Power Steering... - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Oct 31st, 07, 04:16 AM

novadave496 has a positive reputation
Default Power Steering...

1970 Nova 454BBC bored and stroked to 496... Car has no power steering and I would like to add it... I haven't found any kits of that sort... so any ideas on what i'm looking for to start my project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 31st, 07, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lead Slacker

Gloryhound has a positive reputation
Default Re: Power Steering...

Power steering pump, Power steering gear w/correct pitman arm, good set of hoses (I believe BBC specific) and the BBC brackets.

I have an extra pump and gear with pitman, but the BBC specific parts I do not have. I would trade the power parts for the mechanical gear.
Old Oct 31st, 07, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Power steering pump and the hoses are specific to the big block because of where the low pressure return enters the tank to clear the heads an block. A BBC pump will work on a SBC but not the other way around. Brackets are of course also different because the mounting point holes do not line up from one block to the other. You have two pumps to chose from fast ratio or "normal". Fast ratio has fewer turns lock to lock (three instead of five if I recall correctly).

Source them off of a Camaro which more frequently than a Nova shipped with Power Steering (1968-74 first gen Camaro and 1975-79 use the second generation Camaro). Also in there will be a point in time when they went from the old style ASE fittings to Metric with an O-ring; that I can not recall, but I think it was in 1975.

Finally: on the Camaro board are a couple of articles written about setting up the Camaro for road racing (Trans/Am-Can/Am SCCA stuff) as there are about three different pitman arms with different tie rods to make it handle better, which are also applicable to the appropriate Nova body as we use the same front end (depending upon the year).

Big Dave

Old Nov 3rd, 07, 06:52 AM

novadave496 has a positive reputation

Wow, Thanks guys for all the help i'm starting to look around for the pieces I need. The shop I work at is almost done with the engine and power steering and trans are my next projects... Thanks for the help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement