Wrong angle on lower Radiator hose neck? - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling & air conditioning

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Apr 21st, 20, 04:41 PM
Team Member

63 SS BOB has a positive reputation
Default Wrong angle on lower Radiator hose neck?

On my 63 Nova with a 350 I just bought a new aluminum radiator. Problem is, the lower neck is welded straight out instead of turning to the left for the hose to clear my A/C unit down there. All the lower radiators necks I see are welded straight out. My hose kinks trying to turn it 90 degrees to line up. My old radiator had the neck turned to the right angle? Now what?

Maybe get a welder to cut it off and re-weld it to the correct angle??

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 20, 08:40 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Wrong angle on lower Radiator hose neck?

Welcome to hot Rodding!

Usually a bent neck is the problem; which is a sign of a Universal radiator. I don't recall a Chevy II having the A/C compressor mounted low like you describe it as a factory Harrison compressor was up above the valve cover on the drivers side in 1963 if it had factory air.

If your car isn't stock as in it just rolled off the assembly line with it's 153 cubic inch four banger, or a 194 cube straight six (the big engine in 1963 was a 215 straight six). then you as the proud owner of a custom made car YOU will have to fabricate a solution.

I recommend buying a few hoses from the auto parts store and a short drop of exhaust pipe from your local muffler shop that the hoses can fit over. Start with a 90 degree elbow and attach it to the lower radiator outlet. See how you can get from that bend to the top of the motor (avoiding headers and fans). Cut the tail pipe to make straight pieces and use bends and elbows to find your way to the water outlet. You ay be able to just cut a few inches off your existing hose and slip a four inch piece of pipe in the ends to hold the hoses together.

The water outlet comes in various angles as well to make things easier just avoid chrome plated ones as the gasket won't stick to chrome and you will get a nasty leak all over your cast iron log intake manifold if you are using a straight six or that fancy aluminum one if you are not.

I had to do this on my 1947 John Deere tractor because no one stocks a molded hose for my antique. Every one that installs an LS-x engine has to do this as well as the outlet on an LS is on the wrong side of the car for the hose to fit (you also have the issues with the heads needing two hoses to vent steam to the radiator; but that is a different kettle of fish).

Big Dave
Old Apr 22nd, 20, 09:08 AM
Team Member

63 SS BOB has a positive reputation
Default Re: Wrong angle on lower Radiator hose neck?

Yep-Your exactly right. It's a Florida Resto-Mod build and the AC unit is on the LT side lower exactly where the new hose radiator water outlet has to go. The old copper radiator seemed to line up perfectly but who knows that that was out of after a slow death. That being said, my new game plan is to have the outlet neck removed and re-welded to the right angle which is about a 90 degree turn some what upward. I'll keep you tuned in...bob

If it ain't worth doing-do it anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement