Whole car leans to the right 1" - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Mar 15th, 13, 08:55 AM
Tech Team
Brian

briansthomp has a positive reputation
Default Whole car leans to the right 1"

Okay guys I have a problem and my whole car leans to the right about 1" and the right front will settle from 23.25 down to 22.5 inches over a 2 day period. If I lift up on the fender well it will come back to 23.25 but the drivers side is at 24 inches.
I am measuring center wheel well on both sides.
I have 2" drop spindles, tubular up and lower control arms. With Big block coil springs.
One thing I have noticed is if I push on the dr side bumper the car will hardley move up and down. If I do the same thing on the pass. side the car moves like it has 6cy springs in it.
I have also added new body bushings.
What am i missing here guys I feel like I am chasing a needle in a hay stack. I understand if there is a little difference in ride heights from side to side just don't fee there should be that much.
Any help would be great.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 15th, 13, 09:55 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation
Default Re: Whole car leans to the right 1"

Could be a wrong spring or just a bad one, been down that road before...
Old Mar 15th, 13, 02:04 PM
Tech Team
Brian

It set 1" higher on the pass side with the small block spring than with the big block.
I talked to my bodyshop manager and he wants me to measure the frame and make sure that it has not been hit and been bent

Old Mar 15th, 13, 02:09 PM
Site Moderator
Art

Well, it is a possibility that the frame is bent, also you could have 1BB spring and 1SB spring??..
Old Mar 15th, 13, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Brian

brian oneil has a positive reputation

I would venture to say either the car has been smacked sometime in it's life, or you have a spring that has settled.

Since Novas do not have a full frame, the car could have been hit in the rear for example and have 1/16" per foot drop, and it would not easily be detecable in ones drive way. It may have to be measured on a frame machine.

Other areas you should be checking are any soft body mounts that are allowing the body to lay on the sub frame instead of rubber mounts.

If the car was smaked in the front, front sub frame could be bent or actually bent the upper and/or lower control arm.

Then again, it could be something as simple as a bad shock or ball joint.
6.88 1/8th @ 100.00mph
Old Mar 15th, 13, 02:29 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Okay. I have all new front suspension, and with small block springs it set higher on that side than it does now.
It also has all new body bushings.
It has to be a bad spring.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 03:59 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Springs are wound according to the weight placed upon each wheel. Moog and Eaton use factory weights unless you can provide them with scale weights. So if you specify a big block they use the weight Chevy has in the book describing a stock cast iron head big block with a cast iron water pump and cast iron intake manifold.

Now if you are like most others seeking high performance from your car you have probably already shed that 230 pounds of excess cast iron baggage. If you have further relocated the battery to the trunk and are using an aluminum radiator in place of a brass one you now have less weight over the nose than the factory small block had, especially if that SBC had A/C.

Can you see why your spring rates and free standing heights might be off?

Big Dave
Old Mar 15th, 13, 04:44 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Dave. I understand what you are saying. My problem is I had small block springs in there before and the ride height was higher on the pass. side. I installed bib block springs because I need to raise the ride height of the car 1 inch on each side.
It lowered the car on the pass side and raised it the required inch on the drivers side. The only thing it can be is a bad coil spring.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 04:57 PM
Site Moderator
Art

Or 1SB and 1 BB spring.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 05:35 PM
Tech Team
Brian

And I put 1" spring spacers in the small block springs to make sure that was the height that I was looking for. It was perfect and I did not want to run spacers so Big block springs worked out great as the compressed height was 3/4" and the small block with alluminum heads would give me the other 1/4-1/2" height I was looking for.
So when I took the small block springs out I made sure I left the spacers in and left the new springs in the box so there was no way that I could put the sb spring back in.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator
Art

But maybe the new ones are not identical?, I went through this a long time ago on a 65 Impala I had, fought it for a month before a friend of mine said let's take em out and check them, sure as heck I had two different springs both labeled the same, one was a SB and one was a BB..
Old Mar 15th, 13, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Brian

brian oneil has a positive reputation

Everything being equal and no frame damage, you got two different springs like Art has stated or you have one that has settled. Springs will do this on occasion where one will settles quicker than the other. If not, you have a bad spring. It is normal for your ride height to change after installing new springs, especially after driving around on them.
6.88 1/8th @ 100.00mph
Old Mar 15th, 13, 07:05 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

If you check the Moog catalog you will note that they have a different spring for the right hand side of the car and one for the left. They only way they sell you the same spring is if the weight distribution from left to right is identical which isn't always the case. There are over thirty four possible combinations of static height, spring rate, and coil diameter that will fit your car (actually it is listed on David Pozzi's first Generation Camaro site but the catalog lists the same springs for the Nova). Which one did you buy and why?

An BBC Frigidaire A-6 air conditioning compressor weights around 38 pounds The cast iron front and rear mounting brackets are another 23 pounds the top and bottom adjusting tensioner weight in at another 6 pounds the hoses another 7 pounds. The condenser is in the middle of the car offset by one inch to the passenger side where the compressor was mounted; but I will yield on that insignificant difference. The total weight not counting the heater core and fiberglass heater core box which is also different and on the passenger side of the car also adds weight (but I didn't weigh those parts as I took them off my car at the time because I thought I was going to retain defrost heat). So you have nearly 80 pounds hanging off the passenger front side of the motor in front of the axle centerline. Moog compensated for this weight with a different spring for the passenger side of the car.

You can see how an off the shelf spring might be right for one application but wrong for another. That is why when I spoke directly with the sales engineer they wanted a four corner weight before they would guarantee a proper fit for my custom wound springs (it was worth the nearly four month wait to get them).

Big Dave
Old Mar 15th, 13, 07:17 PM
Tech Team
Brian

My problem with that Dave is I put small block springs on the car since it started out as a 6 and went to a v-8. I put those springs in and they were fine less than a 1/4 inch from side to side. I want to raise the height of the car another inch and went with big block springs.
I installed them and one side went up 1" and the other side ended up settling down 1" so that is 2" diff. I am going to take a pretty educated guess that they gave me one wrong spring or the one wrong spring is bad.
I have since called summit and ordered a new set of 638 springs and will install them sunday. If that doesn't work them I am going to burn this bitch down.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 08:49 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansthomp View Post
My problem ... If that doesn't work them I am going to burn this bitch down.
Have you ever considered this solution for coil spring cars?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Front-...FQf0nAodYUAAJQ

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement