Soon to be mine. Maybe !? - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old May 16th, 19, 10:57 AM

Caspero has a positive reputation
Default Soon to be mine. Maybe !?

Hello. Newbie here. So been on the hunt for a gen 3 Nova for awhile now and think I found "the one". Been my dream car since HS lol. Anyways this is a 71 Nova supposedly 383 stroker 3spd auto with mini tub. Car is not perfect but perfect for me. I think. I don't know a whole ton about it but am trying my best to figure it all out. The guy who owned it passed away and his family is selling it so they have limited info on it. One of my biggest ?'s is the mini tub and if it's done correctly. Based on the picture it looks like it's missing the tubs and maybe just the shock was moved over and leaf pack removed. Any thoughts ?
Anything I should look out for or be aware of ? Also is their a easy way to tell if it's actually a 383 ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Caspero; May 16th, 19 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 19, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Soon to be mine. Maybe !?

Here's some pic's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4948.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	16729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4949.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	16731  
Old May 16th, 19, 11:37 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Welcome to Team Nova!

Old May 16th, 19, 11:57 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Or as stated in the movie Cool Hand Luke, "What we have here is a failure to excommunicate". There is no evidence of mini tubs that I can see. What I do see is a ladder bar and coil over shock installation. If you tub it the shocks move inside the frame rails and are supported by a new add-in (welded) additional frame cross-member between the two frame rails to mount the shock to.

Mini tubs are a lot of work for minimal gain, but offer the advantage of retaining a modified rear back seat (you have to remove it, disassemble it, cut the foam and padding, cut the wire seat frame down, reweld it back together at it's shorter length, then reupholster with a modified seat cover).

Because of this amount of work (not to mention cutting up the body to add a one inch band of sheet metal to the width of the wheel wells) I use full sheet metal tubs in my race cars to hold a big slick and cut everything out of the car behind the rear seat foot wells to install a back half four link suspension. It is less work and offers better suspension for road or track: BUT as some purist point out It ain't exactly stock.

As to the 383, unless it is a Blueprint engine you will have no way of knowing without pulling the heads and measuring the swept volume. Almost all 383 engines started life as a 350 so the numbers will point back to a 350, not a 383 (unless it is a very rare 383 Chrysler RB big block some body put in a Nova thinking it was a Dodge Dart by mistake).

Welcome to the Team!

Big Dave
Old May 16th, 19, 12:26 PM

Ok thank you for responding. So basically just looks like wide wheels and upgraded coil over shocks with ladder bars.
Unfortunately the car is out of state so it's tough to put eyes on it. I'm relying on pictures and videos. Really love the car though and even if it's not mini tub I still think it may be worth the price. Just trying to cover my butt before I make the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement