Mom's grocery getter 406 - Page 4 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Performance High Performance!

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Nov 8th, 19, 11:59 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Mom's grocery getter 406

I haven't heard of any problems with a Blue print block. There are three levels of strength with a Dart block. I use Big M's or Sportsman blocks for most builds as I won't be pushing it as hard as I would in a blown alcohol engine. So 750 horse is fine for any four bolt BBC (even a stock 454 block as far as strength goes).

I like big bore blocks so a 540 or a 555 is a perfect street engine. To me a stroked big block is a 632 (4.75 inch stroke, but even that engine will rev as high as a hydraulic roller can take it. You just couldn't keep tires on the car!)

Chris will build your rear clip with any axle you want. You just tell him where you want the spring perches for a leaf sprung car, or the mounting points for a four link and he will weld it up.

I order the Moser Dana 60 with four link brackets hanging loose as I don't don't know how far apart to weld them until I get the tires I want under the car and the rear frame rails welded in place. The axle tubes on the Moser rear are so thick that almost any one can weld on them without warping the tubes.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 9th, 19, 10:59 AM
Tech Team

ramportin1 has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I haven't heard of any problems with a Blue print block. There are three levels of strength with a Dart block. I use Big M's or Sportsman blocks for most builds as I won't be pushing it as hard as I would in a blown alcohol engine. So 750 horse is fine for any four bolt BBC (even a stock 454 block as far as strength goes).

I like big bore blocks so a 540 or a 555 is a perfect street engine. To me a stroked big block is a 632 (4.75 inch stroke, but even that engine will rev as high as a hydraulic roller can take it. You just couldn't keep tires on the car!)

Chris will build your rear clip with any axle you want. You just tell him where you want the spring perches for a leaf sprung car, or the mounting points for a four link and he will weld it up.

I order the Moser Dana 60 with four link brackets hanging loose as I don't don't know how far apart to weld them until I get the tires I want under the car and the rear frame rails welded in place. The axle tubes on the Moser rear are so thick that almost any one can weld on them without warping the tubes.

Big Dave
Thanks! This is all really helpful to me and reassuring. So do you know if that M60 can be ordered narrowed to any length? With my mini tubs and all that work i want to ensure I maximize my results by narrowing the housing to the best size for best tire size and fitment. Now with a M60 I'll have to redecide on the CA sportsman ladder bar/coil over set up or the Detroit speed quadralink setup. I planned in the ladder bar because of it being less complex of a install and tuning, but I do have some people I could get help from who have done 4 links before, and buy the Jerry bickel 4 link wizard.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old Nov 9th, 19, 11:01 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aukai View Post
The 406 is a collaboration between Mike Lewis racing engines, and Mark Jones (Vortecpro)
I was able to buy a Nice 67 Nova roller, and needed a motor quick, so my wife would not throw a hissy fit if I get the car running as soon as possible. Mike Lewis built my 572 for the Chevelle, but when I got in touch with him he stated his lead time was way out. My next choice was Mark Jones, who has a super reputation also. I was able to work out a deal with both of them, Mike for parts, and Mark for his expertise in assembling, and his attention to details. We made a game plan, and Mike did the parts selection, and ordered all of the parts, with Mark asking for certain vendors for pistons rings, etc. For a street car this effort has turned out VERY well, considering I can only use a Victor Jr. for hood clearance. Mark took care of porting, and getting the most out of it, and it sings. Mark Witener (JMarkaudio) did the billet 1000HP carb. Video at the bottom.
This is the parts list if anyone is interested. Mark answered all of my questions, kept me updated when ever I called, super to deal with. Mike, and Mark excellent job, and results. I am extremely happy, the hair was even standing up on my arms. This is on 91 octane.

DART SHP 31161211 350 / 4.125

1067 AFR 23 SBC Cylinder Head 227cc Race Ready Heads, standard exhaust, 75cc

MAHLE 930200755

406 4.155 442 12.6 11.7 10.9 SBC125155F05

COMPSTAR CRANK SAJ-113-CS

MOLNAR STROKER RODS

BEARINGS

MOROSO 21017

MOROSO 24170-

MELLING 10553

BULLET STEP NOSE BILLET CAST GEAR CAM

R285/415B 285 255 177 .4150 .009 CRA 1.6/1.6

R289/390B 289 259 178 .3900 .012 CRA

108-109+4-5

ISKY 372RHEZMax

CROWER SHAFT ROCKERS 74141F

ROLLMASTER TIMING SET LATE CS1090

CAM THRUST PLATE & BOLT SET

CAM BEARINGS

ATI 917781 W/BILLET ADJUSTABLE POINTER

ALUMINUM FT CVR & BOLTS

VLV CVRS & BOLTS

GASKETS

PAN, SEALS, HEAD, INTAKE, VLV CVRS, FT CVR, WATER & FUEL

HEAD BOLT, PAN STUDS, FUEL PUMP BLOCKOFF PLATE, STAINLESS CORE PLUGS

https://youtu.be/odst_HpVYHg
Second time listening to this haha sounds awesome

Old Nov 9th, 19, 03:26 PM
Tech Team

Aukai has a positive reputation

Kinda hard to hear though. Blueprint does not torque plate hone as part of their normal procedure. you would need to check on that information though, I feel it is an important step. My 572 is a Dart Big M short deck 4.375 stroke, pump gas, and is for the 70 Chevelle. We tried 4 intakes, and 3 cams. It now has a sheet metal manifold and 2, 2000 cfm throttle bodies. This video is only one of the combinations.

https://youtu.be/TTN8nCaUw44
Old Nov 9th, 19, 03:39 PM
Tech Team

Very cool, that must be a fun chevelle!

Old Nov 9th, 19, 03:42 PM
Tech Team

I'm hoping, but it's in paint shop prison right now, hasn't been driven yet.
Old Nov 9th, 19, 08:45 PM
Tech Team

O dang! The anticipation would be killing me

Old Nov 10th, 19, 01:30 AM
Tech Team

It's been an 8 year build....so far.

Old Nov 25th, 19, 01:36 AM
Tech Team

I changed out some black, for polished AN fittings to break up some of the black theme.

Old Nov 25th, 19, 11:58 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Lookin good..
Old Nov 25th, 19, 02:25 PM
Tech Team

I do like the polished fitting swap, it breaks up the black nicely