Pinion offset advice - Page 2 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Nov 22nd, 19, 05:57 PM
Tech Team

ramportin1 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Pinion offset advice

It states if you're looking down from above, and your drive shaft is crooked (mine would be right?) Then your putting added stress on components. So this is where I really started getting confused

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 19, 06:03 PM
Tech Team

But if I understand you guys correctly then I should not be worrying about changing my pinion offset it will be just fine where it is for a BBC, right?
With using correct mounts and trans crossmember of course

Old Nov 24th, 19, 05:51 PM
Tom

tjs69 has a positive reputation
Smile Re: Pinion offset advice

That is correct, your driveshaft will be straight in the horizontal plane. (My understanding) When it is all bolted in you will then have to set your pinion angle in the vertical plane with angle shims. In vertical plane, it is said to be bad to have the driveshaft straight in line. To my understanding it is best to have a 2* down on one end (usually transmission output) and 2* up on the other. (usually axle pinion) There should be others that will chime in with more or better info !

Last edited by tjs69; Nov 24th, 19 at 06:57 PM.

Old Nov 24th, 19, 07:17 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs69 View Post
That is correct, your driveshaft will be straight in the horizontal plane. (My understanding) When it is all bolted in you will then have to set your pinion angle in the vertical plane with angle shims. In vertical plane, it is said to be bad to have the driveshaft straight in line. To my understanding it is best to have a 2* down on one end (usually transmission output) and 2* up on the other. (usually axle pinion) There should be others that will chime in with more or better info !

Thanks a lot and for those pictures, seeing the examples makes it much easier to understand (for me anyway.)

Old Nov 24th, 19, 08:56 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Angle should be no less than three degrees and no more than five degrees for maximum universal life and minimal power loss to universal flexing. It can be perfectly flat the way racers do it but the universal will burn up in hours to days of use as the bearings in the universal are not turning. The steeper he angle the more the bearings roll but it cost energy to roll them and the pressure in the joint increases as it flexes (why a raised truck breaks universal joints so often that they carry several spares in the cab).

Big Dave
Old Nov 24th, 19, 09:11 PM
Tech Team

I wish I would've recorded all my angles before pulling the motor/trans, just out of curiosity and as a base reference, didn't think of it I'll remember for next time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement