Tremec TKO 600 into 1962 Chevy II - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Dec 10th, 14, 10:40 PM
Tom

62todo has a positive reputation
Default Tremec TKO 600 into 1962 Chevy II

Hello,

Have been surfing the forums, web, google, bing, etc. looking for a floor board cutout template to install a TKO 600 into what was once an automatic 2-speed power glide factory equipped 1962 Chevy II.

Purchased an American Powertrain "ProFit" conversion kit which does not include a template nor a tunnel patch? Found lots of various threads and a photo or two but no templates or actual measurements.

Template not entirely critical as I have all the components and will do whatever it takes to get it installed. I suspect a template + photo would prove helpful.

Looking for template and / or any prior learning / experiences / recommendations / etc. from others.

Also, I can post my install as it proceeds?

Thanks, 62todo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 11th, 14, 09:00 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Tremec TKO 600 into 1962 Chevy II

Not only can you we encourage you to do so!

Phillip installed a TKO 600 in his car but his car was a 1977 Nova not the smaller Chevy II. He had to cut and then cut again to get a good fit as there was no template available for his car which shares the same toe boards and front floor pan as the first generation Camaro.

Since All GM vehicles (every make and model from 1952 and up) share the same plane where the motor ends and the face of the bell housing begins and you know the overall length from face of the bell housing to the rear seal on the tranny you should be able to create a template on light card board to fit. If you got the cardboard wet and lay it across the tunnel it would conform to the shape of the tunnel As it dries it would retain that shape. You could then cut the card board and see if it clears the tranny out of the car (this will require finding a reference point to measure from easily on the car's floor boards that you would then transfer to the card board).

Or you can do it the old way of trial fit starting with a small hole centered upon the handle and trimming it to fit as you finally install the tranny in place.

Big Dave
Old Dec 11th, 14, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jeff Hayes

Blown73 has a positive reputation

if you have the tools and the capability to do the work yourself, then I would recommend cutting out a little more than you need and replace. I did that on my 73 (and technically my 67) and it worked out well.

https://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19521

Old Dec 11th, 14, 11:08 PM
Tom

Thanks for the feedback.Great idea on conforming the cardboard.
I will post some photos as the install progresses.
The feedback is always appreciated as this is my first go at it.

Tomorrow I may combine the cardboard idea with fabricating a simple wood mock- up which will replicate the wider portions of the top, the face and the bottom mount of the tko.

My thought is to get the wood mock- up done stab the motor back in and then have a manageable assembly of a wood mock- up to work with to get the first ruff cut on the floor board. This is solo with no tranny jack so I don' t see me grappling with the tko while attempting to figure out where to cut.

Thanks
62todo
Old Dec 12th, 14, 07:09 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

You can buy a transmission adapter for your floor jack at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool or your favorite Chinese tool importer for under $50 normally. It looks like this one that the retailer wants to start at $15 over what he bought it for to cover his embarrassment at been seen inside a Chinese tool store.

Amazon.com: XtremepowerUS 1/2 Ton Transmission Hydraulic Floor Jack Adapter: Automotive Amazon.com: XtremepowerUS 1/2 Ton Transmission Hydraulic Floor Jack Adapter: Automotive

Or you can buy an entirely new transmission floor jack for under $200.

Amazon.com: Torin TR4076 Roll Under Transmission Jack - 1000 lbs.: Automotive Amazon.com: Torin TR4076 Roll Under Transmission Jack - 1000 lbs.: Automotive

I didn't realize how much these cheap tools have increased in price since I was last seen wearing a paper bag over my head at Harbor Freight's Store in Tampa. I have only been out of the trade about twelve years and prices are up 25% from then which indicates that the economy is recovering if they think they can charge more for the same junk. I paid $1700 for my transmission jack according to my old records. Ok so maybe I bought that jack a few decades ago as the same Snap-on jack now costs $3,135 on their web site. For the difference in price I can not recommend the American made part.

Big Dave
Old Dec 12th, 14, 09:32 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Gotta watch some of those cheapo jack adapters some sit too high on the jack, and with the car all the way up on stands you still can't slide the tranny out from under it. Even with this one there's not much room to slide it out..
Old Dec 12th, 14, 08:32 PM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

To do mine the bell housing was bolted to the engine and the TKO bolted to that. The shifter plate was removed and the transmission lifted up to the floor. Marks were made under the car on the floor at the corners of each of the square shapes on the transmission. Transmission then was removed, the marks were center punched and 1/8" holes drilled. The cutting was done from the top using the holes to see where the transmission was going to be. Once the floor was cut open the transmission was installed again to check for fit, the floor marked in areas that need more clearance. With the second install the height of the patch was determined. For my 77 a parts car was available so a section of the floor was removed from it and used for a patch.

