Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72 Nova - Page 2 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova
   

Auto Insurance



Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old Feb 9th, 09, 01:01 PM
SHIFTY4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

i have a collection of pictures comparing the TKO / T5 / Muncie differences... side by side pics and quite a few installation shots

http://rides.webshots.com/album/507270287QnWxoa
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17  
Old Feb 9th, 09, 03:17 PM
chevyIIheavy chevyIIheavy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 797
chevyIIheavy has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
My McLeod bell housing has the dual pattern and will fit a starter on either side.
i like these units to bad they dont fit all novas i have a 63 and the guys from mcleod said i would have to modify my trans tunnel he told me to just use the lakewood sfi bellhousing
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Feb 9th, 09, 03:25 PM
SHIFTY4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

here's the Lakewood unit i used: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

it needed a slight amount of clearancing for the headers...

i'd recommend trying to go hydraulic if possible with an aftermarket clip. Heidt's centers the engine (1") and that's going to make the z bar too long and will need to be sectioned/shortened. also to clear the inner fender because of the z bar lever a 4" x 4" hole is needed in the inner fender for z bar lever to swing.

here's a Lakewood housing for the T5 tranny that David H used on his '67 with a hydraulic set up that worked great with his Heidt's clip: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku


hope i helped

JR
Reply With Quote
 
  #19  
Old Feb 12th, 09, 03:07 PM
KeislerJeff KeislerJeff is offline
Tech Team
Jeff
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 39
KeislerJeff has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyIIheavy View Post
i like these units to bad they dont fit all novas i have a 63 and the guys from mcleod said i would have to modify my trans tunnel he told me to just use the lakewood sfi bellhousing
All Novas will need floor tunnel mods but dont let it scare you, the results are totally worth it!

Last edited by KeislerJeff; Feb 13th, 09 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Feb 12th, 09, 03:45 PM
SHIFTY4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeislerJeff View Post
All Novas will need floor tunnel mods but dont it scare you, the results are totally worth it!

i'd say X2 but i think it'd be a higher value than that... absolutely the BEST component on/in my car. now i'm not going to bag on the TKO for racing, but if the car was a dedicated 1/4 mile track car, i'd go with an automatic... but OH Man, on the street, Freeway cruising... i don't think the TKO can be beat... unless you go with a T56 6 speed
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Feb 12th, 09, 09:25 PM
Philip Philip is offline
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Marana, AZ 85653
Posts: 9,449
Philip has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
When is someone going to design a multi bolt explosion proof bell housing that fits Chevy, Buick, Olds, and Pontiac engines? I want to go with the 5 speed eventually, but I don't want to have to get two bell housings as my car will probably start its street life with a crate 350 while I beat the snot out of it I will be building my 501 cid Pontiac engine. Also when will the 6 speed get a redesigned mount that will mount on Pontiac engines without the use of adapters?
Part number WE-8650
__________________
--------------------------------
64 Nova
77 Nova, 406, TKO 600, 3.73 8.5" 10 bolt SOLD
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Feb 20th, 09, 11:13 AM
droptop63 droptop63 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
droptop63 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Hello, I have a 63 nova with a 383, about 500HP, has 350 auto with shift kit, 373 gears, It gets the job done, I miss shifting, I want to switch to a 5 speed or 6 speed, I know the 6 speed will cost more, but what are the pros and cons verses 5sp or 6sp, thanks
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Feb 20th, 09, 04:52 PM
Sprinter Sprinter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Sprinter has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Can you throw shifts with these rial type trans the same as a munice and a Hurst shifter?I mean basicly stomp the clutch and yank the shifter when speed shifting. All the rial types I've driven were not very friendly that way.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Feb 27th, 09, 11:37 AM
Keisler Keisler is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Keisler has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop63 View Post
Hello, I have a 63 nova with a 383, about 500HP, has 350 auto with shift kit, 373 gears, It gets the job done, I miss shifting, I want to switch to a 5 speed or 6 speed, I know the 6 speed will cost more, but what are the pros and cons verses 5sp or 6sp, thanks
With a LOT of fab work, you can make the T56 work. The 6-speed has 2 overdrives to keep you in the powerband at highway speeds of 55mph and up. The shift quality of the T56 is better than the good quality of the TKO.

Our PerfectFit 5-speed is the only Tremec kit that puts the shifter EXACTLY in the factory location. You can run a console or not, use the factory carpet, boot, ring, etc.

We will have a '67 Chevy II coming to the shop next week for a TKO PerfectFit kit and hydraulic clutch kit.

You guys interested in some pics and video??
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Feb 27th, 09, 01:47 PM
SHIFTY4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisler View Post
We will have a '67 Chevy II coming to the shop next week for a TKO PerfectFit kit and hydraulic clutch kit.

You guys interested in some pics and video??

do we have to supply our own popcorn ?

OF COURSE we want a write up & video !!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Feb 27th, 09, 08:51 PM
Sprinter Sprinter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Sprinter has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisler View Post
With a LOT of fab work, you can make the T56 work. The 6-speed has 2 overdrives to keep you in the powerband at highway speeds of 55mph and up. The shift quality of the T56 is better than the good quality of the TKO.

Our PerfectFit 5-speed is the only Tremec kit that puts the shifter EXACTLY in the factory location. You can run a console or not, use the factory carpet, boot, ring, etc.

We will have a '67 Chevy II coming to the shop next week for a TKO PerfectFit kit and hydraulic clutch kit.

You guys interested in some pics and video??
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY4 View Post
do we have to supply our own popcorn ?

OF COURSE we want a write up & video !!!

Thats Cool!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Mar 5th, 09, 04:29 PM
Keisler Keisler is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Keisler has a positive reputation
Thumbs up Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

OK, the car is here at our shop. It will be coming up on deck shortly.

Video and pics to follow... Stay Tuned!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Mar 5th, 09, 09:14 PM
Sprinter Sprinter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Sprinter has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Can you throw shifts with these rial type trans the same as a munice and a Hurst shifter?I mean basicly stomp the clutch and yank the shifter when speed shifting. All the rial types I've driven were not very friendly that way.
ttt
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Mar 9th, 09, 06:11 PM
Keisler Keisler is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Keisler has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Can you throw shifts with these rial type trans the same as a munice and a Hurst shifter?I mean basicly stomp the clutch and yank the shifter when speed shifting. All the rial types I've driven were not very friendly that way.
Hi Tom,

Yes, you can definitely do that up to about 6500RPM. Above that, the shift speed will drop off, as the transmission was not designed for that. It doesn't mean it can't or won't shift at the higher rpm.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Mar 14th, 09, 09:14 PM
Sprinter Sprinter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Sprinter has a positive reputation
Default Re: Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72

OK, thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
keisler, kiesler, t56, tko, tremec

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bucket seats 72 nova car-man602 Interiors 3 Nov 23rd, 08 08:21 PM
Need external dimensions of '72 Nova catwoman! Body Shop 7 Mar 22nd, 08 10:45 AM
'72 Nova Promo? mathewkozak New Member Introductions 3 Oct 27th, 07 05:08 PM
72 Nova Overdrive Trans Swap 72Rally Driveline 4 Jun 1st, 07 09:36 PM
72 Nova Rear Assembly Swap 72Rally Driveline 2 May 29th, 07 08:42 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.


2009 AutoForums
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.