rear suspension and front subframe - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old May 3rd, 14, 10:59 PM
Tech Team
CJ

camarokid has a positive reputation
Default rear suspension and front subframe

So what would be the best rear suspension and front subframe for pro touring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 14, 08:06 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: rear suspension and front subframe

I am not familiar with the concept of Pro Touring. I have toured the entire US and ninety percent of Canada (the parts with roads, not the great white North that requires an Otter float plane to tour). I did it in either a 4x4 Suburban towing a pop up camper or a motor home. I would like to know where I send in the paper work to get paid for my touring as it cost me an arm and a leg to travel, and the term Pro implies you get paid for doing it.

If there is a sanctioning body with a rule book for Pro Touring I am not familiar with it. I have raced in IHRA, NHRA. USAC, and SCCA. (though the idea of just driving around in circles and running into the other bumper cars on the track had me selling my car by the end of my first season). Drag racing and auto cross as well a few real road races did entertain me. Road racing was by far, way too expensive, for my meager capabilities, even when I was still working (all of my competitors were retired millionaires that flew in to race shipping in their cars and crew and the support trucks all by air from Germany or Italy).

Can you describe just what a Pro Tour car does.

Big Dave
Old May 4th, 14, 10:25 PM
Tech Team
Brian

leveebound has a positive reputation

I gathered together all of my dictionary's today and looked up the words: Sarcastic, Wit, Sardonic and Shrewd. Sadly, no pictures of Dave with the mischievous smile that I can only assume to be permanently fixed upon his countenance ...

Old May 5th, 14, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Ya ignoring my lack of knowledge about pro touting the question I ask remains, just what do you want to do with the car. Once I know that I can recommend what will work best suspension wise to get you to your goal. Also need to know how original you want the car to remain (for example would you be willing to back half the car and run a full fourteen point cage to obtain your goals?).

Big Dave
Old May 9th, 14, 09:51 PM
Tech Team
CJ

so if you don't know that pro touring is road course racing then why are you even in this section?
Old May 9th, 14, 10:01 PM
Tech Team
scott

sevenzeronova has a positive reputation

Ride tech four link or BMR torque arm.
Old May 9th, 14, 10:03 PM
Tech Team
scott

Forgot speed tech track time full suspension.
Old May 10th, 14, 12:51 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Road Course Racing I am familiar with. We have three tracks in the state for competition, Homestead, Sebring and Daytona. Road racing such as the former TransAm series requires a good foundation to build upon as the suspension requires a stiff frame that will not easily deflect under severe loading. Unfortunately the pony cars didn't make the greatest bodies to work with and where only competitive with each other in the five liter class as European sports cars often sent as much time blinking their lights requesting the right to pass as they did in shifting their five to seven speed ZF gear boxes. Even the Corvette powered by a 427 was eclipsed by much faster Porsche and Ferrari cars in the seven liter class.

I think a seventies vintage TransAm car could be easily recreated if you wanted a fast street car, but I am no longer familiar with the current rules governing Sports Car Club of America, Inc. under their professional rules. I actually discovered that TransAm racing has been reintroduced with the advent of the seven liter and five liter LS-x motors allowing the cars to be competitive with a six speed Borg-Warner T-56 gear box.

http://www.gotransam.com/

Even back in the good old days a Nova being more brick shaped than the other light weight cars never won a race unless half the field was removed due to attrition in terms of mechanical failures and wrecks. You will be traveling at speeds approaching 140 mph were aerodynamics can have a serious affect upon performance.

Big Dave
Old May 11th, 14, 01:12 PM
Tech Team
CJ

well I could care less about rules as I don't plan to race professional. just something I can take to the local road course in pueblo.
Old May 11th, 14, 03:54 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

I would think a truck arm would work best in the back with coil overs in front of the rear axle. Up front aftermarket tubular A-arms to correct the steering geometry issues once again with coil overs instead of coil springs and separate shocks. You are going to want to put the softest (stickiest), widest, lowest profile tires that you can stuff inside the wheel wells up front and back with the rear inner tubs modified to accept the tires.

As far as frame stiffening goes, I would probably start with a Chris Alston or Art Morrison full frame and drop a stripped down and lightened body on top of it. Then I would tie it all together with a lot of MIG wire and tubing to make fourteen point cage.

Since no one makes an off the rack frame for a Nova I would talk to your chassis builder about setting the motor back and down substantially since there are no rules, an mount the motor and tranny solid in the car. Actually there is a full plastic 1968-72 body you can buy that is one third the weight of the steel one. It could be attached to the frame like a flopper or permanently with out riggers off the frame. That would eliminate a lot of lightening of the steel body.

SB2.2 power plant or a turbocharged LS-6 power plant and you could have a spiffy race car.

I built something similar when I mounted a 160 horse Corvair engine amid-ship using a VW microbus trans axle on an old, stretched, Go Cart frame.

Big Dave
Old May 11th, 14, 04:15 PM
Tech Team
CJ

and what exactly would be the widest tires I can run?
Old May 11th, 14, 04:31 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokid View Post
and what exactly would be the widest tires I can run?
That is the $64 dollar question. It will depend upon your car and how it is set up. That is why I first measure what I have to see what will fit using a tire fitment gauge made by Percy and if I need more I modify the car body.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-01201

Big Dave
Old May 11th, 14, 04:50 PM
Tech Team
CJ

and if I have a stock body and a modified frame that doesn't interfere with the travel and turning radias. whats the widest I can run without modifying the body?
Old May 12th, 14, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jeff Hayes

Blown73 has a positive reputation

as wide as will fit in the wheel well.

https://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19521
Old May 12th, 14, 06:05 PM
Tech Team
scott

Speed tech front clip will let you run 10" wide fronts.
Tub the rear for 15" wides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement