Measuring for suspension on a 67 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old May 29th, 19, 03:30 AM
Tech Team

Aukai has a positive reputation
Default Measuring for suspension on a 67

OK, I bought a 67 roller, sub frame connectors, with a narrowed 9". For the life of me I do not know where to start measuring for accuracy. The springs were moved in, slider rear spring mounts, the frame is notched, and 275/60x15 MT radials. The notch is not enough, and I want to add direct fit frame rails for more room in the back. Everything seems to measured from the pinch weld, and some things are not adding up, to me anyway. Do I need to string the car, and work up from the ground? The front clip, frame connectors, are on one plane, the frame connectors, and the springs do not follow that same plane. I am just trying things with a tape measure, 4', and 6'(as straight edges) levels trying to see what I have to work with as far as being straight/in alignment.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 19, 09:29 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Measuring for suspension on a 67

Is this car going to live on a trailer? I ask because you state there isn't enough travel on the leaf spring sliders. Sliders were used on early race cars equipped with ladder bars but have since been replaced with a Cal-Trac or Slide-a-Link as they take up less room under the car and offer better manners on the street. Ladder bars do NOT work on the street as it will bind up in uneven turns (very limited articulation).

If this is a street car I would loose the ladder bars and slider and go back to solid mount axle to leaf springs and use home made traction bars that resemble Lakewood' Traction action s bars designed by Grumpy Jenkins.

Or replace the springs with a back half kit that uses coil over shocks and a four link.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/popup....852-u01_3_.jpg

http://www.cachassisworks.com/popup..../780213_4_.jpg

Big Dave
Old May 29th, 19, 01:52 PM
Tech Team

The frame notch to wheel clearance is the problem. The car came with Smith Racecraft Assassin bars. The car will be street driven with an occasional track outing. The sliders have a good mount of travel at ride height. I was/am under the impression I should mount the direct fit frame rails square, but maybe I should just put them in following the original frame.

Old May 29th, 19, 04:37 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Couple of issues there.

Your frame is 5/32 thick cold rolled steel pressed into an open rectangular shape then spot welded to some 14 gage flat sheet metal. Not quite what I would pick to build a frame out of but it was good enough for the car's original intended use as a 120 horse power (three times as much raw tire shredding power as a similar weight VW bug).

Whether it will hold an LS engine without popping every spot weld or balling the body up in a ball (what happened to my '67 with a 600 horse 427 ) I don't know: but Grumpy built a full tube frame for his Vega body that had a a bigger four banger in it than the Chevy II when he installed a 327 SBC under the hood.

Things I din't like about my Chevy II. The drivers side tire wheel, spring and shock tower sheet metal came right off the car on a hard launch (going up wasn't so bad but the landing was a little rough). The car had a noticeable pressure crease through the roof and passenger side C column after that. Took me carving half the fenders off to mount a decent size (31.0" x 14.0"‐16) drag slick tire. Of course carving the shock towers up to gain room to install a BBC probably didn't help either, but I had just bought my formerly brand new acetylene torch and put it work on this car.

Big Dave
Old May 30th, 19, 01:43 AM
Tech Team

I've been cleaning up the frame to fit the new one, it's starting to snug up ok. I'm going to add a custom bent 6 point bar too for more stiffness.
Old Jun 3rd, 19, 04:36 AM
Tech Team

Well getting the new frame rails in is a little time consuming, but at least one is mounted for final placement, and welding prep. Next will be to knock out the old frame section that will not be used. Looks like at least a solid 1 1/2"maybe up to 2" more inner tire clearance, I did not get a chance to measure it that well yet, there are some tapers involved. I also ordered a 15 gallon SS tank from Rick's tanks that is narrowed, and lengthened, with a sump. Just a bit on the pricey side, but what are you gonna do to get past the inspectors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement