Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

1962-1967 nova windshield install how to with pics

50K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  62 NovaWagon 
#1 ·
I have posted this on another site and thought it might help some guys here as well!

First here are the tools you will need hook tool (cotter pin puller), 1/4" or 3/8" rope (3/8" is prefered) and some type of byutl sealant ( tremco wb300 was used here)

Take the hook tool and pull down on the rubber gasket on the inside of the vehicle breaking it loose from the pinchweld. (spray soapy water on the back side of the lip makes removal easier)

With your hand GENTLY push out on the glass (You may need a helper to pull down on the rubber lip while pushing out on the glass. You did spray soapy water on the gasket didn't you?)

once the glass is removed from the car set the windshield on a stand (a large garbage can works in a pinch). Next remove the gasket from the glass being carefull NOT to remove the chrome. If the chrome comes out, don't worry set it aside out of the way and in a safe place. Now put the gasket on the new windshield and make sure it is seated on the glass. If the chrome came out of the gasket now is the time to put it in the gasket. It will go in only one way when it is in you will feel it "lock" onto the gasket. Be sure to get the top and bottom pieces UNDER the sides

Next insert the 3/8" rope in the INSIDE lip of the gasket. Start one end at the TOP in the MIDDLE. Make sure to leave around 12 inches hanging out.

Run the rope all the way around the gasket and OVERLAP the begining of the rope about 3-4 inches

Now you can apply the sealer to the gasket. Look CLOSELY at the picture for proper placement of the sealer. It MUST be applied all the way around the gasket for proper sealing. ( If you don't drive your car in the rain much this step can be skipped
)

Next spray soapy water on the gasket surface. This will help to "SLIDE" the rope out and it helps the rubber "SLIDE" over the pinchweld. With a helper set the windshield in the opening of the car, make sure the rope stays on the inside of the car and the windshield is centered in the opening.

Now with a helper on the outside putting LIGHT pressure on the glass pull down on the rope.

Pull the rope across the top, down the side and just and inch around the bottom corner the STOP. Go back to the top and pull the rope the other way around to the bottom corner. Then grab both ends and pull towards the middle. You may have to stop pulling every now and again and SLAP the windshield with your hand

The next step is to seal the gasket to the glass. Insert the tip of the sealant between the glass and the gasket and pump the sealant all the way around the windshield. (It's a PITA but MOST leaks will come from here)

All that is left is to clean up the mess from the sealer.
I have found wax and grease remover works best. Now go have a
or 12 and cuss me out for telling you how to do this

See less See more
#6 ·
I would like to do a similar "how to" on a 68-79 NOVA. If you live in the madison Wi area please PM me and we can work out the details. I will give you a GRAT deal on the install the only thing is that YOU will have to take the pics for me, while I am working on your car!:D:thumbsup::beers:

#9 ·
Grumpy, if i might add to your idea, i used a roll of yellow surveyor twine, very stout but not as thick...I also coated twine with petroleum jelly.. Messy, but twine slides easier over the glass. One bit of warning, smaller twine will tend to want to cut the edge of the rubber if pulling too fast. Work slow and deliberate tho, it does great. I hope it also will keep the rubber more pliable over the long haul.

#10 ·
I have used the twine in a pinch. The 3/8 rope is MUCH better to work with as it DOES NOT cut into the gasket!!! If you spray glass cleaner on the rope it will also slide out of the gasket WITHOUT the mess. I am glad you were able to use the instructions to help though!:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Grumpy we used your how-to guide from the other site to R&R the windshield and install a new seal on the wagon. Excellent write up, thanks. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Hello have you ever had trouble with the soft seal windshield gasket iv had my glass in and out four times now the stainless trim will lock into place and lay flat on the gasket edge on the side closest to the paint but the edge of the trim closest to the glass side has 1/8 gap between rubber and trim on the top pc and bottom pc all the way across.also the side rubber also barley skirts over the pillars on the last two inches at the top will a gasket from steel rubber or another company do any better Thanks for any help with this Skip.t

G
#16 ·
a lot of times, regardless of manufacturer, the slits in the rubber for the stainless need to be touched up with a razor blade. the forming process doesn't complete the cuts so the stainless won't fit... open the rubber and you'll see in the corners where the cuts need to be completed.

#25 ·
Since photobucket blurred out the photos, i have them and have posted them here. Hope this helps others that are going to install their own windshield.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.