Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

sport coupe 67

4K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  JAYARTER 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have just started to put my 67 Chevy II back together. This car lived on the track all it's life except for being on the road the first year. Had 19,000 original miles when I purchased it.I have owned this car for 12 years now. However.... I need to restore all the interior, remove the 350 motor and turbo 350 auto... replace the 4 speed and all the linkage. I have found a muncie and all the linkage with bell housing.. I found out quickly, that all that stuff is special.
Now I need a block. I do have a bell crank adapter brkt. Would love to find a 283 or 327 block with the recessed oil pan.. My biggest problem is that I do not know what this stuff is supposed to look like!!! because I have nothing to go by. I am picking up bits and pieces of info along the way... I have tons of parts to trade or sell.. I have never even seen a 4 speed before. I do not really know how to put the linkage under the car together.. I am having an issue with the cluch lever or arm that goes in the bell housing onto the throw out bearing.. it seems a little sloppy when you hook it onto the ball in the bell housing... is this the way it is supposed to be?

#3 ·
Wow! Thanks, it's great to finally see the actual block.
I am having a blast doing this. This is a rare opportunity for me to be doing this Nova project. We are trying to do a "what we need and nothing we don't thing", with maybe a tiny bit extra here or there. I would really apreciate any tips or tricks on these special cars. I looked at some American Racing Turbothrust rims with Grey spokes, I was wondering how they would look with an all black car? I wonder what is the widest rim for the 67 Nova?

G
#4 ·
if the project isn't to be patterned off a "Factory" build then you really don't need a ChevyII block (only available in 283/327cid's anyways) you could use any engine you please... let your pocketbook and common-sense be your guide ;)

is this a running car right now that you're working on or the questions your asking... are they for the build research ?

Johnny (tryin' ta help) with the research

G
#5 ·
clutch issues i read...

here's a ChevyII bellhousing, unless a scattershield is to be used... note fork placement is approximately in the 7-O'clock position. there are two housings that look like this, one is for a V8 and is pictured, the other is for the 6 cylinder and appears correct but the big hole diameter isn't the same as the V8 unit.

here's the correct V8 housing. (pic stolen from old e bay ad)

this bellhousing utilizes a 153 tooth flywheel, 10.4" diameter clutch

one of the best things to start with would be as many manuals that are offered for the car... possibly an "Assembly" and "Body" manual ?

you can get both here: http://www.gregsonline.com/eshop/Html/Products/nova-books.htm

JR (check the JollyRodder site too) hopefully helping ? :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Thanks so much for your help!! This is a running car. It has a 350 with a turbo 350 trans. The car is probably 10 per cent hacked. I need to cut out the roll bar. fix the 4 speed hump and minor stuff like that. I have a bell housing #3849309 i need a harness under the hood, all the interior is gone. I do have new stuff for the interior in boxes from Classic Industries.. My main problem at the moment, is getting a good motor and the 4 speed back in the car correctly.. I do have a 1968 327 from a chevelle with a power glide. I should be able to bolt a flywheel to this motor.? with out re-balancing.??
where could I find a 327 correct block?? I might go down that road if I actually found one. This car has only 20,000 or so original miles. It might be worth it. I have so much to ask and talk about, I must be totaly boring at this point. what about that clutch arm? is supposed to be sloppy on the bell housing ball?
john

G
#7 ·
the fork when on the bellhousing and nothing is installed... just sitting in your shop will be so loose you might find it's slipped off...

once the clutch assy, tranny etc is snstalled it won't be loose ;)

the 327 should be OK without a rebalance... you can take in the flywheel your going to use along with the pressure plate and get them zero'd out...

also, you're not boring ask away ;) take time to absorb what you're researching though and don't get too too lengthy with questions... one/two at a time and i'm sure everything will be OK. if ya make me read too much without pictures i generally blow a breaker so please, be easy on my old circutry ;)

hehehe ;)

glad ta help :thumbsup:

#8 ·
cool!! thanks... I am happy the hear about the fork on the bell housing being sloppy... Now things are making sence. THAT'S WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!
Zero out the flywheel and the pressure plate.... mmmmmm interesting. Never heard that... Okay I will try that! Thanks. I am learning more and more. You certainly are a wealth of info. Is your name John? not sure,I do not really know how to run this forum or any other for that matter....
Let me know if I forget to say thank you or any other stupid thing on here.

#9 ·
A correct 327 for one of those cars is tough to find and quite costly. If you don't have to have original, rather use the 68 327 you have. I did that years ago in the 66 SS I did up from a 283 powerglide car.

You will need the special oil pan, oil pump, oil pump drive shaft, dipstick and dipstick tube. I see it on ebay all the time.

#11 ·
Well I didn't know you had 2 threads going....use the 350 you already have and have it redone...I think if you find a 327 crank you can install in that 350 block. most everything you need is bolted to that motor
take alot of pictures before you take it apart. close ups of brackets,
wiring, front end parts, We always take 20/30 pictures of our project and get them developed so we can use them as we go back togather... No matter if its a week or 2 months later there are always things you'll need to see. and put all your bolts/screwws/fastners togather so they are all in one place. Just a couple ideas that help us with our projects. and try to get some one to help you...There are 3 of us who get togather once a week (tuesday nite) and help each other with one of our projects. Keeps you inspired to have the help and you learn alot. I've been at this forever and I learn something every build and do things I've never done.
TEAM NOVA, CHEVELLE, AND CAMARO HAS THE BEST OF THE BEST WHEN IT COMES TO KNOW HOW AND IDEAS TO HELP YOU!!!!!! :yes:
Sorry I got long winded! Good Luck Jay

G
#15 ·
no. it means nothing. a 327 and a 350 are the same block so what difference would it make for you to swap the crank from block to block ? the blocks are the same exact blocks it's the cranks that are different...

what's wrong with the '68 Chevelle 327 engine that you'd want to steal the crank out of it ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.