Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Oct 26th, 11, 06:37 PM
Jack

Jacks72 has a positive reputation
Default Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Hi, switching from column shifted to original SS console w/ shifter on my 72. I have the shifter tunnel hump and know where it goes but I don't know where to cut the hole in the floor pan and how big and what shape to make the hole. There is an indentation on the hump on the left side where everything seems to be lining up with, but not sure if that's it and if that's it what shape to cut out. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 26th, 11, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jack

Jackel has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks72 View Post
Hi, switching from column shifted to original SS console w/ shifter on my 72. I have the shifter tunnel hump and know where it goes but I don't know where to cut the hole in the floor pan and how big and what shape to make the hole. There is an indentation on the hump on the left side where everything seems to be lining up with, but not sure if that's it and if that's it what shape to cut out. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
My experience with a factory 4-speed console and hump hole is as follows. The hole is cut to fit the hump adapter. The factory was pretty sloppy at cutting the hole but if you have located the adapter and mounting brackets correctly then cut the hole slightly 1/4" smaller than the interior size of the hump adapter. My 4-speed tunnel was cut from the factory without regard for any pleasing to the eye straight cut. In some places it is 1/2" away from the interior wall of the hump adapter and other places it is just below where it mates to the hump.

68-72 Console w/ gauges
w/ auto shifter plates

The position of the shifter tunnel can be placed using the measurements below. I found a 69 Nova that I was able to take these measurements. This allowed me to install a console into my 71. The shifter tunnel is positioned 6-1/2" back from the sheetmetal seam on the floor pan. Once this distance is set, make sure the shifter tunnel is level side to side. You want the shifter to sit nice and vertical, this will position the tunnel correctly. This is from Nova.net. Hope this helps a little...Jack

68-72 Console Shifter Hump
Old Oct 27th, 11, 11:52 AM
Jack

Very cool...I have that same diagram and it is what I used to calculate where I needed to put the shifted hump. Just wasn't sure about the size of the hole tho. Kinda makes sense tho as the shifter hump is actually taking the place for the piece that's getting cut out...Thx very much...

Old Oct 27th, 11, 03:49 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Jack This is so frequently asked that I made your post a sticky.

Big Dave
Old Oct 27th, 11, 05:58 PM
Jack

Thanks Big Dave !!!
Old Apr 22nd, 12, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackel View Post
My experience with a factory 4-speed console and hump hole is as follows. The hole is cut to fit the hump adapter. The factory was pretty sloppy at cutting the hole but if you have located the adapter and mounting brackets correctly then cut the hole slightly 1/4" smaller than the interior size of the hump adapter. My 4-speed tunnel was cut from the factory without regard for any pleasing to the eye straight cut. In some places it is 1/2" away from the interior wall of the hump adapter and other places it is just below where it mates to the hump.

68-72 Console w/ gauges
w/ auto shifter plates

The position of the shifter tunnel can be placed using the measurements below. I found a 69 Nova that I was able to take these measurements. This allowed me to install a console into my 71. The shifter tunnel is positioned 6-1/2" back from the sheetmetal seam on the floor pan. Once this distance is set, make sure the shifter tunnel is level side to side. You want the shifter to sit nice and vertical, this will position the tunnel correctly. This is from Nova.net. Hope this helps a little...Jack

68-72 Console Shifter Hump
It seems that Nova.net has ceased to exist. SAD Has anyone saved the pictures for the console placement measurements on their computer? If not, we have lost a valuable thread...Jack
Old Apr 22nd, 12, 07:18 PM
Tech Team
Ricky

nctravellinman has a positive reputation

Did a similar conversion. With the engine and trans bolted together and front mounts seated (but not bolted), I jacked the trans up until the shifter stub hit the hump. Took a Sharpie and marked that. Dropped the tranny out of the way, then drilled about a 1/4" hole where I had marked with the Sharpie. Went topside, and used the hole as a reference point to locate the hump adapter and cut accordingly.
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctravellinman View Post
Did a similar conversion. With the engine and trans bolted together and front mounts seated (but not bolted), I jacked the trans up until the shifter stub hit the hump. Took a Sharpie and marked that. Dropped the tranny out of the way, then drilled about a 1/4" hole where I had marked with the Sharpie. Went topside, and used the hole as a reference point to locate the hump adapter and cut accordingly.
Ricky, where there is a WILL, there is a way. Way to go. I would still like the pic's though, as they were factory and another good way to locate the front console bracket and rear hump adapter...Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement