Bellhousing - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old May 25th, 19, 05:05 AM
Tech Team

Aukai has a positive reputation
Default Bellhousing

Church Boy's headers, manual transmission, SHP SBC block. Is the mechanical linkage possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 19, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

big gear head has a positive reputation
Default Re: Bellhousing

What car are you working on?
Old May 25th, 19, 01:42 PM
Tech Team

Hi Freddy, that was dumb lol, 67 Nova. Looking at a Lakewood, or a Browell with adjustment window.

Old May 26th, 19, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I'm not real familiar with those cars. My dad is building a '65 Nova with a 327 and a 4 speed, but using an original bell housing and iron manifolds, so not the same situation. I would contact Church Boys and ask if the headers were designed to clear the original linkage. I can't remember if the pivot ball goes in the block or the bell housing. I think we had to get a bolt on pivot ball bracket for dad's car because the block didn't have a boss in the correct location.
Old May 26th, 19, 02:11 PM
Tech Team

Thanks Freddie, are you still on TC a lot, I stay in the performance area the most there. I did a search, and found some info on a mounting bracket, and short oil filter. I'm just wishing I could get everything here, and assemble, not have to mock everything up, and order parts that take weeks to get.
Old May 26th, 19, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Are you out of the US?
Yes, I'm still on Team Camaro, Team Chevelle, NastyZ28, HotRodders, SuperCarRegistry and a few others every day.
Old May 26th, 19, 06:48 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

The 1962-'67 Chevy II was designed to be the economy car that the Corvair failed at so miserably (since people liked the Corvair so much; and thought of it as a poor man's sports car). The Chevy II was designed (winning three engineering awards for making a cheap car even cheaper) with a 153 cube four cylinder as a power plant to compete with a Toyota and the VW bug which had become a cheap alternative to a Chevy, Ford, or Mopar.

Silly hot rodders started putting a SBC in it because it weighed the same as a VW Bug and had a three speed manual standard. But since it was so small a car the factory engineers had to modify Chevy parts to get them to work. Such as a front sump oil pan to clear the tie rod, and rotating the window for the clutch fork thirty degrees down to clear the oil filter which was raised two inches into the block to have room to clear the clutch linkage. In 1965 Chevy cast a unique block just to fit the Chevy II. had a pivot ball relocated up near the oil pressure outlet, and also had a raised oil filter pad buried deep in the block.

I mentioned the special one of a kind front sump oil pan and it had it's own special oil pump and pick up (how unlike Chevy to do that)

But Chevy was banking on people giving up on any other car other than their little Chevy II (forgetting that Ford had a V8 in their Falcon economy car two years earlier, that morphed into the Mustang). Personally it would have been easier to put a V8 in a Fiat 500 Topolino and just build a tube frame around it.

https://www.sunsetclassics.com/1936-fiat-topolino/

But you know hot rodders were there is a check book there is someone selling specialty parts.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; May 26th, 19 at 07:03 PM.
Old May 27th, 19, 02:37 AM
Tech Team

Thank you Dave, I resisted the front clip change for a BBC, but the SBC is still not a drop in with a manual transmission, it will get figured out. Freddie I live in Hawaii, it's USA but a pain in the butt for parts.
Old May 27th, 19, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I'm pretty sure that this is the bracket that we used for my dad's '65. https://gmclassics.com/part/v8-z-bar...ova-v8-blocks/
This one has the ball and bolts with it. https://gmclassics.com/part/clutch-b...for-kit-parts/
Old May 27th, 19, 02:07 PM
Tech Team

Looks good thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement