Size of carb - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jan 29th, 08, 12:03 PM

Stonecrest has a positive reputation
Default Size of carb

Hello, im new to this site and i have a quistion. At the moment i have a 71 nova with a 350 and im pushing a little over 300 hp and i curently got a new intake and carb from summit. I got a elderbroke 750 carb and im experiencing stalling when i start off, my uncle checked the carb and the distributor suction and all that stuff and he said that the engine doenst have enough horse power for the carb and its putting out to much gas. I never thought you could get a "to big" carb, also when ever my friend is behind me he says he is smelling a lot of gas. So could this be the problem with the stalling when i start off? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 08, 08:46 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Cool Re: Size of carb

Yes you can over carburate an engine, especially if you do not use a vacuum secondary carb. 750 cfm will feed 650 horse power with no difficulty. The LS-6 450 horse 454 BBC left the factory with a 780 cfm Holley, and it would bog at the hit of the throttle unless properly tuned. A 350 cid motor will be quite happy with a 600 to 650 cfm vacuum secondary carb, and will cheerfully run up to about 5,400 RPM with a Holley 450 cfm carburetor (I use Holley because I have personal experience with them, not because there is anything wrong with the Carter AVS you have).

Big Dave
Old Jan 31st, 08, 12:11 AM

mcarmaniac has a positive reputation
Default Re: Size of carb

yes big Dave is right you can over carburate your motor. I have a 327 in my chevyII with a .30 over bore, heders, hei distibuter and performer intake, and they are telling the biggest I want to go would be a 650 so I may end up getting a 600 edelbrock. And my motor is farley stock to so I would think a 600 or 650 would work for you. Just call the support guys at summit or jegs and ask what they recomend thats what I always do, it'd best to have a bunch of opinions in my opinion

Old Jan 31st, 08, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Jay

jays64II has a positive reputation

The edelbrock 750 should be fine on that motor with th proper tune

Mazzoni Enterprises & Outlaw Autoworks
[email protected]

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/12...600x600Q85.jpg
Old Feb 4th, 08, 12:04 PM

Stonecrest has a positive reputation

Thank you very much dave, Im guessing im gona go with a 600 carb and that should stop the probelms, man i didnt know a 750 was for like a 650 hp engine. Thanks for all the help guys
Old Feb 4th, 08, 04:22 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

More important than the flow rate of the carb is how the carb gets it's signal as to engine load. The boosters (those round donuts on a stick that hang out into the venturi) come in three different designs (with ever increasing price tags). The stock straight leg has not changed much since Mr. Benz of Mercedes-Benz fame invented the carburetor 160 years ago. The next improvement is found on Holley’s HP series of carbs, and is the down leg booster. It places the booster further down in the venturi to amplify the vacuum signal that often gets lost with rumpity-rump cams.

Finally, if you really want to save money on gas and maximize the power out put of the engine (by lowering your Brake Specific Fuel Consumption number) you want annular boosters on your carb. This feature will allow you to run an 750 cfm on a 350 and still have good throttle response and top end flow with fewer tuning issues (actually if you used a vacuum secondary you could run an 850 carb without issues). An annular booster nearly doubles the price of the carb but you can recoup that cost in fuel savings on a daily driver.

Look at Holley’s new carb picker software on their web site. You answer a few questions (honestly now) and it will make a recommendation as to the correct size. That still leaves you with many choices as to finish and style. The annular boosters are not available on Holley’s low end 4160 carbs, but I think you can still find a down leg.

I do not work for Colt Industries (In interests of disclosure I do own their stock, but I have bought a lot of losers as well), and I am quoting Holley only because that is the carb I have used for the past four or five decades; they are not superior to any other brand, and many other carbs have similar features.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement