headers for 454 bbc with afr 265 heads - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jun 18th, 19, 08:47 PM

dmassey has a positive reputation
Default headers for 454 bbc with afr 265 heads

converting my 72 to a 454 bbc with afr 265 heads.looking to see what people are using for headers and how much modification they required to fit.i know people say lemons are the go but they are far to big for a street car.looking for 1 7/8 or 2 inch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 19, 11:02 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation
Default Re: headers for 454 bbc with afr 265 heads

Welcome to Team Nova!

I've use different headers on a lot of different vehicles, and I found it's hard to find a better fit than Hedman..
Old Jun 19th, 19, 02:03 AM
Tech Team

Aukai has a positive reputation

The raised exhaust port may cause a little spark plug changing challenges, and finding the right boot to clear the "generic" headers. This is Hooker 2" with a .300 exhaust port, I added a spacer. This is for a Chevelle chassis, not sure how similar the bends are.

Last edited by Aukai; Jun 19th, 19 at 02:22 AM.

Old Jun 19th, 19, 03:05 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

If the price of Lemon headers doesn't scare you them I remind you they are a custom header maker. They can bend the primary pipe in any sizer you want to make a custom header. Because of the price I recommend using stainless steel so that they never rust out.

Big Dave
Old Jun 19th, 19, 03:53 AM
Tech Team

I have a couple of sets from Dan, he will make what you need for sure.
Old Jun 19th, 19, 06:40 AM

The price of lemons does scare me abit as I'm from Australia by the time you convert it it works out to 2100$ plus around 350 shipping so if I could get away with using off the shelf headers would be a huge cost saver.i don't mind if I have to put a few dings in them to get them to fit
Old Jun 19th, 19, 12:05 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

With raised port exhaust heads you have the same issue with fitment as a tall deck BBC does in clearing everything. You raised your ports 0.300" and the Tall Deck truck block raises them 0.400". This brings them closer to the steering gear box and gets in the way of your clutch linkage (which is usually fixed by going to a hydraulic clutch out of a third gen Camaro). The hydraulic clutch conversion also requires reinforcing the firewall, in addition to new parts.

I gave up on off the shelf headers because they don't fit most of the time. I use a stainless steel variant of this kit and take them to my muffler shop to be TIG welded (I am not that good and trying to get a torch in a small area with my big paws is difficult).

https://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot+Exhau...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Big-B...hoCaeEQAvD_BwE

The Kit I use:

https://www.stainlessheaders.com/pro...der_Build_Kit/

Big Dave
Old Jun 19th, 19, 07:55 PM

thanks for the inputs.i might have to go down the custom route maybe.i have read on a few other forums people have got away with using hooker comps 2inch with out any problems or just had to trim abit of the flange and put a small dimple in one of the tubes for the spark plugs
Old Jun 20th, 19, 02:14 AM
Tech Team

Not Super comps, they hang low.
Old Jun 23rd, 19, 09:28 PM

apart from hanging to low is there any real other issue
Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:38 AM
Tech Team

For street driving it is a big issue with Chevelles. 1 7/8" header should be all you need for 265 ports, I'm not an expert, just repeating what the choir is preaching.
Old Jun 24th, 19, 09:59 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Got software to calculate primary pipes and length depending upon displacement and RPM, but you are stuck with fixed sizes with off the shelf headers. I agree with Aukai based upon my fifty plus years of experience that 1-7/8th inch primaries with thee inch collectors will work better than cast iron stock manifolds on a BBC.

Most people buy headers as a fashion statement. They know all of their friends have them, and as sheep they want to join the heard. Truth is with a SBC cast iron manifolds are actually better in terms of performance cost and reliability than tubular headers for a 350 or smaller below 4,600 RPM (where you drive on the street). BBC has a bad exhaust port that offers a 30 hp gain if you raise it 0.300" in height to help straighten out the one hundred and eighty degree bend in the path that the the exhaust gasses follow leaving the combustion chamber.

The path is dictated due to the size of the motor (designed to fit in trucks). In a Nova body it is a tight fit, so the exhaust path was folded back on itself to get manifolds to fit (just barely). This is why in a Camaro and Nova the motor is offset an inch to the passenger side to clear the steering gear box).

Historically (that is to say in my lifetime) headers were invented by Jerry Stahl, and hand built for racing drivers by Bob Hedman, Gary Hooker (who was a business man not a welder), and Doug Thorley's companies are among the survivors today. They all started out as muffler shop owners who made tubular headers on the side. Every muffler shop offered the manufacture of headers made from scratch (flat steel and round tube). They advertised in Hot Rod and other car mags as well as word of mouth.

Dan Lemons is following in the tradition of his predecessors. Offering headers to fit your car not an off the shelf header that you have to modify to fit. Off the shelf headers do not hang too low. They were designed to fit a car that sits at stock ride height, with a factory installed motor, and that motor retains all of it's stock parts. If you change something then off the shelf headers will not fit.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement