How can I improve my cars horsepower and sound? - Page 2 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Nov 17th, 19, 05:13 PM
Tech Team

Elvis has a positive reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Elvis
Default Re: How can I improve my cars horsepower and sound

That's only one variation of the Sagniaw, Dave.
There was also a 3.5/1.89 and 3.11/1.84 gearset, as well as the standard truck gearset; 2.85/1.68.
GM took those 3-peed gearsets and developed 4-speed gearsets from them, too.
Problem with a Saginaw is its a notchy transmission.
Hard to speed shift.
The Muncie was much better at doing that.
Here's a link showing the specs on the Saginaw's, if anyone's interested...https://www.advanceadapters.com/tech...w-3--4-speeds/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 12th, 19, 09:53 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rets View Post
I have a 1976 with a inline 6 engine I want to improve on the horsepower and sound what can I do to it?
Rets,

Did you ever do anything with your Nova?

Elvis
Old Feb 27th, 20, 04:14 PM

Rets has a positive reputation

I haven’t worked on it at all I don’t have the chance to right now. I wanna turbo charge it but I have no idea where to begin. I appreciate all the help and recommendations from everyone.

Old Feb 27th, 20, 05:46 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

You can turbocharge any engine, but is the cost worth the return (ROI in business speak). You can find a used 305 for the price of it's scrap value ($8.70 per hundred weight). This will nearly double your power level, for the price of the conversion (motor mounts and exhaust pipes and a bigger radiator).

Once you have a SBC under the hood up and running you can now begin saving for a bigger beter SBC (I'd recommend a Blue Print SBC 400). If that doesn't feed your need for speed (and you can easily exceed the performance of a BBC396 with a SBC 400 at half the costs) then you can think about turboshargers et. al.)

I think you will be very happy with just a SBC 400 while retaining your 305 air cleaner and decal.

Big Dave
Old Mar 20th, 20, 02:23 AM
Tech Team

I agree with Dave here, for the reason of how well the head will seal.
The inline sixes were only made with two rows of head bolts, yielding 4 bolts / cylinder.
With the V8's, you have 5 bolts / cylinder, due to an extra row of head bolts that run down the middle of the cylinders.
One extra bolt might not seem like much, but it is paramount for keeping the cyliinder sealed when the pressure is increased (and that's how a turbo works. It increases cylinder pressure).
Not saying you absolutely can't turbo a 250 (there's a series of youtube videos on that very subject), but if you're hot on a turbocharged engine, you're better off using one of the V8's, whether big block or small.
That being said, a mildly modified inline six can be a lot of fun to drive, especially in a light car like a Nova.

Elvis
Old Mar 25th, 20, 12:17 AM

I do have 1978 nova with a 305 in it but I’m still unsure on what I want to do.
Old Mar 25th, 20, 02:40 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

305 is a boat anchor looking for a tramp steamer to claim it. Bores are way too small to make any power. You need a minimum of a four inch bore block (327 or a 350) that you then rebuild as a 383. Or find a SBC 400 and rebuild it as a 406 (standard rebuild) or a 424 to a 454 (which is much more expensive depending upon the displacement and parts being available from China).

At least with the 305 motor you have an 8.5 inch corporate rear that can be built up to handle a 406 easily.

Big Dave
Old Mar 25th, 20, 08:13 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Total waste of time and money on a 305.
Old Mar 25th, 20, 10:09 PM

What about a 350 from a 69 Camaro.
Old Mar 25th, 20, 10:22 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

A 350 can be a high reving 355 for the strip or a 383 stump puller for the street. 1969 means it is a good candidate as it will have a stronger block (newer engines have a weaker block as Chevy pulled out cast iron to save money knowing a smog motor wouldn't stress the block, and to lighten the block to improve CAFE numbers for federal reporting).

Big Dave
Old Mar 25th, 20, 10:58 PM
Site Moderator
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
A 350 can be a high reving 355 for the strip or a 383 stump puller for the street. 1969 means it is a good candidate as it will have a stronger block (newer engines have a weaker block as Chevy pulled out cast iron to save money knowing a smog motor wouldn't stress the block, and to lighten the block to improve CAFE numbers for federal reporting).

Big Dave
What he said..
Old Mar 25th, 20, 11:31 PM

How much hp would I be getting?
Old Mar 25th, 20, 11:47 PM
Site Moderator
Art

Depends on heads, valve train, induction etc, how much power= how much you want to spend.
Old Mar 25th, 20, 11:49 PM

How about at least 315 horsepower
Old Mar 26th, 20, 09:05 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

You can expect 140 (2 barrel base engine) to 350 horsepower in the Z/28 and LT-1 Corvette with factory heads (three different choices in intake port size and vale diameter). You also have to consider induction (carb cfm, and intake manifold). Almost all SBC engines had had the same log cast iron exhaust manifolds. Bigger pipes and dual exhaust disappeared after 1974.

Need to add to what Art said to include compression ratio. 1970 was the last year for a performance engine (the 350 horse 350 in the Camaro, Nova, and Corvette). 1971 was the beginning of the end as compression dropped in anticipation of unleaded gas that was supposed to appear at your local gas station in 1974. It fact wasn't fully implemented until 1983 when the last of the leaded gas disappeared, so we lost a full decade of muscle cars to a policy that wasn't followed.

With today's pump gas being the same octane rating as was used in the late fifties you are limited in your compression which is free horsepower. With a 350 equipped with modern aftermarket heads, and a modern computer designed roller cam you can obtain the 500 horsepower numbers that are common today. You will never see more than 350 out of a factory casting even with porting and bigger valves as they are restrictive compared to today's free flowing heads, and today's gas will not run in a 11.5:1 engine.

By the way get horsepower out of your mind unless you are going for a land speed record at Bonneville or are chasing your tail around the high banked oval track of Daytona or Talladega. Those are the only form of racing where horsepower matters (and used to be painted on the hood of the cars back when they actually ran a modified stock car at the race track).

What you want to think about is building torque. The more torque you can generate the faster you can accelerate your car's weight. That is why I mentioned the 383 option since it has a longer stroke than the 350 and can more easily generate more bottom end torque. It is also why you won't find a 4x4 diesel truck at the race track, with a 1,000 foot pounds of torque from idle to WOT they have a distinct advantage over a gas engine, and are banned by the NHRA from racing (they have their own tracks for drag racing and pulling semi trailers).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement