1972 nova ss 350 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

What's it worth? & ebay discussions

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Nov 9th, 15, 11:27 PM
Noah

GMFOREVER has a positive reputation
Default 1972 nova ss 350

Hi, I am 15 and am looking for a muscle car as my first car, I was originally looking for a 1968-72 olds cutlass, but when I went to see a few cuttys, I saw this car, now I know enough about novas to see its a good deal, and I have already gone and looked at the car, I just want to know how much you all think its worth. Its a 72 nova ss with #'s matching 350. Has 4.10 posi, turbo 350 on the column with black buckets. There is a quarter size paint chip on the trunk lid, and a half dollar size dent in the corner of the roof. I just want to know how much you all think its worth before I tell you how much he wants, so after a few replies I will tell ya. Here is the link to pics: http://postimg.org/gallery/ru98vvaq/019f4338/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 15, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Brian

brian oneil has a positive reputation
Default Re: 1972 nova ss 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFOREVER View Post
Hi, I am 15 and am looking for a muscle car as my first car, I was originally looking for a 1968-72 olds cutlass, but when I went to see a few cuttys, I saw this car, now I know enough about novas to see its a good deal, and I have already gone and looked at the car, I just want to know how much you all think its worth. Its a 72 nova ss with #'s matching 350. Has 4.10 posi, turbo 350 on the column with black buckets. There is a quarter size paint chip on the trunk lid, and a half dollar size dent in the corner of the roof. I just want to know how much you all think its worth before I tell you how much he wants, so after a few replies I will tell ya. Here is the link to pics: http://postimg.org/gallery/ru98vvaq/019f4338/
It's worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. Does it have the letter "K" in the VIN number?
6.88 1/8th @ 100.00mph
Old Nov 10th, 15, 07:23 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Welcome to the Team Noah!

Old Nov 10th, 15, 08:42 AM
Noah

Thanks, and well I was kind of wondering how much it is worth. Hagerty priced the 72 ss 350 at 21k but that might be an estimate for rusty, perfect, and so on. This one has 4.10 posi, the original #'s matching 350 making I quote " around 350 hp." The thing is, im an olds guy but I like novas and I want to know if it will hold up its value. It has a k in the vin along with all of the papers. He wants 10k for it and my budget is 7-8.5k. I just want to know what YOU guys think its worth. I think it sounds good at 10k when they are normally 21k. Havent gone for a test drive tho! Or brought a magnet all around.
Old Nov 10th, 15, 09:57 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Welcome to the Team Noah!

That price is for a fully restored car not a project car. A desirable project car such as an SS in need of a lot of work would be in the four to five thousand dollar range assuming everything is there and working; but needing body work and paint. A plane Jane project car starts at two thousand or a little less if a more door. At this price you are not buying anything other than a project as they frequently will not even run (the reason the used car that became a collectable object was parked in the first place).

If that is a good ten foot car then for that price it would be a good buy as you will spend a lot more to properly restore it than that (about two to three times that amount not counting labor for new sheet metal, power train, etc.) Just be sure that who ever is selling it didn't just paint Bondo and actually repaired the rust issues and electrical issues found with any half century year old car. A refrigerator magnet will expose paint over plastic body filler (Bondo™), and a test drive and a multi-meter can expose potential electrical issues.

Minnesota isn't a hot bed of activity due to the population density being mostly agricultural, but we have a couple of members in the state and MAYBE one will volunteer to assist you in evaluating the car with you.

I commend you in your search for a good W-30 Olds 442 from Dr. Oldsmobile. Not many where made which is why so few survived, but it is good to respect the other GM marques. Even Chevy guys will admit that the fastest muscle car of the that era was a the 455 powered 1971 Buick Grand Sport Stage 1. It beat out the everything except the ZL-1 powered Corvette coupe back in day (and the ZL-1 wasn't a regular production option offered in the Corvette). So a nice 455 Olds would give a SBC Nova a run for it's money in the quarter mile.

To prove it here is a video of a 426 in a leaf suspension Road Runner against the 1972 W-30 Olds 442 with it's factory four link. Notice how easily the four link car with street tires gets off the line first while the leaf spring car just sits and spins. with the same street tires (which you shouldn't do a burn out with street tires, and definitely drive around the water box if you want to win).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJt_cM4G4k

The Hemi was the better engine (as defined by horsepower per cube) but lacked bottom end torque. The Olds big block made bottom to mid end torque in spades. This video shows how having horsepower alone won't do any good unless you can get that power to the ground.

Big Dave
Old Nov 10th, 15, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Jack

Jackel has a positive reputation

I would pay ten for it if I could look it over in person and it did not have cancer or bondo craters under the paint. Offer 7.5 cash and see what happens, you may get it for 8.5 or 9. Jack
Old Nov 10th, 15, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Pat

1quik69 has a positive reputation

If it doesn't have a "K" in the 5th spot of the vin it is not a true SS.
Old Nov 10th, 15, 02:49 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quik69 View Post
If it doesn't have a "K" in the 5th spot of the vin it is not a true SS.
1972 was the only year Nova where you can identify a "true" SS car from a plane Jane car with added badges just by looking at the VIN plate. There was a "K" in the VIN that denoted a special four barrel 350 that was only available with the SS option.

That 350 was a smog era engine so it was down in compression (free horsepower) as well as having a more moderate cam and junk heads so the motor itself is nothing to write home about (compared to the 350 horse 350 cube small block that was offered as an option only a year earlier).

But without that K you also don't have the HD shocks, stiffer rated multi leaf springs, a 12 bolt rear end (though in the 1972 the Nova was among the first GM vehicles to be equipped with the new 'Corporate' ten bolt rear end made by AAW instead of Spicer), Power Assisted disc brakes, HD radiator to cool a high Performance engine or the HD electrical system all of which where included along with a few badges and bucket seats on the SS model Nova. As such I would definitely cut my initial offer in half.

This is in fact a clone (aka "Tribute" car) which is to say a stock grocery getter than someone has stuck a couple of seven dollar a piece SS badges and bucket seats (from who knows what other car) in the car to improve it's perceived value.

Big Dave
Old Nov 10th, 15, 04:20 PM
Noah

There is a k in the vin, the buckets were added later I think. Was it possible to get an ss with a column and bucket seats? Did you see the pics? There is documentation.
Old Nov 10th, 15, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Brian

brian oneil has a positive reputation

Take a look at this site http://novaresource.org/rpo2.htm If you look at your cowl tag on the firewall it will tell you what your car came with from the factory.
6.88 1/8th @ 100.00mph
Old Nov 14th, 15, 10:25 AM
Tech Team

WILMASBOYL78 has a positive reputation
Post Re: 1972 nova ss 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFOREVER View Post
There is a k in the vin, the buckets were added later I think. Was it possible to get an ss with a column and bucket seats? Did you see the pics? There is documentation.
The paperwork is excellent...assuming the docs match the car...you have a real Nova SS. As for buckets and a column shift...that is very possible. The bucket seat interior did not automatically include a console...that was an option..as were the gauges. The cowl tag will indicate the interior trim that the car came with...no mystery there. **your docs indicate the 753 trim...which decodes to a deluxe black bench seat...so the buckets were most likely added somewhere along the way.

If the driveline is in good shape and the body is not full of plastic...10k is a very fair price.

wilma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement