tech working in the collision repair center needed to know how to hang new fenders doors and quarter panels and where all of the trim pieces went. With every body style change a new Fisher Body Repair manual was published by Helm (you can still buy a copy of the book from them on-line). The Service line tech who rebuilt the motor you blew up or tranny you broke or was going to install the gear set you wanted in the rear end would refer to his copy of the Service manual. They got very greasy and were illegible on some pages. Finally the brake and front end tech would refer to the Chassis Service manual for dimensions and specs of how the car was put together originally.

You can buy GM licensed copies of these copyrighted books (which is why we can not post copies of our copy for you) as a scanned and archived on CD copy of each book (except the parts manual) for about $20 bucks each or less.

Colvin's book is the acknowledged 'bible' of casting numbers and dated production information containing scaled down illustrations of many of GM's original engineering drawings of the parts. As far as how many of what option were built you can buy a copy of Doug Marion's book cleverly entitled "Chevy II Nova Production Details, History and Performance for Every Model". It is full of color pictures of original and concours restored cars with original factory sales brochures.

Finally ADP Hollander publishes a very limited scaled own reprint of their annual catalog that lists most of the bigger parts on your car that can be sourced from a salvage yard. Not everything is listed but in it you know what part will interchange on your car as a direct bolt on and because it is hobby oriented they also include interchange parts that can be modified to fit your car (such as newer disc brakes) that were not included in the book designed for the body man repairing collision damage. The book can be found by Googling it's ISBN 1-58132-005-1. It is a little hard to understand at first but once you figure it out you will be quoting Hollander numbers with the best of them.
Old Sep 11th, 11, 03:26 PM
Alan

larksnova has a positive reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to larksnova

1x27d8w115477
Old Sep 11th, 11, 03:41 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by larksnova View Post
1x27d8w115477
No idea what you are trying to communicate! This looks like an early Chevy VIN.

Big Dave
Old Sep 11th, 11, 09:38 PM
Site Moderator

It is a vin code for a 4th gen Nova.
Old Oct 10th, 11, 01:40 AM
edward

1bad69nova has a positive reputation

i know of a couple of interchangeable parts i know the gas tanks brackets from a 73 fit 68-72 and the gas tank the nova gauge bezel is interchangable with the vetura also if you go to your local pick and pull they will give you a list of interchangable parts for you nova
Old Oct 10th, 11, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator

The gas tanks were changed in 73 with the introduction of the hatchback. The trunk floor was no longer flat. From 73 - 79 the gas tanks were the same, the filler neck may have been slightly different. The dash bezel from 69 - 76 will interchange but there were differences in the shape of the clock and fuel gauge openings and the grain pattern.
Old Sep 1st, 12, 01:08 AM
Mark

64haganml has a positive reputation

Quote:
Can someone decode the vehicle VIN also... I tried different websites but had no luck also

1X27D4L171274
Visit the GM Heritage website. Agree to the terms and select your model then year and you will find a VIN decoder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement