305 oil pan - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Dec 27th, 09, 04:56 AM
Brian

bao530a has a positive reputation
Default 305 oil pan

am i going to have any foreseeable problems with dropping the oil pan on my 78 with a 305? will i have to mess the the cross members or anything like that, i need to replace the front and rear main seals along with the oil pan gasket. so what is the fastest and easiest way to drop the pan with out removing the motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 09, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

richietables has a positive reputation
Default Re: 305 oil pan

Having the same issue with my Mailbu. Planning on pulling the engine as I won't be able to clear the oil pump otherwise. Sorry--

1965 Malibu SS Ragtop
283 700r4 8.2
Old Dec 27th, 09, 10:13 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

You don't have a lot of choice unless you have a lift. If you have a lift you can undo the motor mounts, pull the distributor, loosen the exhaust to header pipe flange bolts to allow it to move, before you jack up the motor with a bottle jack up against the bottom of the water pump to obtain enough clearance to get the pan out (this requires a strong bridge between the frame rails, able to support a thousand pounds, in the middle of the board). This technique makes scraping the oil pan rails of the block not only difficult, but dangerous. I do not recommend this technique if you are lying on your back unless you use an engine hoist to support the front of the motor (and those engine hoist legs take up a lot of room under a car while you are crawling around under there, which is why I wish I hadn't thrown away my rusty old steel pipe A-frame chain fall hoist when I got my first cherry picker engine hoist)

Big Dave
Old Dec 27th, 09, 02:41 PM
Brian

well in that case let me explain my problem, i just replaced the timing chain and now i cant get the timing chain cover back on, the front main seal was just too big and kept the timing chain cover from seating up it would just would just kick the bottom part out again. so in that case do you know any tricks for putting a timing chain cover back on without dropping the oil pan?
Old Dec 27th, 09, 04:24 PM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

If the very ends of the metal lip on the inside of the timing cover that holds the pan seal are trimmed off at an angle it will be easier to install the cover. Those edges make it hard to install with the pan on. Then just push down on the timing cover to compress the rubber seal until it will slide onto the dowel pins. Loosening some of the forward pan bolts will help.

Removing the oil pan with the engine in the car is very hard and like Dave said, can be dangerous. If you attempt to remove the pan then remove the motor mount through bolts, pull the distributor cap, loosen the exhaust to allow it to move, and using a piece of 2x4 under the pan raise the engine high enough to insert some short 2x4's between the engine mount bracket and the motor mount. Lower the engine onto the 2x4's. It is now safer to work under it. Depending on transmission either remove the converter cover or if a manual remove the bell housing. These will be in the way of pulling the pan back to get it out. The crank may also need to rotated as the pan is removed to clear the counter weights. Sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:02 PM
Brian

hey guys i got it on today finally thanks for all the help. i would be totally screwed with out this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement