Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova
   

Auto Insurance



Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old Oct 26th, 11, 06:37 PM
Jacks72 Jacks72 is offline
Jack
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: irmo
Posts: 11
Jacks72 has a positive reputation
Default Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Hi, switching from column shifted to original SS console w/ shifter on my 72. I have the shifter tunnel hump and know where it goes but I don't know where to cut the hole in the floor pan and how big and what shape to make the hole. There is an indentation on the hump on the left side where everything seems to be lining up with, but not sure if that's it and if that's it what shape to cut out. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old Oct 26th, 11, 10:09 PM
Jackel Jackel is offline
Senior Tech Team *
Jack
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central California (A Heat Sink Hole)
Posts: 1,896
Jackel has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks72 View Post
Hi, switching from column shifted to original SS console w/ shifter on my 72. I have the shifter tunnel hump and know where it goes but I don't know where to cut the hole in the floor pan and how big and what shape to make the hole. There is an indentation on the hump on the left side where everything seems to be lining up with, but not sure if that's it and if that's it what shape to cut out. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
My experience with a factory 4-speed console and hump hole is as follows. The hole is cut to fit the hump adapter. The factory was pretty sloppy at cutting the hole but if you have located the adapter and mounting brackets correctly then cut the hole slightly 1/4" smaller than the interior size of the hump adapter. My 4-speed tunnel was cut from the factory without regard for any pleasing to the eye straight cut. In some places it is 1/2" away from the interior wall of the hump adapter and other places it is just below where it mates to the hump.

68-72 Console w/ gauges
w/ auto shifter plates

The position of the shifter tunnel can be placed using the measurements below. I found a 69 Nova that I was able to take these measurements. This allowed me to install a console into my 71. The shifter tunnel is positioned 6-1/2" back from the sheetmetal seam on the floor pan. Once this distance is set, make sure the shifter tunnel is level side to side. You want the shifter to sit nice and vertical, this will position the tunnel correctly. This is from Nova.net. Hope this helps a little...Jack


68-72 Console Shifter Hump
__________________
Retired Bum, The Transition Was Easy
70 Nova SS - Documented (My first ever "new car" purchased in 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Oct 27th, 11, 11:52 AM
Jacks72 Jacks72 is offline
Jack
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: irmo
Posts: 11
Jacks72 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Very cool...I have that same diagram and it is what I used to calculate where I needed to put the shifted hump. Just wasn't sure about the size of the hole tho. Kinda makes sense tho as the shifter hump is actually taking the place for the piece that's getting cut out...Thx very much...
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old Oct 27th, 11, 03:49 PM
Big Dave Big Dave is offline
Site Moderator
Dave
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 17,539
Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Jack This is so frequently asked that I made your post a sticky.

Big Dave
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Oct 27th, 11, 05:58 PM
Jacks72 Jacks72 is offline
Jack
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: irmo
Posts: 11
Jacks72 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Thanks Big Dave !!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 22nd, 12, 11:53 AM
Jackel Jackel is offline
Senior Tech Team *
Jack
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central California (A Heat Sink Hole)
Posts: 1,896
Jackel has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackel View Post
My experience with a factory 4-speed console and hump hole is as follows. The hole is cut to fit the hump adapter. The factory was pretty sloppy at cutting the hole but if you have located the adapter and mounting brackets correctly then cut the hole slightly 1/4" smaller than the interior size of the hump adapter. My 4-speed tunnel was cut from the factory without regard for any pleasing to the eye straight cut. In some places it is 1/2" away from the interior wall of the hump adapter and other places it is just below where it mates to the hump.

68-72 Console w/ gauges
w/ auto shifter plates

The position of the shifter tunnel can be placed using the measurements below. I found a 69 Nova that I was able to take these measurements. This allowed me to install a console into my 71. The shifter tunnel is positioned 6-1/2" back from the sheetmetal seam on the floor pan. Once this distance is set, make sure the shifter tunnel is level side to side. You want the shifter to sit nice and vertical, this will position the tunnel correctly. This is from Nova.net. Hope this helps a little...Jack



68-72 Console Shifter Hump
It seems that Nova.net has ceased to exist. SAD Has anyone saved the pictures for the console placement measurements on their computer? If not, we have lost a valuable thread...Jack
__________________
Retired Bum, The Transition Was Easy
70 Nova SS - Documented (My first ever "new car" purchased in 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 22nd, 12, 07:18 PM
nctravellinman nctravellinman is offline
Tech Team
Ricky
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngsville, NC
Posts: 61
nctravellinman has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Did a similar conversion. With the engine and trans bolted together and front mounts seated (but not bolted), I jacked the trans up until the shifter stub hit the hump. Took a Sharpie and marked that. Dropped the tranny out of the way, then drilled about a 1/4" hole where I had marked with the Sharpie. Went topside, and used the hole as a reference point to locate the hump adapter and cut accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 23rd, 12, 10:14 AM
Jackel Jackel is offline
Senior Tech Team *
Jack
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central California (A Heat Sink Hole)
Posts: 1,896
Jackel has a positive reputation
Default Re: Hole in floor pan for shifter linkage rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctravellinman View Post
Did a similar conversion. With the engine and trans bolted together and front mounts seated (but not bolted), I jacked the trans up until the shifter stub hit the hump. Took a Sharpie and marked that. Dropped the tranny out of the way, then drilled about a 1/4" hole where I had marked with the Sharpie. Went topside, and used the hole as a reference point to locate the hump adapter and cut accordingly.
Ricky, where there is a WILL, there is a way. Way to go. I would still like the pic's though, as they were factory and another good way to locate the front console bracket and rear hump adapter...Jack
__________________
Retired Bum, The Transition Was Easy
70 Nova SS - Documented (My first ever "new car" purchased in 1970)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Floor Shifter Mr1969396 Driveline 4 Aug 6th, 09 06:16 PM
Floor Shifter HVAC Nova Tech 14 Jan 31st, 09 12:07 PM
Floor shifter jrwnova Driveline 7 Jan 14th, 09 03:44 PM
Column shifter vs floor drummerboy Nova Tech 13 Nov 21st, 08 09:45 PM
Shifter linkage les3tail Driveline 2 May 29th, 08 07:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.


2009 AutoForums
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.