If you want to create a template see where the bellhousing face is in relationship to the floor seam. From that point measurements can be made and the floor cut without having to install the transmission until it is time for a trial fit.

72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old Dec 15th, 14, 10:26 PM
Tom

Over the weekend able to dial in the bell housing and found 0.018" total run out. Checked the total run out with 3 different locations of dial indicator and re-measured each position at least twice. Ordered a set of RobbMc 0.007 offset dowels.

Also fabbed a wood mock-up of the TKO and stuffed engine back into '62.

I have optimism that I can continue to heat and hammer the tunnel and minimize cutting. This optimism is based on the fact that I have not set the TKO on the bell housing under the '62 yet and have only used the template. For a moment I thought of wrestling the TKO solo until I remembered the invoice $$$ and then thought the better of it. Will borrow a friends tranny jack this week end and see how much more I can stretch (a.k.a. hammer and heat) before the cutter comes out.

Looks like the beginning of a crime scene below:

When I get the TKO in the bay with clearance and entirely up in the tunnel (again with clearance) I will post some more photos and outline and dimension how much I had to remove.
Old Dec 16th, 14, 09:31 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

You are going to need more room than that: as even with the motor bolted down with solid mounts, the car body will flex more than you have allowed on the "Body Out-Line" drawing.

Big Dave
Old Dec 16th, 14, 09:44 AM
Site Moderator
Art

I think maybe a little surgery is in order to get good fit.
Old Dec 16th, 14, 09:30 PM
Site Moderator

Stretching the metal that much makes it quite a bit thinner. The floor is part of the unibody structural design and overall may weaken the structure.

Mine after the patch

Carpet and console fit fine with the raised floor.

Old Dec 27th, 14, 10:18 AM
Tom

I have been weaving in some time to work on the 62 TK0 install during the holidays (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all)!

Tunnel surgery was indeed necessary after stretching. I will post a cut-out and dimensions when I finalize. At this point the TK0 is mounted to the block, on a tranny jack and up in the 62. I cannot finalize the install as the X Factor cross member from American Powertrain (http://americanpowertrain.com/i-1012...-chevy-ii.html) does not fit. The cross member design interferes with the under-carriage and the holes in the cross member do not align to the chassis. Based on this lack of cross member fit I cannot fully confirm the floor board cut-out and final TK0 install. I am working with American Powertrain in order to see what can be done to fix this i.e. get a different correct cross member which fits correctly.

From what I can tell the tunnel is approximately 18 gauge steel (via a micrometer). Phillip can you advise what gauge you used for a patch and do you remember where the boot in the photo came from? I have a 22 gauge sheet which is easy to work with but appears to be too flimsy. The 16 gauge plate I have is super strong but tough to form and work with and is probably over-kill. I have not found an 18 gauge plate yet. I have a '62 hood that has been sitting around (for several years) that I have been unable to sell (last price $40.00 on Craigslist) that I may cut-up despite the fact it pains me sacrifice the original hood. Anyone in CO willing to trade a few sheets of 18 gauge steel for an original 62 hood?

The America Powertrain ProFit TK0 purchase has been lined with a lot of errors and missteps by American Powertrain which should have never happened and could have been avoided. This latest hiccup with the non-fitting cross member compounds my frustrations! At this point American Powertrain is promising the cross member issue will get fixed. I will post status updates on this as they occur.

If anyone is considering an automatic to TK0 conversion and would like to discuss my experiences with American Powertrain please PM me. When this is complete I will post the info and final summary.
Old Dec 27th, 14, 10:33 AM
Site Moderator
Art

Might be worth talking to these guys about a crossmember??..

http://www.proformancepowertrain.com...vy2_62-67.html
Old Dec 27th, 14, 11:22 AM
Site Moderator

Tom I used the same gauge metal as was removed. The piece was cut out of another car and then trimmed to fit as needed. Any early GM car should work for the donor piece. The shifter boot was a Hurst, but the largest one I could find. I wanted to have access to remove the shifter plate for easier removal of the transmission in the future. As it turned out it was not necessary on my 77. By just unbolting the handle the engine can be angled down enough for the shifter to clear the floor for removal (had it out twice since the original install).

Last edited by Philip; Dec 27th, 14 at 11:55 AM.
Old Dec 27th, 14, 11:53 AM
Tom

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1962, swap, template, tremec