Your thoughts on my suspension set up? - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Mar 30th, 14, 12:41 PM
Tech Team

69Nova355 has a positive reputation
Default Your thoughts on my suspension set up?

My car is a 1969 Nova. My goal is to make it into a corner carver.

So far, my suspension mods consist of Hotchkis weld in subframe connectors, Hotchkis 1907F 2" drop coils, EVERY bushing under the car (body, upper/lower control arm, leaf/shackle, sway bar/end links) are all the black polyurethane (polygraphite?) Energy Suspension bushings, Bilstein shocks in all 4 corners, Proforged 101-10016 upper ball joints that are 1/2 taller than stock, with Proforged 101-10013 lower ball joints....and I have 3 leaf multi leaf springs in the rear, i believe the stock height.

However, I still have the stock upper and lower control arms, stock 11/16 size sway bar, stock drum brake spindles, my rims are 15X8 Corvette rallys with a 4 inch back space and a 235/60 BF Goodrich radial T/A tire. I do not have a rear sway bar either.

Now I understand this probably isn't exactly pro-touring material, but it's probably not a bad start either, right? I mean the car does corner (to me) ok....especially since changing out the old rotted rubber bushings....but I'm sure there's room for improvement.

I do plan to change the front drums to disc when time and money allows.

I'm guessing I probably at some point need to change to maybe a lower profile tire/bigger rim combo for better cornering?

Should I also swap to tubular control arms? or are those more the less 'cool guy" parts? What about the leafs?

Could the same be said for a bigger front sway bar and an added rear sway bar?

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks.

Here's a pic of how my car currently sits....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 14, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jeff Hayes

Blown73 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Your thoughts on my suspension set up?

Not a bad setup so far. Unless you have unlimited amounts of money, it takes time to save up and buy parts for these cars. I just recommend a plan to follow, prioritizing the parts that you need to keep the project rolling smooth as you save, such as buying spindles before you buy brakes.

As for what you have, it is a good start. I would look at getting a bigger sway bar, and also start working on getting brakes.

You might want to look at the global west rear leaf springs. Then look at a rear sway bar.

That should get you saving for a while

https://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19521
Old Mar 31st, 14, 01:19 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Also knowledge is a good thing. Your car is basically a Camaro with a back seat and more head room. Anything that improves handling on a Camaro aides your car's performance. Read what David Pozzi has written on our sister Site Team Camaro.

Rather than going the Guldstran mod; I would consider tubular A-arms with coil over shocks.

Big Dave

Old Nov 8th, 15, 04:32 PM
Tech Team

69Nova355 has a positive reputation

Thanks, I know it's been a while since I last logged in.

Car is doing good. A bit sensitive over bumps. But I can throw this thing in a curve and almost no body roll.

Also since this pic was last taken, i swapped the rims out for some 16X7 Torq Thrust II's wrapped in 225/55R16 BF Goodrich G Force II's.

It can only get better though with a rear sway bar.
Old Nov 8th, 15, 09:50 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Before I bothered with a rear sway bar I would address the front first. Bigger is better in sway bars as the spring rate goes up with diameter of the bar (it doesn't have to be solid either as the center of the bar just adds weight, not spring force).

Also a big word of caution. As the sway bar size increases in diameter, the mounting of the bar has to increase in strength as well to constrain it. The factory used four sheet metal screws to attach the front sway bar to the front cross member. I can tell you from personal experience they will rip out at the first hard charge of a corner with big tires.

With big sticky tires, big sway bar, and stiffer spring rate all around, you will see air under the front corners on some tracks as the car will corner like a slot car (this assumes you are old enough to know what a slot car is).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement