Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72 Nova

18K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Gatecrasher 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

The Keisler Team has joined as a Sponsor, and we would like to help you with any tech questions about swapping in Tremec TKO T56 T45 RS transmissions into Novas.

We have a lot of experience in this, and can help with both commonly asked questions as well as the highly technical questions.

Please feel free to post q's here, and one of our staff members or I will answer them.

Have a Happy 2009!

Shafi Keisler, Pres & Founder

#2 ·
ok so i posted a reply to " jeff " about powershiftin the tko 600 he said you guys would do an internal modification for race use im wondering if i can still drive it on the sreet would the internal mod be something like liberty trans does to muncie borg warner etc.... trans gears can i still use a mechanical clutch set up or would it be better to go hydrolic i was thinkging of building a street strip car so i could compete in the " hot rod drag week " so i would still need to be able to drive it down the freeway and around town just incase i do more " hot rod " stuff

#3 ·
Post Your Tremec Swap Questions for 1962 - 72 Nova
I am going to call my car Rodney as it gets "no respect" :D
Shafi welcome to the site and thanks for being a sponsor, but don't leave out the 75 - 79 Novas, the TKO fits good in them too ;)

The stock crossmember will work if moved back and new holes drilled in the frame rails. Once I get it done I'll put together a "how to" for the 4th gens.

#6 ·
I am going to call my car Rodney as it gets "no respect" :D
Shafi welcome to the site and thanks for being a sponsor, but don't leave out the 75 - 79 Novas, the TKO fits good in them too ;)The stock crossmember will work if moved back and new holes drilled in the frame rails. Once I get it done I'll put together a "how to" for the 4th gens.
Hi Phillip,
Thanks for the warm welcome. That is great info and we have sold a number of these over the years to the gen 3 and 4 X-body cars. Please let me know when you have your write-up done.
Shafi

#4 ·
hey shafi!!
thanks for the heads up on the tremec's.i've got a viper T56 going into a 63 nova wagon behind a chevy smallblock.i've purchased the clutch,bellhousing,flywheel,and hydraulic t/o bearing to adapt the two,but i'm not at that stage yet.when the project is at that stage,i'll DEFINATELY be asking some questions:yes:
thanks!!
leftcoast carl.

#7 ·
hey shafi!!
thanks for the heads up on the tremec's.i've got a viper T56 going into a 63 nova wagon behind a chevy smallblock.i've purchased the clutch,bellhousing,flywheel,and hydraulic t/o bearing to adapt the two,but i'm not at that stage yet.when the project is at that stage,i'll DEFINATELY be asking some questions:yes:
thanks!!
leftcoast carl.
Hi Carl,

Send me some pics of what you have, and I can help you with getting the shifter/console setup to work best as possible. You might want to take our ChevyII crossmember, and modify it for the install.

#8 ·
If it's any help........here's my install in my '70 Nova from a couple
of years back.
We did our own sheet metal work.
Best money I spent.......next to the 427.

I remember back when you guys started to come out with the
kits.......I sent in an inquiry.
I received a phone call sometime later ......and it was Shafi!
Was sort of cool the owner of the company actually took time to call.

#9 ·
If it's any help........here's my install in my '70 Nova from a couple
of years back.
We did our own sheet metal work.
Best money I spent.......next to the 427.

I remember back when you guys started to come out with the
kits.......I sent in an inquiry.
I received a phone call sometime later ......and it was Shafi!
Was sort of cool the owner of the company actually took time to call.

:thumbsup::beers: Excellent work, Monk !! Please email me your pics and a pic of your car and testimonial, and I'll get it up on the site, and send you a t-shirt, cap, and some other cool stuff. Let me know what size you wear!

Very nice, indeed.:)

#10 ·
ok keisler gurus what trans yoke fits the tko 500/600 i want to use 1350 series ujoints and what cluch slpine do i use im a little confused for im an automatic man ........ speaking of automatics i hear you guys do them as well im looking for an overdrive type that can handle 1000hp i do not want computer controlled converter lockup stuff i want to be able to put a 3800 to 4200 10'' stall converter in it i would like it to shift automatiaclly but still be able to manually shift it as well i would like it to snap my neck to when i sellect gears also when its in drive mode too i dont need kickdown either just wonder what you would charge or if you even do automatics

#11 ·
ok keisler gurus what trans yoke fits the tko 500/600 i want to use 1350 series ujoints and what cluch slpine do i use im a little confused for im an automatic man ........ speaking of automatics i hear you guys do them as well im looking for an overdrive type that can handle 1000hp i do not want computer controlled converter lockup stuff i want to be able to put a 3800 to 4200 10'' stall converter in it i would like it to shift automatiaclly but still be able to manually shift it as well i would like it to snap my neck to when i sellect gears also when its in drive mode too i dont need kickdown either just wonder what you would charge or if you even do automatics
Sounds to me you that you want a built to the house TH400 (lots of expensive billet pieces to replace the stock cast iron drums) with a Gear Vendors Over/Under auxiliary transmission stuck on the back end of the TurboHydramatic. That is the only combination of parts that I know will deliver what you want (but then I don't know it all, and I am willing to listen to any other ideas).

Big Dave

#14 ·
When is someone going to design a multi bolt explosion proof bell housing that fits Chevy, Buick, Olds, and Pontiac engines? I want to go with the 5 speed eventually, but I don't want to have to get two bell housings as my car will probably start its street life with a crate 350 while I beat the snot out of it I will be building my 501 cid Pontiac engine. Also when will the 6 speed get a redesigned mount that will mount on Pontiac engines without the use of adapters?

G
#18 ·
here's the Lakewood unit i used: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=LAK-15050&N=700+115&autoview=sku

it needed a slight amount of clearancing for the headers...

i'd recommend trying to go hydraulic if possible with an aftermarket clip. Heidt's centers the engine (1") and that's going to make the z bar too long and will need to be sectioned/shortened. also to clear the inner fender because of the z bar lever a 4" x 4" hole is needed in the inner fender for z bar lever to swing.

here's a Lakewood housing for the T5 tranny that David H used on his '67 with a hydraulic set up that worked great with his Heidt's clip: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700+400272+310488+4294908216+115&autoview=sku

hope i helped ;)

JR

#24 ·
Hello, I have a 63 nova with a 383, about 500HP, has 350 auto with shift kit, 373 gears, It gets the job done, I miss shifting, I want to switch to a 5 speed or 6 speed, I know the 6 speed will cost more, but what are the pros and cons verses 5sp or 6sp, thanks
With a LOT of fab work, you can make the T56 work. The 6-speed has 2 overdrives to keep you in the powerband at highway speeds of 55mph and up. The shift quality of the T56 is better than the good quality of the TKO.

Our PerfectFit 5-speed is the only Tremec kit that puts the shifter EXACTLY in the factory location. You can run a console or not, use the factory carpet, boot, ring, etc.

We will have a '67 Chevy II coming to the shop next week for a TKO PerfectFit kit and hydraulic clutch kit.

You guys interested in some pics and video??

G
#33 ·
Hey Pete, the TKO installation is pretty much the same as for a Muncie except there will be floor modifications needed so the trans will clear the tunnel. what year car do you have ?

i have a TKO in my '64, i have friends who have a TKO in a '67 and a '75 and all are the same, floor mods to the tunnel.

it's not really a big thing so don't let that end of the upgrade bother you too-too much ;) it's a Great upgrade to go with :thumbsup:

welcome to Team Nova too ;)

JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.