Chevrolet Nova Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Martin's "Bodywork Basics of Basics"

17K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Brian Martin's "Bodywork Basics of Basics"

Can't have a body shop without this info on the wall next to the tool box...

Required Reading :beers:

#4 ·
Re: Brian Martin's "Basics of Basics"

Hello all, being I have a soft spot in my heart for Novas I have added this forum to my favorites and will visit. If you have any questions ask away.

Brian

#5 ·

MARTINSR said:
Hello all, being I have a soft spot in my heart for Novas I have added this forum to my favorites and will visit. If you have any questions ask away.

Brian
Brian, I notice that you go heavily into the paint systems. The thing I was wondering is how do the Por - 15, eastwood rust encapsulator, and masterseries rust stopping and prevention products fit into the scheme of things. They are not listed as part of any of the other paint systems, but I imagine they will have an effect on how well the other paints bond to the surface of the metal since they are adding additional chemicals to the overall chemical re-action.

Also since you alot better at body work than I am when can you come out to Pittsburgh and do my car! I'll supply the beer and pizza! :rolleyes:

#6 ·

Ok, you are not going to like it, but I don't think POR or the others are "real" automotive products. I understand, there is a place for them in they may be a "bestest" option much like "repairing" a rust hole with a reinforced body filler may be.

But honestly, they should be left to "saving time" from doing it right, not trying "To" doing it right.

Brian

#8 ·

MARTINSR said:
Ok, you are not going to like it, but I don't think POR or the others are "real" automotive products. I understand, there is a place for them in they may be a "bestest" option much like "repairing" a rust hole with a reinforced body filler may be.

But honestly, they should be left to "saving time" from doing it right, not trying "To" doing it right.

Brian
Actually this is kinda what I expected to hear! I just wanted to hear it from someone who knows what they are doing to reassure me in the fact that as long as you get rid of the rust and paint it right you don't need it! I would like to get years of driving my car when I'm done, don't plan on selling it, but do want it looking at least half way done by someone who is knows what they are doing. That last part will surprise everyone!!:beers:

#9 ·

Like I said, there are places for POR and the others, but not to the extent that it has been used. If a person goes to a "McPaint" store like Earl Shieb EXPECTING that the job will be less than perfect, and pays accordingly, wonderful. Earl, has met the customers expectations.

If the guy brings his car there because he believes the hyped Earl ad talking about "DuPont resins" in their "Ultra Shine","guaranteed not to fade" paint and have an expectation MUCH higher than the Earl can live up to, now that is wrong.

Those products COVER UP rust, it needs to be removed.

Brian

G
#12 ·
Re: Brian Martin's "Bodywork Basics of Basics"

Please go back to the first post and click on the link... the info has been located and the link has been updated.

again, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

#14 ·
Re: Brian Martin's "Bodywork Basics of Basics"

Can't have a body shop without this info on the wall next to the tool box...

Required Reading :beers:

I really enjoy browsing thru the info here. It has helped me in several restorations. I was looking for info on cut and buff like compounds, pads, do's and don'ts ect. Thanks for all the hours that went into this post.

This post has been deleted
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.