Engine run in -> mishap -> oil shimmer?! - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jan 5th, 19, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Magnus

Magnus has a positive reputation
Default Engine run in -> mishap -> oil shimmer?!

TLDR; Engine rebuild, new cam + lifters, still worried about shimmer in the oil. Yank the motor?

Backstory...

1. 454 BBC mild street rebuild, edelbrock top end kit came with flat tappet cam hydraulic lifters.

2. Primed the engine manually with a drill, turning it over, oil to all rockers, including cyl #1.

3. During initial break in there are some issue with the mechanical fuel pump (gasket was blocking fuel delivery) so we did a couple of runs with primed floats and no bueno after say 30 seconds or less.

4. Fixed it, ran the initial 20 minutes variable RPM, with good oil pressure.

5. Car did one or two rides (total less than 80 miles on motor)

6. Startup a long time later (car was in storage) and it bends a pushrod, because a worn down lobe on the #1 cylinder. (Should have binned the flat tappet when I had the chance)

7. I fly back to where the car was in storage, and pull the motor over two days, inspect the engine (pulled 1 or 2 main bearing caps (closest to #1), and bearing material looked good, barely worn in.

8. Don't have the time to do a full disassemble and cleaning, so I resort to throwing in a hydraulic roller setup and put the engine back in the car.

... long time later.

9. Car is my possession again where I can work on it, I have been tuning it and it runs alright. I have cruised it around for ~200 miles with an oil change at 100 miles and now another one at the 200 mile mark. I still see some minor amount of shimmer in the oil, cut the filters and there is no metal in there.

So my question is.... as the motor has not had the best of starts, and this flushing with oil strategy could work. How much shimmer is acceptable during this run in time, or is this just a time bomb? Would rather not yank the engine out but if I have to I will. If I keep monitoring the oil, and the shimmer goes away I am thinking I am in the clear, and I have flushed out an shimmer from rings seating, and old crud from the worn down flat tappet incident.

Any advice, or similar experiences?
Advertisement

Old Jan 5th, 19, 05:03 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Engine run in -> mishap -> oil shimmer?!

Take your oil to your local Cat dealer. They can do a motor oil analysis for about $20. That will tell you if they are finding old metal filings floating around in your oil passages or new damage.

Big Dave
Old Jan 5th, 19, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Sounds like the fuel pump episode had to do with the cam going south, 30 seconds of steady cranking can wipe out a new cam, and real quick with big springs. Myself if it were me just for piece of mind, I'd tear it all down and clean it all up/inspect it and put it back together, but that's just me.
Old Jan 6th, 19, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Magnus

Yeah I'm definitely thinking the mishap with the fuel pump caused the break in of the flat tappet to fail. I am considering taking out the engine, but it's like with everything, life, priorities and not enough time.

Big Dave: how would they know it's new or old? Different metals in cam and bearing material? I might send some oil off (always been curious of the oil analysis process)

I tried taking some pictures but it's real hard to get the camera to pickup on it.
Old Jan 6th, 19, 07:05 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Yeah I'm definitely thinking the mishap with the fuel pump caused the break in of the flat tappet to fail. I am considering taking out the engine, but it's like with everything, life, priorities and not enough time.
I can relate to the life/time factor, lol, Another thing I do is take out the inner springs(if equipped)for break in unless they are stock single springs, and make "sure" everything is ready to go so it starts with no more than one revolution, once it's running if I see something that isn't right I shut it off and fix it, then I'll fire it back up making sure that it will fire instantly(NO cranking)for the rest of break in period.
Old Jan 8th, 19, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Magnus

Im gonna order an oil test, its only $20.

Meanwhile here are some pics from a little cruise last week.

Advertisement