Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

69 nova spoiler

14K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Blown73 
#1 ·
anyone know if theres a rear spoiler I can get for my nova? I found a pretty cool front spoiler but I cant find anyone that makes a spoiler for the back.

#2 ·
That is because the Nova never came with a rear spoiler.

There have been people that have put Camaro spoilers on the back or one off of a Barracuda. One guy even made a Z/28 optioned Nova putting on a 1969 Nova everything that would have been installed on a 1969 Camaro Z/28 Camaro, including an original DZ coded block 302 with 4.11 rear gears required by the small motor with the big 30/30 solid lifter cam.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/nova/sucp_0709_1969_chevy_nova_z28/

Continuing on to look at what the rear end should have looked like had you bought a 1969 Nova SS you can see there was no rear spoiler offered.

http://image.hotrod.com/f/muscle_ca...04-1969-chevy-bill-thomas-nova-ss-427-02a.jpg

I don't know where you found your "Cool" front spoiler but the only thing comparable offered on a Nova was the air dam put on the front sub frame of 1974-'79 Novas to keep air from going under the car and force it up through the radiator because they were getting into the lean burn smog era motors; with unleaded gas just appearing on the market in some areas, in 1976 for the first time any where in the country.

The Nova didn't get chin spoilers or rear deck spoilers because it was supposed to be an economy car. That is why it has faux rear wheel fender skirts, a throw back to early sixties styling on the more expensive GM cars. It could have been worse we could have had a Continental Hump in the rear deck to accommodate one more bag of groceries or potted plant; because the market that the car was sold to was for young stay at home house wives to get their own car (so they could leave home to pick up junior at football practice and little sister at cheer leading practice or go to the garden club.

The Hatch Back was marketed directly to women so they wouldn't have to lean over to get to items in the trunk. Just look at all of the Chevrolet Nova ads for the hatch back model from the early seventies. It shows young women placing groceries or wooden rocking horses or high back spindle antique chairs in the back where they had been out shopping.

Big Dave

#5 ·
That is because the Nova never came with a rear spoiler.

There have been people that have put Camaro spoilers on the back or one off of a Barracuda. One guy even made a Z/28 optioned Nova putting on a 1969 Nova everything that would have been installed on a 1969 Camaro Z/28 Camaro, including an original DZ coded block 302 with 4.11 rear gears required by the small motor with the big 30/30 solid lifter cam.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/nova/sucp_0709_1969_chevy_nova_z28/

Continuing on to look at what the rear end should have looked like had you bought a 1969 Nova SS you can see there was no rear spoiler offered.

http://image.hotrod.com/f/muscle_ca...04-1969-chevy-bill-thomas-nova-ss-427-02a.jpg

I don't know where you found your "Cool" front spoiler but the only thing comparable offered on a Nova was the air dam put on the front sub frame of 1974-'79 Novas to keep air from going under the car and force it up through the radiator because they were getting into the lean burn smog era motors; with unleaded gas just appearing on the market in some areas, in 1976 for the first time any where in the country.

The Nova didn't get chin spoilers or rear deck spoilers because it was supposed to be an economy car. That is why it has faux rear wheel fender skirts, a throw back to early sixties styling on the more expensive GM cars. It could have been worse we could have had a Continental Hump in the rear deck to accommodate one more bag of groceries or potted plant; because the market that the car was sold to was for young stay at home house wives to get their own car (so they could leave home to pick up junior at football practice and little sister at cheer leading practice or go to the garden club.

The Hatch Back was marketed directly to women so they wouldn't have to lean over to get to items in the trunk. Just look at all of the Chevrolet Nova ads for the hatch back model from the early seventies. It shows young women placing groceries or wooden rocking horses or high back spindle antique chairs in the back where they had been out shopping.

Big Dave
yes I know these cars never came with a spoiler. thats why I'm asking if anyone MAKES one as in AFTERMARKET.

as for the front spoiler http://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/Pages/6874NovaProTouring.aspx thats 'cool' to me.

so how would I go about putting a spoiler from a 69 camaro on my nova?

#3 ·
I was going to do the Camaro spoiler thing on my car until I looked at few cars (Z-28 Nova being one) from the side with the spoiler in place. It flat out looks out of place and ruins the great lines that GM built into the 3rd Gen cars. From the back it looks very good but once you move around for the side view, well it sucks. The front spoiler does look good though. I will say I have seen a few 3rd Gens with a wing spoiler like the GTO Judge that looked good. JMO Jack

#4 ·
The winged spoiler that first came to my mind was on the back of the 'Cuda.

All of these spoilers were developed in TransAm racing as the cars needed some down force to improve traction (rear spoiler), and tended to fly if they didn't block air travelling under the car (the purpose of the front spoiler). The TransAm racers wanted to fly at a lower rotational speed than a stock Nova, because they had full belly pans to reduce air resistance. This increased the velocity of the air under the car which improved the lift that the car body provided as an air foil.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.