1970 Nova SS L78 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Tag Team De-coding cowl tags & VINs

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Oct 28th, 06, 12:42 AM

tylerbear has a positive reputation
Red face 1970 Nova SS L78

Hello Nova guys. I have found a 70 Nova L78?? that I am having issues with its originality. I have a 69 Camaro guy that informed me that no partial VIN was on the pad after 1969. The Nova I am inquiring about has the partial and engine code on the pad. The build date is 10-69. Is it possible that the VIN could be stamped on the pad? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 06, 11:19 AM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation
Default Re: 1970 Nova SS L78

Welcome to Team Nova :

Yes it should be stamped on the pad and also above the oil filter on some BB motors. I have also seen the letter stampings on BB that ID the block on the front of the engine directly above the timing cover. VIN stamping started around mid 60's.
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old Oct 28th, 06, 01:50 PM

Z11Weaver has a positive reputation

Was this at all assembly plants? Why I ask this is because I'm reading an article that was posted in Super Chevy back in 93 that states all VINS were stamped down on the oil filter after some time in early to mid part of Jan of 69. This was due to the difficulty of removing the altenator in order to stamp the VIN up on the pad. It was found that it was much easier to stamp these down on the oil filter pad. However after this new implementation was inacted, it wasn't uncommen for the guy stamping the VINS to be rushed and often forget to stamp the VIN down low.

Old Oct 29th, 06, 11:25 AM

lrisner has a positive reputation

As to stamping at the filter rather than the pad.

That is true about Camaros after about Jan 69. I can't speak for novas. Different plants meant different local management. The alternater removal prove too time costly and they started stamping the vin near the oil filter.

I see no reason it would be stamped at both locations.
Old Oct 29th, 06, 11:43 AM
Tech Team

70ssBB has a positive reputation

check out,,,,,,,, www.chevynova.org and associated links. good detailed photographs of determing big block authenticity. Im not sure how far a restorer would go to fool a buyer but anything is possible. Seems to me the clincher would be two find at least two original associated parts on the car that have not been replaced that point to a BB.

I have an undocumented 70ss big block with some mongrel parts. The price was adjusted for that. Im sure its stressful to pay for an original then start to have doubts. I would visit the seller for something of value to make up for the price if thats the case.
Old Nov 14th, 06, 02:19 PM

wrencheadblues has a positive reputation

I also have found a 1970 ss that has a replacement motor ( pad stamped 65 impala motor) , I removed the valve covers hoping to find 70 dated big blk heads , but no they were 65 dates also. it has the heater hose nipples out by the fenders , a 12 bolt , and all ss badges , but it could have been a SS350 car that got a big blk dumped in the bay, have looked for bigger frt coil springs and the radiator larger opening for more air but don't know those diminsons? AND IT HAS a 3/8"s fuel line, WERE ARE BUILD SHEETS LOCATED on these novas ? ANY OTHER CLUES ? THANKS IN ADVANCE also heard something about lines in firewall by heater box ? MARKO a chevelle owner 66 SS 396 ragtop ,
Old Nov 16th, 06, 02:09 AM

wrencheadblues has a positive reputation

I have pixs of my 1969 #512 block L 78 SQUARE PORTS Block had the vin by the OIL FILTER - no pad vin # BUT pad had JA suffix 1969 chevelle 375 hp 4 spd , HAD good pixs done because when motor was re-installed its nearly impossible to see due too bell crank . vin read 19K372281 on rear and they stamped it TWICE ? , we never did find a build sheet , but the race history told alot , I restored it , alot of speed parts too remove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement