Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Wiper arm removal

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ramportin1 
#1 ·
This is probably a dumb question, but right now the cars brawn is beating my brains lol. I am trying to remove the windshield wiper arms to take the cowl off and really having a hard time. I see the little tab that appears to need to be either pushed down or pulled up on, I've tried both with a flat blade and putty knife and nothing. I also tried sliding a seat belt underneath it to give me some pulling leverage and still doesn't budge. I really dont want to damage the arms (and definitely not the perfect condition cowl) so could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Picture is of the only tab I can find that seems to be locking it on [emoji2373]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I've tried everything I can think of outside of just ripping on it. Hard to get the camera in there but I'll try sliding on it some more to see if I can get something to release. Maybe that spring holds tension?

#4 ·
Check for a small hole in the wiper arm near the cowl, it's there to aid in removal.

Pull the arm up and slip a small nail through the hole in the arm.

This should keep the arm suspended and off the windshield.

Then you can gently wiggle the arm off the splined shaft.

Thanks
Randy

#5 ·
Check for a small hole in the wiper arm near the cowl, it's there to aid in removal.

Pull the arm up and slip a small nail through the hole in the arm.

This should keep the arm suspended and off the windshield.

Then you can gently wiggle the arm off the splined shaft.

Thanks

Randy
Saw this trick on google and laughed at myself, went out to the shop only to find there is no hole on these wiper arms [emoji3062]

#11 ·
Wiper Arms and drive stud are made of stainless so they shouldn't rust (they do but it takes longer and it requires contamination such as road salts).So spraying with a corrosion treatment such as a phosphoric acid based treatement in light oil helps.

You will want this tool

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...VkJOzCh3LdQVlEAQYBCABEgKDfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

until you become a half century old mechanic then you use the pliers and a small screw driver from your back pocket (the ones that poke holes in the customer's upholstery) to remove the arms.

Note this Chinese knock off that claims to be the same tool for one third the price even though they look different:

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/prod...MIwuWtyJa25AIVkJOzCh3LdQVlEAQYASABEgL1pPD_BwE

Big Dave

#12 ·
Tool ordered lol thank you! Yeah my skills with the flat blade and needle nose is apparently not great [emoji2361] my fisher body manual should be here tomorrow hopefully will help me not run into silly things like this where I'm scratching my head saying every curse word ever made [emoji23]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.