Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

'70 L78 motor

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lafnrat 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have a '70 L78 motor that still has the numbers stamped on it and was wondering if there is any way to try and locate the original car by the numbers stamped on the front pad because i would love to reunite this engine with it's original engine bay. Now there is a W in the stamping so that tells me it's from a Nova and the last six digits of the vin stamped in it are 257116 and it's a Sept. built block. Is there a registry on these cars that might be able to match up the numbers from the block. Just curious before i put this piece up for sale, thanks Mike.

#2 ·
The 257116 would be the last 6 digit's of the car's vin it came out of but I don't know if it's possible to "track" down that specific car now that the DMV doesn't really give out info anymore on who currently owns the car.

How long has the engine been out of the car? Why was it removed?

#3 ·
Sorry for the long pause i've been very busy.Yeah i know those are the last six digits of the VIN but can't we improvise. We know it should start out with 11427 right? And we know it should have a W for the assembly plant right? And we know it will have the last six digits of 257116 so what is left to fill in the blanks? Also the rest of the numbers on the front pad are as follows: T0923CKO 10W257116 The casting date is I 12 9. If anything it seems if you could put the VIN together with what we know you could maybe do a carfax report or does it not go back that old? At this point i'm just curious if it could be done to track down a car off this info. Nothin' like chasing a wild goose.:clonk: Thanks for all your help. Also i'm not sure why or how long this motor has been seperated from it's original engine bay all i know it spent the last part of it's life in a '55 chevy before it spun a bearing in Northern Indiana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.