350 to 396 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Nova Tech For best results please choose from the forums below.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Apr 23rd, 12, 03:04 PM
roger

roger72 has a positive reputation
Question 350 to 396

I have a 72 nova 350/350 want to change to a396/t400 What do i have to change? motor mts, ac condenser, heater core, ?????
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 03:07 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: 350 to 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger72 View Post
I have a 72 nova 350/350 want to change to a396/t400 What do i have to change? motor mts, ac condenser, heater core, ?????
Welcome to the Team Roger!

Yes!

Sorry about the one word answer. I thought I had written a small pamphlet out lining everything that was needed to swap over to a big block (including all of the part numbers ) but after spending a half hour looking for it I guess I wrote that over on the Camaro board (since it is the same swap because your Nova uses a first gen Camaro sub frame). I will send you a PM with an article I saved from the June 1991 issue of Super Chevy that outlines a complete conversion using all stock parts to properly clone a 396 SS Camaro.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; Apr 23rd, 12 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Couldn't find my mind, lost it somewhere
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 07:22 PM
Tech Team
jack

jackb has a positive reputation

sorry posted in wrong post dont know how to delete it

Last edited by jackb; Apr 23rd, 12 at 07:33 PM. Reason: wrong post
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 07:32 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Jack that is a 348 LS-x motor, not a 396 BBC (Though they both have seperate exhaust pipes so I can see where you might be confused)

Big Dave
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 07:34 PM
Tech Team
jack

jackb has a positive reputation

dave i posted in wrong place and dont know how to delete it'
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 07:38 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

I think ya got it cause it's gone now. I also deleted the duplicate post on the "right" thread. I figured it was posted in error (hence the ribbing).

Big Dave
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 07:59 PM
Tech Team
Neil

blk74nova has a positive reputation

I found it in the 68-74 threads! Its a sticky there. Big Dave write up helped me out a bunch.
Old Apr 24th, 12, 04:54 PM
Tech Team
Quinn

IrishNovaSs has a positive reputation

Could you post the thread to that please. I am also looking at a 69/70 350 Nova in my area & would like to do the transfer
Old Apr 24th, 12, 05:04 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishNovaSs View Post
Could you post the thread to that please. I am also looking at a 69/70 350 Nova in my area & would like to do the transfer

Here it is!

https://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8433

Big Dave
Old Apr 24th, 12, 08:23 PM
Tech Team
Quinn

Thank you Dave! I have another question. Being Nova's & Camaro share some parts, I saw on NationalPartsDepot.Com they are selling the steel dash for a '69 Camaro, I know they look similar as a base, but would it work as a replacement for a Nova?
Old Jun 11th, 19, 02:05 PM

smf396 has a positive reputation

thanks dave do you know if its the same for a 396/350 transmission? i also was wondering if with the correct brackets if i can use the alt and power steering pump off the 350 thanks
Old Apr 25th, 12, 05:36 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

It will not interchange. The wind shield base on a Camaro differs from a Nova because of the the angle of the glass. The roof line is several inches lower on a Camaro.

I like to think of the Nova as a comfortable Camaro with a semi-functional back seat (it will hold children or a large dog, the Camaro's rear seat is limited to small dogs, and maybe a few base ball caps which probably explains why there are no four door Camaros because it doesn't have a back seat). This is due to the added two and a half inch increase in the wheel base between the two cars.

Big Dave
Old Apr 25th, 12, 12:32 PM
Tech Team
Quinn

OK that is what I had figured. The two Nova's I am looking at are non-a/c & I was hoping to make them a/c cars and look as factory as possible.
Old Apr 25th, 12, 01:45 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Look at an A/C equipped four door car that is a rust bucket otherwise. Salt water off the roads rarely ever gets that high up on the dash to rust that part of the dash out. So you get not only the needed dash but the hoses, A/C control mechanism, doors and evaporator as well as the cold air box plus the hoses and dash vents. Anything forward of the firewall is the same on a four door and a two door. The dash is the same as well as the foot well kick panels for the A/C car that will fit into your two door car.

As far as that goes the other NOVA cars (Nova, Omega, Ventura, and the Apollo) all used the same parts except for the trim (vents and control panel) and A/C was a much more common option on the more expensive cars. You might even score some four way power bucket seats, electric powered windows, powered remote control mirrors, and lighted glove box .

Big Dave
Old Apr 25th, 12, 02:08 PM
Tech Team
Quinn

That might be the better option. On an interesting side note, my brother in law's boss found out how I recently graduated from a collision school & knows that I want to get into restorations. His father used to have a body shop but retired and closed it down, so he took most of the equipment & built himself a body shop garage at his house. Sitting in this garage is a 57 Bel Air that he wants someone to work on & he asked for my number. To me it would be a bonus just getting the opp to work on the vehicle, as I paint by nature. My brother in law informs me that he has a few cars sitting around, one being s 67 Nova. I am thinking of just offering my services in trade for the Nova, once i get a look & see its condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement