bellhousing alignment (tech article) - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Performance High Performance!

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Mar 12th, 08, 04:57 PM
SHIFTY4

Default bellhousing alignment (tech article)

Hey NovaGuys & NovaChicks,

while looking for offset alignment dowels for my scattershield i found this interesting article that i thought would help some of you... take a look

http://www.camaros.org/bellhousings.shtml

i've added it to my JollyRodder site in the Link-Library for those of you who use it...

be Good !!!

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 12th, 08, 05:43 PM

stock z/28 has a positive reputation
Default Re: bellhousing alignment (tech article)

Hi John,

Thats cool article. The guy that builds the tools and the bellhousings in right here in Lafayette. Very sharp guy.

Jeff
Old Mar 12th, 08, 08:57 PM
Tech Team
Dave

67 Nova Boy has a positive reputation

Thanks for the link John!! I have never done that but will do when I yank the 302 out to freshen up!!

How did your's turn out?

Dave #3
67 Nova Boy

Old Mar 12th, 08, 09:05 PM
SHIFTY4

it didn't

the best Dave and i could get after numerous attempts was .007, and that's not good enough. it has to be within .005 (recommended for any Manual trans application, not just Tremec)

the dowels i used are an inferior product and that's probably the issue. they weren't offset the amount they claimed... so i'm waiting to get a better/higher quality set on order...

here's what i'm ordering http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html
Old Mar 12th, 08, 09:25 PM
Tech Team

bbdeuce has a positive reputation

I have one of those Browell bellhousing tools. Its go or no go. Of course it did'nt go. So , I got some of the lakewood adjustable dowels that you turn with a wrench and got it so the bushing would slide in and then locked it down. Should be fine. I'm installing a tremec so I wanted it perfect. I might be interested in renting the tool out if anyone is interested.
Old Mar 12th, 08, 09:30 PM
SHIFTY4

i used the drive in Lakewood dowels

they were supposed to be .014 units but didn't measure out that way... i looked locally for the dowels you're referring to but my local speed shop didn't carry them. they'd have to order which put costs over the ones i linked above...

i'd have been interested in renting the tool you mentioned but i'm already set up with a dial indicator... i know it's probably harder to do this way but it's here and didn't cost me anything...
Old Mar 12th, 08, 11:11 PM

Personally, I would think the indicator would be more accurate, than the tool, as far as concentricity to the crank center line, but that's just me.

Another issue that is not often talked about on the bellhousing is the surface where the trans bolts not being parallel with the flange that bolts to the block.

I have started (a couple years ago) grinding the trans mounting surface on a flywheel grinder so its accurate. Some are way off.

You can check that with an indicator off the crank, if you set the indicator up to sweep off of the mounting surface instead of the brg surface.
Old Mar 12th, 08, 11:16 PM
SHIFTY4

Jeff i forget if it was you or Philip that mentioned that to me a few days ago... i have to clean all the paint from the mounting surfaces and check the face as you're now suggesting (again maybe) uneven(?) paint takes up space...

sure is a lot different from when i was a young man... just slam the bell & tranny together and run it. but that's ok, the quality of parts have improved so i guess it's worth the extra effort to ensure longevity
Old Mar 12th, 08, 11:32 PM

John we talked about buffing the paint, but I dont think I mentioned checking the face of the bellhousing.

I actually think the older Lakewoods (pre MR Gasket) were more accurate than the later ones.
Old Mar 12th, 08, 11:35 PM
SHIFTY4

OK, then it was you well i took it that if the paint was uneven enough to cause the surface to be off then i thought it was meant it should be checked... so that's the plan. i'm hoping all this doesn't turn into a nightmare but i'm going to do it all. i mean, why not. if ya have the tools, USE 'EM
Old Mar 13th, 08, 12:14 AM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

We talked about the paint removal and checking the face too. Jeez you getting old timers again An on the dowels you have, you get what you pay for
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old Mar 13th, 08, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech Team *
ANTIGODERATOR!

David_H has a positive reputation

Ummm yah John you were telling me I think monday how you and philip talked about cleaning the paint off remember I couldn't remember if I cleaned my paint off and said ohwell if I ever pull the housing I will have to check it but atleast I know its dialed in the way it is

shheeeesh and just in case you don't remember me my name is David I am your good looking friend in Acton I have a 67 nova that we are doing body work to do you need a picture???

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old Mar 13th, 08, 11:42 AM
SHIFTY4

no, it's too early ta have the daylights scared outta me by lookin' at yer mug

that much i DO remember !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement