Pro-Touring '66 Nova Project - Page 5 - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Oct 11th, 07, 02:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

Novanutcase has a positive reputation
Default Re: Pro-Touring '66 Nova Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 canso s/d View Post
Hey Johnner.
I can see her now. She's takin shape real quick.
Some damn nice goodies too. It is great to see some big boys like Comp Cams/Fast and BF Goodrich get on board for you and Roger along with the rest of your sponsers.
They can see what's happining and transforming, so why not get on board with a winner.
Nice John, real nice.

Bob.
Thanks Bob! That's very kind of you!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 14th, 07, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jay

jays64II has a positive reputation

John .... why so much extra tubing ? I mean....god....i've built 4 full tube frame drag cars that don't have 1/2 the tubing that thing has !

I see ya have a nice list of sponsors. How does that work and how much are they contributing both $$$ and parts and such ?

I'm looking for some sponsorship for my NSS/FX car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks , Jay

Mazzoni Enterprises & Outlaw Autoworks
ma[email protected]

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/12...600x600Q85.jpg
Old Oct 14th, 07, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jays64II View Post
John .... why so much extra tubing ? I mean....god....i've built 4 full tube frame drag cars that don't have 1/2 the tubing that thing has !

I see ya have a nice list of sponsors. How does that work and how much are they contributing both $$$ and parts and such ?

I'm looking for some sponsorship for my NSS/FX car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks , Jay
Just wanna make sure she's nice and stiff! LOL! So far we're still on target for overall weight of the car so the extra stiffness is just a plus!

As Bob mentioned, sponsors are looking for the most exposure they can get for what they are investing in parts or $$$ for the car they are sponsoring. The quickest and most effective way is through media since having a sticker on your car, although effective, doesn't give the amount and type of exposure that really makes an impact with most people. Thankfully, the media has looked on my build favorably and I guess they feel that it will continue to garner attention in high profile mags which is where they will get the most bang for their buck!
Most of the sponsors I have have offered me free parts but with that comes rules and regulations that I have to follow such as my being in X amount of shows a year, position of their logo, etc. I've been down that road and chose not to go down it again so I opted for discounted parts and the freedom to do whatever I wanted. It was more a good faith type of deal for them since I can choose to not show or mention their product at all but that would be me shooting myself in the foot. I know I'll be doing other builds so why not give them more than they expected so that next time they will welcome me with open arms! It isn't any harder to do this than to not show anything of theirs. Now, I'm not sure if they do this type of deal normally so my situation may be different than yours but ultimatlely the decision is theirs to make.
In terms of how I got them, I just solicited them either through e-mail or meeting them at shows. Some I got through the shop that is doing the metal fab. Some I already knew through previous builds that I did. Once I/the shop showed them where we were at and where we wanted to go with the build most have been more than happy to contribute what we requested.

John

Old Oct 14th, 07, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech Team *
Jay

Ahh....I see. Yeah....i'm more of a racer. Hate car shows. They tend to be quite biased. Guess I'll hafta keep doing this outta my own pocket.

[email protected]

Old Oct 15th, 07, 01:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Ahh....I see. Yeah....i'm more of a racer. Hate car shows. They tend to be quite biased. Guess I'll hafta keep doing this outta my own pocket.
Honestly! As attractive as "sponsorship" seems it ain't all it's cracked up to be! If you get a full sponsorship they want you to be at all the major shows, at your expense, and, usually, want to have a photo session with the car that eats up at least a couple days so unles you're indepently wealthy and have the time to cruise around the show circuit, in the end it really is better to just buy it. If you can get a discount then cool but again not really worth the hassle. I like going to shows but shows that I want to go to. I also like to be able to decide what show my car will be in and not have to be mandated as to the shows that I need to be at. That takes ALL the fun out of being at shows and just turns it into a job!
I also prefer to be behind the wheel flogging the car than watching it sparkle under the convention hall lights, stressing out because some kid with an ice cream cone in one hand and a choclatey mess in the other is about to touch my car!
This is why I opted to do the heavy discount/just promote as best you can deal! Way more freedom!

John
Old Oct 16th, 07, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Jay

I hear that ! I'm just trying to get a guy that i used to work for in the automotive lift/equip. biz to throw some money my way. I think I have him talked into it. I'm gonna have his biz on the trunk of the car on one of those big magnetic signs so I can take it off and on and i'll set up a table at my pits and sell his product. I told him "where are you gonna find a salesman who will promote/sell your products/services 40 weekends a year at local and regional racing events for $5000 a year ?"

[email protected]

Old Oct 16th, 07, 03:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
I hear that ! I'm just trying to get a guy that i used to work for in the automotive lift/equip. biz to throw some money my way. I think I have him talked into it. I'm gonna have his biz on the trunk of the car on one of those big magnetic signs so I can take it off and on and i'll set up a table at my pits and sell his product. I told him "where are you gonna find a salesman who will promote/sell your products/services 40 weekends a year at local and regional racing events for $5000 a year ?"
Brother! You're GIVING it away! That guy is getting a DEAL! You better rethink it because you know he's making at least $2,000 a lift and if 3 lifts sell because of your endorsement he definitely made his money back plus getting it in front of a lot of eyeballs! Are you sure you want to be stuck behind a table hockin' lifts?
Sure that mag signs gonna stay on the car? LOL! If you're building drag cars your gonna shake that thing off!! LOL!

John
Old Oct 16th, 07, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Jay

The magnet works good ! I had one on the car before.

There is no way he makes that on a lift. I used to install and do service work for him.

I'm not looking for his sponsorship to pay for everything. $5k will cover all my fuel for the year , 2 sets of tires , and all my entry fees

[email protected]

Old Oct 22nd, 07, 12:29 PM

67 canso s/d has a positive reputation

Hey John, how's it going?
Any up dates on the masterpiece?
How's the time line, everything going good and as sheduled?
I'm sure it is.
Just got mine home and ready for more progress. A Novanutcase it is not though...lol, but it's still alot of fun.
Take care John.

Bob.
Old Oct 25th, 07, 01:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 canso s/d View Post
Hey John, how's it going?
Any up dates on the masterpiece?
How's the time line, everything going good and as sheduled?
I'm sure it is.
Just got mine home and ready for more progress. A Novanutcase it is not though...lol, but it's still alot of fun.
Take care John.

Bob.
Hey Bob!

Everything is good and, so far, on schedule! Right now we are in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for parts! Ricks Hot Rod shop is supposedly shipping out the gas tank so we should have that in a couple of days! We received the carbon fiber drive shaft and it looks REALLY cool! I'll try and post a pic tomorrow! The guys at the shop are working on the gaps and finish welding everything. We still need to work on placing the dry sump but we have some good ideas so once we get it in place I'll also post some pics of that.
It must be nice to have your car home. Have you made any progress on your car? I can't wait for that day for me!

I'm in Bakersfield staying at Rodgers house so it's nice to see the Nova everyday. I'll be here for a couple more days working on the '03 Mustang that I'm building into a road race car! I'm trying to get it ready for friday for te open track day they're having! So far I've replaced the entire front and rear suspension with a full race setup and tomorrow I'll be installing the Wilwood brakes and the panhard bar. The long tube headers and midpipe where supposed to be here today but they told me they won't be ready until next week so I'll have to install those next time I come up along with the torque arm. I also ordered some 31 spline axles and 4:10 gears. That should complete the mods I want to do to the car. I'm still trying to decide on wheels and tires! I'm looking for something light and strong but not to expensive. BFG says they will give me a sete of R1's at a discount price so hopefully it's a BIG discount!

Oh well! Enough of my ramblings!

John
Old Oct 25th, 07, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanutcase View Post
Hey Bob!

Everything is good and, so far, on schedule! Right now we are in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for parts! Ricks Hot Rod shop is supposedly shipping out the gas tank so we should have that in a couple of days! We received the carbon fiber drive shaft and it looks REALLY cool! I'll try and post a pic tomorrow! The guys at the shop are working on the gaps and finish welding everything. We still need to work on placing the dry sump but we have some good ideas so once we get it in place I'll also post some pics of that.
It must be nice to have your car home. Have you made any progress on your car? I can't wait for that day for me!

I'm in Bakersfield staying at Rodgers house so it's nice to see the Nova everyday. I'll be here for a couple more days working on the '03 Mustang that I'm building into a road race car! I'm trying to get it ready for friday for te open track day they're having! So far I've replaced the entire front and rear suspension with a full race setup and tomorrow I'll be installing the Wilwood brakes and the panhard bar. The long tube headers and midpipe where supposed to be here today but they told me they won't be ready until next week so I'll have to install those next time I come up along with the torque arm. I also ordered some 31 spline axles and 4:10 gears. That should complete the mods I want to do to the car. I'm still trying to decide on wheels and tires! I'm looking for something light and strong but not to expensive. BFG says they will give me a sete of R1's at a discount price so hopefully it's a BIG discount!

Oh well! Enough of my ramblings!

John
Hi John.

Everything looks like it's coming together nicely for you. I can't wait to see the pics.
That carbon fibre d/shaft must be something to see.
Have fun in Bakersfield John, sounds interesting,..wish i was there...lol
Take care and have fun.

Bob.
Old Oct 25th, 07, 11:29 PM
SHIFTY4

i'd say John's been slackin' lately...

WHERE'S THE UPDATE PICS !!???
Old Oct 26th, 07, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY4 View Post
i'd say John's been slackin' lately...

WHERE'S THE UPDATE PICS !!???
Yea, John's slackin,and he's havin fun doin it.
But somebodies got to do it, and might as well be John.
Old Oct 27th, 07, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

AWRIGHT! You asked for it!

Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft. All the stuff on the Racks is the FAST/Comp Cams stuff they sent me!

Fesler Hood Hinges. I met Chris Fesler at Good Guys Columbus. He saw the project I'm doing and sent me the billet hood hinges he makes. Pictures do not do these justice! They are absolutely beautiful! Thanks Chris!

Wilson Hood Pins. Ron Wilson was nice enough to send me some hood pins for mock up to see if they worked with the car. Thanks Ron!

Some of the Furd stuff I did up in Bakersfield! (Thanks Jason for helping me out!)

Front End:
Ripped out the stock suspension and replaced it with a lighter tubular K-Member, tubular LCA's, Bilstein HD coilovers to replace stock struts and a bumpsteer kit along with Wilwood Superlite 6 big brake kit on the front!

Thats Sean installing the brake lines(I suck at bending brake line!). He's showing me how much he loves bending brake line! LOL!

Installed some caster/camber plates so that we can easily adjust the camber for track days.

Rear:
Replaced the Rear stock LCA with a lighter Road race one and replaced the stock shocks with Bilstein HD coilovers. I still need to install the panhard bar and torque arm but I'll do that when the Long tube headers and midpipe arrive next week.

Spherical bushings for rear shocks for better shock articulation

When I do the headers, PHB and TA I'm also going to have the 31 spline axles, Posi and 4:10 gears installed by another shop. This way when I get it back I can put the Wilwood Superlite 4 piston brake kit on the rear axle.

John

Last edited by Novanutcase; Oct 27th, 07 at 08:16 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 07, 11:18 AM

Wow, we weren't really ready for all that...lol
Sheesh John, those are some sweet components.
Gotta love those hinges, man they are so neat and clean looking.
As for that drive shaft, i am lost for words.
I am so anxious to see her when she is done, i feel like i was the one at the other end waiting.
Hope you had a great time in Bakersfield.
Thanks for sharing the pics John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement