Legend 700 or M22w - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Sep 12th, 18, 04:37 PM

Toslow has a positive reputation
Default Legend 700 or M22w

First off I want to say Hello to every body.
So with winter approaching I'm looking into possible upgrades. First off I have a 1972 Nova that has an Muncie m22 in it with a factory console. As everyone knows the 2.20 first gear is crap even with 373s so I'm looking into getting an Auto gear M22w as it will be a direct replacement. I have read good things about the Legend transmission, but can't find any info on it for the Nova. How much is the unit, and what modifications if any will be involved as I an unwilling to cut up my floor. Having a 5th gear is not a deal breaker to me but is worthy of looking into if any of you have some experience with that swap over and would kindly share it with me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 12th, 18, 05:57 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Legend 700 or M22w

I would consider the AGE four speed (a HD replacement with a stronger case, bigger bearings and counter-shaft shaft along with a cast iron mid-plate), or a Richmond five speed:

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...-richmond-gear

It is basically a BW Super T-10 with an additional OD gear stuck in the tail shaft. They have another five speed that is used in racing that they sell along with a handful of gears to modify your car's launch for altitude or traction (aka temperature), but it is nearly twice the price and the additional gear ratios don't come cheap.

The advantage of the Richmond Five speed is you can increase the rear gear ratio for a faster launch while retaining a low RPM cruise by dropping the tranny down into OD. And it is a fraction of the price of a T56 from BW or a TKO 600.

Big Dave
Old Sep 12th, 18, 06:07 PM

Does the Richmond tranny require tunnel modifications.. That's kind of my biggest concern with a 5 speed.

Old Sep 12th, 18, 09:24 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

No it is basically a Borg-Warner T-10 with bigger liberty gears installed. The exterior case is about the same size, though longer.

Big Dave
Old Sep 13th, 18, 04:59 AM

Richmond definitely looks like an option. It looks like the Richmond, Mcleod m5, and the Legend 700 are the best options without big mods unfortunately I just don't see many going this route in 3rd gen Nova's. Seems most go with the TKO
Old Sep 13th, 18, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

big gear head has a positive reputation

I've got a M23Z in my Camaro. I went with the 2.98 first gear so I could run a more highway friendly gear in the rear. The LG700 is a good transmission, but kind of hard to get. You might want to contact Jody at Jody's Transmission and see if they are available. He is a LG700 dealer (and a Autogear dealer). No modifications are required for this transmission.
Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I think I will give Jody a call I believe he is a Mcleod dealer as well.
Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:32 AM

Big gear what rear gear did you switch to and does your vehicle still have plenty of umph off the line. I was pretty set on a M22w to get that 2.56 first gear, but I kinda figured I should evaluate other options first.
Old Sep 13th, 18, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

big gear head has a positive reputation

I've got a 3.70 gear with 31 inch tires. That puts me in the 3.2 range for a normal size tire. Yes, my car still pulls hard. The 2.98 first gear works well.
Old Sep 15th, 18, 07:31 PM
Tech Team
Jim

slim has a positive reputation

I have the Legend LGT700 in my 72 Nova. no modifications what so ever. I should be able to drive the car in a few weeks to check it out. Bought it through Jody, good people to deal with.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809_204835.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	16599  
pump gas 9:72 to 1

70 LS6 chevelle, unrestored, original paint
M-22 4 speed
Old Sep 17th, 18, 08:13 AM

The Legend 700 is probably the best option if it wasn't a unicorn. I have received emails by 2 distributors that stated they are no longer taking orders because the waiting list is so long. Now I haven't contacted Jody yet but I'm guessing he is in the same boat.
Old Oct 26th, 18, 03:22 PM
Tech Team

JodysTransmissions has a positive reputation

The new Richmond 5 Speed OD is not user friendly for many GM application. The 1968-1974 Nova's have a shifter stick location of 17.5" rearward from the bellhousing/transmission mating surface with various 1.5" to 2.5" left offset with these vehicles.

The Richmond 5 Speed OD Long Shifter stick sits back around 19" and sets up a few inches higher than a stock Nova Hurst shifter on a Muncie 4 speed.

With the above mentioned, we could not make this 5 speed work without cutting the tunnel in the 1967-1969 Camaro or the 1968-1974 Nova.

610-413-8015
Autogear Muncie Distributor
Legend700 5 Speed Distributor
Jody's Transmissions on Facebook
Old Oct 26th, 18, 03:29 PM
Tech Team

JodysTransmissions has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toslow View Post
The Legend 700 is probably the best option if it wasn't a unicorn. I have received emails by 2 distributors that stated they are no longer taking orders because the waiting list is so long. Now I haven't contacted Jody yet but I'm guessing he is in the same boat.

The supply and demand for the LGT700 makes it a very long wait time for guys to receive one. This 5 speed is a low production build and has a slow delivery, but it installs in many GM vehicles without tunnel cutting.
610-413-8015
Autogear Muncie Distributor
Legend700 5 Speed Distributor
Jody's Transmissions on Facebook
Old Dec 18th, 18, 04:34 PM

Thanks Jody.

Based on the information you gave i'm thinking that the Richmond would still have less modifications than a Tremec.
I'm thinking that if I moved the hole back roughly 2 inches and possible sliding the console back a little
I would be in the ball park.

I drove an OD Richmond and the Tremec TKO and really liked the .77 5th gear of the Richmond, it was a very usable gear. I felt the Tremec's 5th gear was only usable if the car was going 80.( both cars had a 373 diff.)

Jody I have seen pictures of a modified shifter for this tranny that you created. Is that for the NON OD version?

Last edited by Toslow; Dec 18th, 18 at 04:51 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 18, 04:44 PM

Just so you know the tunnel cutting isnt as big a deal to me as I originally posted. I decided to take my car in a new direction. Currently my car is in the process of being mini tubed and I purchased the complete Ridetech coilover suspension system including the True turn. I am taking pics and I will post on here when I have it completed.

Last edited by Toslow; Dec 18th, 18 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement