Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First post, starting a 1966 project.....

36K views 147 replies 20 participants last post by  HectorM52 
#1 ·
Well,

This is my first post on Team Nova.... but not my first Nova or restoration. I am building this 66 for a very close friend of mine who is several hours away. We will probably both be posting and following this thread here.. What we are building is a 66 with all Heidts suspension, 454 big block, overdrive auto trans, and maybe semi-pro-touring... So, let's start with some photos from day ONE...

I hope that we can contribute as much as we take from this site.....
In the background covered up is my Hugger Orange 69 Camaro, and on the other side of the Nova is my 57 Belair shell....

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Thank Guys,

Spent most of yesterday trying to get the front suspension mocked up on the car. here is how that went. I think the next step will be to build the rear-end, and get the frame connectors and rear four-link set up installed before I final fit all the sheetmetal, and take it apart for cleaning and painting.

#7 ·
Welcome!!

Nice projects you have! I like the model car thing on the wall!! You make that?
Thank you. Yes, I have made a few of those now. Keep thinking I should make some up and take them to swap meets. The one with the '69 dog-dish hubcaps on it is neat 'cause the caps just snap on and off. That way I don't ruin them, and I can change the caps around.

#10 ·
Steve,

You can usually find singles at swap meets, or on eBay and not give an arm and leg for them. The repops look great, but I know nothing of the fit on them. I am running steelies and NOS dog-dishes on my '69 Camaro.

#11 ·
The last Chevy II I restored was a '66 SS. Marina Blue, Blue interior, 283/PG with factory A/C and Rear antenna. I think it was last spotted in the Chicago area.

The last Nova I owned was a Rallye-Green, '69 SS, 350/3speed M.T. that has moved to the Dover Delaware area?

Anyone on the forum here have a clue where they could be today?

#13 ·
That's Okay Dave. Everybody refers to it as a '55. I was beginning to think that was what I owned....

#14 ·
Well,

I hit the lil' Chevy II a bit more this week. I now have the dash gutted, and some of the paint off the body. I am waiting for a rearend and wheels and tires so that the rear suspension can be fit up and all the sheetmetal can be aligned prior to final disassembly for metal work and paint.

Also fit the core support to the front frame rails. It is gonna need some massaging.

#18 ·
Well,

Progress is slow, but it is coming along. Still stripping paint on the lil '66. Getting close to fitting engine and transmission before I take it back apart and Blast, Paint, and plate for final assembly.
Looks like we are going to be doing a bit of metal work before it goes to the paint shop.

Anybody have any suggestions on Wheel/Tire combination, size? Keep in mind the front suspension is all Heidts, Superride II, the rear will be Heidts Four-Link.

#19 ·
By the way.... The grinding marks were added by a previous "restorer". I broke out the D/A to see if I could clean it and smooth it just a bit. Sure makes a difference, visually.

#20 ·
Hey,

Been tinkering with the Nova some, but haven't documented any lately. Fitted the front fenders and they are going to line up nicely with the new front suspension. Also, did some more cleanup and started the rear tub installation. Here are a couple of shots....

The patterns that come with the DSE kit for the rear seat braces are designed to fit the 62-65 rear seat brackets. After looking at it a bit more, I decided I could just remove the braces and modify them later without the use of their template, so I cut the brace 9.5 inches below the top. Bad move. Didn't give me enough space to work the rest of the inner fender so I went back and cut another 4 inches of it off.

Did some removal all the way around the tub, and into the trunk.

Here I started cutting the trunk floor for the new tub. I will finish cutting it when I have it on the rotiserrie. I taped the DSE template to the floor, then used a can of Primer to dust a pattern to cut to. I am not going to be able to get to all of it on the ground with the wheels and tires on it. One of the rear seatbelt anchors will have to be relocated, and the rear brace "Foot" had to be cut off. I will plug weld it back to the reinstalled inner fender to stiffen it up.

If I did my math correctly, I think the outside of the sidewall of the tires cannot excede 66.75". I also don't think anything over 12.5" wide (Sidewall total) will fit in the mini-tubs comfortably.

I know all of this looks rather "Crude" right now, but I haven't begun to clean it up for final fit or welding...

I hope to have the other tub cut out tomorrow....

#21 ·
Well,

The other tub is cut-out and the body is completely stripped of all parts. I have it on the rotiserrie, and will be sandblasting tomorrow. Maybe this time next week I can start to do some fabrication on it as well. Need to work on the tubs and rear quarters next.

With a bit of luck, I will be posting photos of it sandblasted...

#23 ·
Okay guys. At a crossroads here. I either need to purchase (4) patch panels for the quarters, (2) for each, quarter skins, or full quarters. My gut feeling is just purchase the full quarters and be done with it. Anybody have any input?

Also, if I go full quarters and anyone needs me to cut patch panels from these before I take them off... Speak up now.

#24 ·
Well,

Edges of the doors are blasted as well as the front subframe. Half of the body is blasted but still have more to do. Maybe sunday.

Wheels and tires arrived the other day. Time to order the 9" "Aftermarket" rearend from Moser now.

Time to get the paint stripped off the doors, and get the metal work finished....

#25 ·
I don't know if any of you are interested in seeing this, or if I am just wasting band-width... and my time, but, Here are a few more.

#27 ·
Got the doors all nice and clean, ready for repairs. One is VERY Nice, the other will be nice with some work. Seems like one is from the original Nova, the other from a Chevy II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.