PCV/P-Brake vacuum port question - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jun 16th, 08, 01:32 PM
SHIFTY4

Default PCV/P-Brake vacuum port question

Hey Guys, another snag i encountered on the Flyer's 377 yesterday was hood fitment. with the RPM air-gap, a 1" spacer and my Ram-Air box i saw that i'd have issues getting the hood closed. so i removed the 1" spacer but the only way to get the carb installed was to remove the fitting for the power brake vacuum source. in Edelbrock's infinite wisdom the chose a location that's NOT Holley friendly

OK, on the back of my 750dp there's a 3/8 tube for the PCV valve connection... can i tee off of that for my power brakes ??? i know there's an issue regarding any oil vapor from the PCV getting into the brake unit... what if i was to run, say, something like an coolant recovery system for the P/B unit ??? have a hose enter the can running down inside the can and then take a port off the top to take tha vacuum to the brake unit ??? as i see it the oil residue would be at the bottom of the can and i'd have clean air to the p/b unit ??? i could put a petcock at the bottom of the can to drain any oil that'd possibly accumulate there...

any thoughts please ???

i appreciate the help, thanks,

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 16th, 08, 03:41 PM
Tech Team
Veno

Veno has a positive reputation
Default Re: PCV/P-Brake vacuum port question

I dont see why not.. its manifold vacuum..... I dont see any forseeable problems with that...

getting close huh? cool dawg....

remember what John Kay said...... Get yer motor runnin.. head out on the HWY... lookin.......

Good luck Johnny

Veno.

EDIT... I dont see a need for a canister either... the vacuum will pull from either where the least demand is... air like water will seek the less restrictive route.... or the path of least resistance...

just make sure the booster line is higher and on a incline back the carb port, than the PCV valve..
Old Jun 16th, 08, 03:51 PM
SHIFTY4

10-4, i've been thinkin' on it and thought if i was to pull the vac for the booster as close to the carb as possible there'd be less likely a chance to get any vapor to the brake unit. i've seen vapor canisters used before and thought it was a possibility. they weren't used for the reasons i'd need it for but thought if needed it'd be a way out. it'd just be another thing under the hood i'd have to hide which bothered me. it's already WAY too blingy for my tastes as it is. i'm tryin' or should i say tried to keep it all simple... it just seems to be a monster out of the box after a while if ya get my point.

thanks Veno, i'll think on it s'more and see what happens... prolly i'll end up overloadin' my one brain cell and blow a fuse 'er sumpin'

Old Jun 16th, 08, 03:53 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

YUP!! Oil will not run up hill any more than water will. The port on the base of the carb is what most folks use for the power brakes, and they use a vacuum port in a single manifold runner so that only one cylinder sees all of the oil that enters the motor from the PCV (that way detonation is limited to only one cylinder which can have a colder plug in it to reduce detonation if you run your motor on the ragged edge; or a hotter plug if it oil fouls, due to poor ring seal).

Big Dave
Old Jun 16th, 08, 03:57 PM
SHIFTY4

Thanks Dave, i'll get chunk of pipe and weld it to my roof and a roll of hose ta make sure it's on an uphill climb... that aughta hook me up... right ???

ya think a good, what, 10-12 feet of pipe should be OK ???

hehehe

Thanks Guys, you've settled a small prob that i thought might be bigger.

Johnny
Old Jun 16th, 08, 04:13 PM
Tech Team
Veno

Dont forget the duct tape..... if ya forget the tape... somthin will go wrong!

John.. make a perry jet, commonly known as a eductor with the 10' pipe and weld it about 8" off the roof line.... you wont need manifold vacuum for the PCV valve...

eductor are very common in the marine industry.... tho spected with water in the graphs.. air is of the same value...

Old Jun 16th, 08, 04:25 PM
SHIFTY4

OH GEEEZE now yer throwin' out that scientific hoopla on me... sheesh ya had me hooked with the duct tape now i'm gonna have ta go take a poop ta clear my head again !!!

HA !!!!
Old Jun 16th, 08, 06:08 PM
Tech Team
Veno

Old Jun 16th, 08, 09:38 PM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY4 View Post