Car cover and storage tips - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Nova Tech For best results please choose from the forums below.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Nov 26th, 09, 04:37 PM
Joe

joesteff25 has a positive reputation
Default Car cover and storage tips

I just bought my first Nova (and first muscle car in general) and need some help with how best to store it over the winter. (I live in Wisconsin which means salt and snow and NO driving the car in that crap )

It will be stored either in a local business' shop or in my house's garage. Someone told me I should try to get it up off the ground, is that necessary? Any other storage tips for me?

Also, can anyone provide any insights into what a good car cover would be for me? I want to cover it all winter while it is indoors to prevent it from getting excessively dusty. But I also want a cover that is good for outdoor use if I take it to work in the summer and it has to sit outside all day. I've looked at California Car Covers and a few other brands but I'm not sure what's best for my application.

Thanks!!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 26th, 09, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Brian

brian oneil has a positive reputation
Default Re: Car cover and storage tips

I have my car on jack stands. This way the two front tires on not on the ground. I removed the rear tires as they are slicks, and we don't want them in the sun or exposed to freezing temperatures. I was stationed in WI back in the late 80's so I know what kinda winters you all go through up there. Most car covers will allow some dust to pass through them. So, unless you shrink wrap your car, dust is some what inevitable. You can always put a car cover on the car, and then cover it with a heavy gauge plastic tarp. For the summer time, in good weather, I really would worry about covering the car at work, as wind blows, car covers move around scratching your paint in the process.
6.88 1/8th @ 100.00mph
Old Nov 26th, 09, 11:32 PM
Senior Tech Team *
JAY

JAYARTER has a positive reputation

Greetings from Arizona
I bought 3 car covers from Calif Car Cover this year...I bought a heavier one for Elcamino and lighter nylon ones for Camaro and Chevelle
I would recomend heavier ones if its outside only for wind damage.
I like all three but my 68 Chevelle is always outside when projects are in the garage...the problem I had was wind and the nylon moving to much caused it to tear in two places...not defective. The best thing I can say is that Calif Car Company told me to send it back and they repaired it NO CHARGE, I will use them again for sure
Jay and Bj

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Old Nov 27th, 09, 10:10 AM
Joe

joesteff25 has a positive reputation

Brian and Jay...thanks for the replies and information...very helpful!!! I really appreciate it!
Old Dec 3rd, 09, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jeff Hayes

Blown73 has a positive reputation

Greetings from California!

I am fortunate enough to have a few days during the winter where I can take my car out. But, I do "winterize" my boat, which has a few applicable parts.

1. Drain the coolant/water. I am assuming it gets below freezing there for extended amounts of time, no need to deal with the hassle of blown freeze plugs.

2. Put the car in the air, on the suspension. Its good to have the car sitting on its sprung weight.

3. Obvious things, like the battery, put a tender, or disconnect it. OR just plan on charging it come spring.

- Oil change after it has been sitting.
- Fuel stabilizer, or drain it.
Old Dec 3rd, 09, 06:48 PM
Tech Team
Alice

Alice the Malice has a positive reputation

I live in Canada so I know what kind of winters you're talking about. I got a spot in a heated garage so I didn't have to do anything but drive it in. This garage is for classic/uber expensive cars so my car is in a good company, ha ha. I found the storage place by checking local adds on Kijiji and Used (I assume you have something similar in the US). Now that you mention the dust, I should have covered mine... good tip for next year!
Old Dec 4th, 09, 01:47 PM
Tech Team
nathan

tx71nova has a positive reputation

you dont have to drain the antifreeze just make sure its strong enough. i live in minnesota and last year we had 37 below for awhile and my antifreeze didnt freeze at all but i would recommend draining the washer fluid that stuff is only good till 20 degrees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement