Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Early Nova Bodies & Parts

4K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Florheel 
#1 ·
Hello all, I would appreciate your help in putting a value on some bodies, parts and pieces that I accumulated years ago; located in central North Carolina.

I will get them out of the woods if there's a market for them. I'm including a link to my Picasa album with more photos.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

http://picasaweb.google.com/RakedCycles/OldVehicles#

See less See more
#3 ·
Certainly no offense taken. Some had been picked when the landed there years ago. The regional differences do play into the usability, no doubt about that.

Years ago I had assumed they'd sit there until I had time to scrap them. I put an old Hillman Husky on CL since the Autofair is so close by this week. I can't believe the response to that rusting hulk, so I thought I'd see if there's a fair market value on these and possibly list them.

Thanks,

Rick

G
#4 ·
seeing a car in the condition & terrain they're located doesn't tell much for actual condition. sitting in the ground so to speak plus being exposed to harsh weather can wreak havoc with sheet metal... floors, quarters, trunk etc. i see a car like those and i have to figure they're rust buckets. on the east coast you see guys all the time restoring a firewall. basically nothing left salvageable BUT the firewall... think of the expense to resurrect a car like that ! on the west coast we're not subjected to a lot of the weather the eastern states do so the cars are in much better shape.

figuring a 40+ year old car has seen some rough times it could cost 20K plus to resurrect a car... eastern cars would take much more figuring all the panel etc replacements.

get good images... describe truthfully and completely and post 'em on EBay and let the big dog eat. they'll either bring in bids... or not. there's no telling what people will bid on, you might make a lot of cash, or not.

i'd say the Hillman is a bit different as finding a good body might be a bit rougher to find than a ChevyII.

regardless... good luck to ya ;)

#5 ·
I operate by the rule to exceed expectations with the intentions to have a buyer happier purchasing from me than I am with the sale. I wouldn't offer them for sale without lots of very good pics and making it clear that I would provide the tow to level ground.

Your mentioning guys who "restore the firewall" brings up a question I've asked on several occasions when we see unrestored classics listed for sale. With the availability of components to rebuild a car, how much of the original has to have been intact in order to accurately describe the finished product as being "the" car?

If a person starts with the left side of the firewall, the original engine block and tranny housing, in theory they can rebuild a numbers matching car. I'm into jalopies and hot rods, but really appreciate a car that retains the bulk of its original components, whether it's restored or not.

My view is a little different since cars are not investments to me. I keep my dough within easy reach of the vultures wearing Armani in case they need another no-payment loan.

Thanks again,

Rick

#8 ·
I understand on a purely financial level, and appreciate you input. I think about some of the cars I sent to the crusher years ago, especially when I find a 138-Chevelle title and see some of today's resurrection projects. I wish I had several of them back.

I'm not motivated strictly by money, so I'd rather let them sit in case somebody wants some or all at a later date.

Thanks again,

Rick

G
#7 ·
Rick, from what i understand all that's required is an unmolested A pillar with VIN attached (as far as the "Firewall" statement is concerned)

not ragging on anyone but some of the cars i've seen restored it'd have made a LOT more sense to me to just start out with a better car... but some people have more money than common-sense but i'm no one to comment... we do what we do because WE want to.

also i wasn't trying to say you wouldn't be forthright in any sales description, just made comment for the conversation/subject matter ;)

back to the "Firewall" some cars i've seen were very rare cars, so to take them from an A pillar and resurrect the car, that i can see... but when a car is a run of the mill, can find one anywhere with research... well that's where the "more money than common-sense" comment comes in.

Johnny in SoCal/high desert
blustery and kinda chilly :D

#9 ·
That is the clearest explanation I've seen.

I don't understand well done cars dismissed because they lack the proper documentation or the owner admits to cloning a plain vanilla car into a desirable car. Others are worshiped because they started out with the "correct" A-pillar that was properly resurrected.

Of course, I'm not talking about deceiving potential buyers. That's a different matter entirely.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.