Starting When Hot - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jul 27th, 19, 12:37 AM
Gary

railroader has a positive reputation
Default Starting When Hot

Took a test drive today. Found the bumping noise in the rear of car. Exhaust pipe bumping on left springs on large dips in road. The other issue is re-starting car when it is hot. Here's what happening: Have to have accelerator to floor, starter initially turns slow (like it's dragging) then speeds up and car will then start after it spins few turns time.

Timing, checked and set at 8 degrees (according to balancer tags) advance. Below this setting, engine runs really rough. Engine is 350 with what seems to be a slight cam (don't know what type, I didn't build engine). Holley 650 carb.

Thinking might have a starter issue, but don't know why pedal has to be fully pressed. Open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 27th, 19, 12:48 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Starting When Hot

If you have tubular headers; that is the issue. The tubes are roasting the starter motor and the solenoid. This is causing the metal to swell.

Big Dave
Old Jul 27th, 19, 01:21 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

It's called heat soak, hook up a remote Ford solenoid for direct voltage,that usually cures the issue.

Old Jul 27th, 19, 11:16 PM
Gary

Car does have long tube headers. I felt like "heat" was part of the problem. If I understand your solution suggestion;
Get remote solenoid
wire from battery to one side of remote solenoid
wire from other side of solenoid to batter post on original solenoid on the starter
wire from battery post on original solenoid to S terminal on original solenoid

What about wire from ignition? Does it remain on original solenoid as it is now?
Old Jul 27th, 19, 11:22 PM
Gary

Not being familiar with this, how does the remote solenoid help? Going to have same heat at original solenoid and starter.
Old Jul 27th, 19, 11:48 PM
Gary

Disregard my last post. I now understand how this could work.
Old Jul 28th, 19, 12:22 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

It's direct current to the solenoid instead of going through the whole system, it's as if you took a screw driver crossed terminals on the solenoid, been doing this to all my GM vehicles for better than 30yrs, especially with headers close to the starter, I can run for 200 mi in 115* weather, stop for 10 minutes and it'll start right up no problem, and that's with a big block.
Old Jul 29th, 19, 12:53 AM
Gary

I said I understood this but one more question. Wire from ignition for start mode. Does it connect to battery terminal on remote solenoid or the "S" terminal?
Image on this website looks like battery terminal and I'm now not sure. https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...strtr_blue.jpg
Old Jul 29th, 19, 12:43 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

The small (16 gauge) pink wire goes on the inside terminal labeled "S". The pink wire is from your ignition switch. If you have an HEI distributor you are done. If you have points the Purple 14 gauge wire goes on the "R" or "I" terminal on the out side terminal. That purple wire feeds a full 12 volts to the coil while cranking to aid starting the car with points.

Big Dave
Old Jul 29th, 19, 12:58 PM
Gary

Got it. Going to install today. Appreciate yours and NovaWagon's help. Nothing better than to go to someone who has been down the road your traveling.
Old Aug 2nd, 19, 02:28 PM

Dave Ray has a positive reputation

Sorry, starter/solenoid heat soak cannot e properly "solved" with a second solenoid, nor heavier rate solenoid spring. The only way to help this is to keep the starter cool.

To do that, a simple shroud around the starter and solenoid, with a fitting to hold flex hose to it, then the hose, to an electric fan in front of the radiator to pull cool air in, will keep the starter cool. I do this, and remove the Ford solenoid mayhem, and never look back.

As far as the timing, with a mild cam, initial will cant to be 12 deg/BTDC, with another 12 degrees of vacuum advance timing added by a full manifold vacuum sourced vacuum advance, to give 24 IDLE degrees of timing.

To do this right, a simple, easy to do degrees stop needs to be added to the vacuum advance.

If anyone wants a NO ADS, COMPLETELY FREE, NO COST set of instructions, with pictures, ask for them at:

[email protected]

This degrees stop, set correctly, and sourced from full manifold vacuum, will also help keep the engine running cooler as well.

NEVER use PORTED vacuum advance sourcing on any early, or performance engine, it is only for emissions use. NO engine ever needed TWO acceleration advance curves to function correctly.

As far as mechanical advance, 24 crankshaft degrees will work, and when added to the 12 degrees INITIAL, will give 36 degrees of total advance. Spring to start the curve 100/150 RPM's above out of gear idle speed, limit 2,800 to 3,100 RPM's.
Old Aug 6th, 19, 02:49 AM
Tech Team
C

Carl Stevenson has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 NovaWagon View Post
It's direct current to the solenoid instead of going through the whole system, it's as if you took a screw driver crossed terminals on the solenoid, been doing this to all my GM vehicles for better than 30yrs, especially with headers close to the starter, I can run for 200 mi in 115* weather, stop for 10 minutes and it'll start right up no problem, and that's with a big block.
Plus one on this! Worked perfect for me on my 65 that always gave hot start issues. Never failed after I installed it!
Advertisement