Seems to run out of fuel - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old May 24th, 20, 06:36 PM

Tobes72 has a positive reputation
Default Seems to run out of fuel

I have a 72 Nova with a SBC 350 when I first start it up to drive it after sitting a few days it runs like a champ. After about 20-25 minutes of driving it starts to cut out and sometimes will completely die. I opened the hood and everything looks fine checked vacuum line, and fuel lines then noticed there are a few bubbles in my clear inline fuel filter. After sitting for about a minute it fires up and runs fine for about another 2-3 minutes then does it again. Wondering if the fuel filter is supposed to be full or atleast half full while the car is at normal operating conditions? When I park it and let it sit for an hour or better filter is about 2/3 full car fires up and runs fine for another 20-25 minutes and repeats the cycle looking for advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 20, 06:45 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Seems to run out of fuel

Could be a wasp nest clogging your gas tank vent, or the wrong fill cap installed.

One possibility of hundreds.

Big Dave
Old May 24th, 20, 07:56 PM

Tobes72 has a positive reputation

Thanks for the reply, I did loosen the fuel cap and the problem persisted, is there any way to know for sure if I am having vapor lock issues or a weak (mechanical) fuel pump?

Old May 24th, 20, 10:06 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Fuel pump doesn't get week it fails. It is basically a rubber diaphragm the moves upo and down following an elliptic on the front of the cam. If the cam is turning the arm is pushing the diaphragm up and down. Only thing to go wrong is a hole in the rubber letting gas out (comes out a small weep hole on top of the bellows compartment). or blocked fuel lines (usually the filter).

You can look at the pump when running to see if it is leaking. If it isn't then you have an obstruction in the line. There is a course strainer in the tank and a fine strainer in the carburetor inlet. If your tank is full of rust then the sock will clog up and prevent flow. It doesn't take as much to block the fine (100 micron) filter at the inlet.

Might add paper filters don't work well with gasohol because the alcohol attracts water. water turns paper to mush that clogs everything up rather than flowing fuel.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2009364564?ii...CABEgJ-0PD_BwE

https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...iABEgL5FPD_BwE

Pictures of the filter on a QuadaJet. Holley requires an in-line filter as it doesn't have that filter at the inlet. Neither does the Carter AFB that today is called an Edelbrock carb similar to this one:

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/070FL33617

Big Dave.
Old May 24th, 20, 11:17 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

If the vent is good check filter, check for collapsed hoses in front and rear, could be a plugged up sock on the pickup in the tank also.
Old May 28th, 20, 08:42 PM

Dave Ray has a positive reputation

A possibility. REMOVE the coil from the car, and find a good auto parts store that has an off vehicle electrical tester. That tester can run the coil all by itself, off the engine.

Let the coil run on the machine, let it get to operating temp and see if it has problems. Most coil problems are NOT seen with a resistance test, they are done with the coil too cold.

Then, go for a fuel issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement