My 70 project - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

New Member Introductions New here? Please stop in and introduce yourself.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jan 10th, 20, 01:21 AM
Dan

alloy has a positive reputation
Default My 70 project

I bought this about 6 weeks ago and drug it home. Previous owner started an LS 6.0 install and did more harm than good. He had no business taking on a project like this. The car barely survived him.

He had a turbo 350 behind the LS motor. It was connected to the engine, but not a good fit. Nothing lined up. I'm staying with the LS, using a T56, and bought a Ford 9" for it.

I pulled the sub frame over Christmas and found the car had been involved in a minor accident, but it hit just right to damage the sub frame, and it was repaired rater poorly. Crappy welds, and a large crack in it. Luckily I found a replacement for $250 in excellent shape. It's at sand blasting and hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow.

Other tings I've found is that he bought an aftermarket LS universal harness and threw the original harness away with all the plugs and connectors. Thankfully I also got a stock harness from the same guy that I got the sub frame from. Things like the wiper motor, master cylinder push rod, trunk lock, stupid little things he lost. I know he had them at one point, he drove the car and told me how bad the engine was.

Tomorrow I'm going to start replacing the floor pans. Other than that the floors the car is rust free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 10th, 20, 07:36 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation
Default Re: My 70 project

Nice ride..
Old Jan 10th, 20, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Welcome to the Team!

Need to support the brake lines. Can't leave them hanging in mid air like that. You are going to need a fan shroud for your plastic fan to work correctly. Other wise a great looking project.

I prefer the earlier clear turn signal lenses with an amber bulb just as a mater of esthetics.

Big Dave

Old Jan 10th, 20, 12:29 PM
Site Moderator
Art

I think the lines will be ok once he bolts them up to the master cylinder.
Old Jan 10th, 20, 04:17 PM
Dan

I sincerely appreciate everyone looking out for me. Nothing will be like in the pics. I've been doing this for fourty years and never have I see so much mickey mouse crap on a car, especially what was supposed to be his hot rod.

All new lines, booster, prop valve, front and rear disks, tilt column are here Everything you see in the pics was from the previous owner. I have found so many things that just leave me shaking my head. The car "was" a mess and I'm still trying to sort everything out.

I'll post some more pics later today of the good, the bad, and the ugly. I need to go pick up my sub frame now so I can get it painted and put on this weekend.
Old Jan 10th, 20, 07:25 PM
Dan

Got my sub frame back, looks great. Only cost me $80 to have it blasted.

I missed the comment earlier about the fan. It's up too high on the engine to be useful. I'm going with an electric fan and controller. I'm also going to mount the alternator and a GM type II small power steering pump down low on each side of the engine. I've got the alternator mount designed up in CAD and I just need to go out and program it and run it on my machining center.

Here are a few pics. The pic of the car on the lift is it's current state.

These are just a few of the things I've found on the car. Honestly this guy should not be allowed to own a tool of any kind.

And thanks for accepting me here. It's nice to have a warm welcome.

Last edited by alloy; Jan 10th, 20 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 20, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

That repair is old, because they were using a stick welder. Looking at the blobs probably a Sears Our Finest! Man I would be embarrassed to have that attributed to me, not to mention stacking square steel plates. Couldn't they find a band saw, or own a hack saw to cut the steel to shape?

Big Dave
Old Jan 10th, 20, 09:11 PM
Site Moderator
Art

That is some nasty crap there, don't think it's the machine it's the dork using the machine, lol.. Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch a vehicle..
Old Jan 10th, 20, 09:37 PM
Dan

That's just a few of the things I've found on the car. The previous owner put a disk brake and tubular control arm setup on the car. He had to have seen the damage. How could you not see it?

Honestly I'd not have bought it if I'd have known about all the problems. I'm almost embarrassed to tell everyone I missed the sub frame problem when I bought the car. Thankfully the repair along with sand blasting only cost $330 along with a 200 mile road trip. Did my best when I looked at it, but I'll get it fixed along with everything else. Just takes time, and $$$

The other thing I'm very concerned about now after seeing all this is he is the one that put the engine together. I hope he had help when he did it.

The scary thing is this guy in a chiropractor. I sure wouldn't go to him.

Anyway the sub frame looks great. And finally got my leaf spring bushings in. I ordered them Christmas day.

Old Jan 10th, 20, 11:11 PM
Site Moderator
Art

Looks good, I wouldn't be embarrassed heck you saved it, and now it'll be done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement