Are seat belts required by law in a 69 Nova? - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Apr 17th, 19, 05:20 AM
Mark

1969Nova355 has a positive reputation
Default Are seat belts required by law in a 69 Nova?

Curious if seat belts are required by law in my 69 Nova. I just purchased the car and the interior carpet and seats were redone but no seat belts. I have been looking around the interweb and know that seat belts were introduced on the car around 1966 but I dont believe there were laws enforcing them. Do current seat belt laws force classic car owners to install them? I would actually like to install a set for safety sake and I currently have a bench seat. Does anyone know if the 69 with a bench seat ran just lap belts or did it originally come with the 3 point system or were both an option for that year? Where can I find an original lap belt or 3 point system (new)? I have seen so many options that state they are for 67-73 or 68-74 or 68 only but can be modified to work on 69-74 models, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 17th, 19, 09:17 AM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation
Default Re: Are seat belts required by law in a 69 Nova?

It varies by state but for the most part I think around mid 80's when it actually became a law, could be wrong though???..

Several places make seat belts, here's one place.

https://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/instructions
Old Apr 17th, 19, 11:06 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

It was required on all production model cars from 1967 on. It is based upon a 1964 federal law that the manufactures wanted more time to implement even though they have been an option from 1963 on with GM.

Big Dave

Old Apr 17th, 19, 11:35 AM
Site Moderator
Art

It was mandated that they were installed in all vehicles, but there was no law about wearing them at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_b..._United_States
Old Apr 17th, 19, 03:36 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

What Art said is correct. It wasn't until 1974 that a second federal law (enforced by threat of loosing Federal Highway Funds if each state didn't mandate a seat belt use law) was passed. Still took another ten to fifteen years to make the offense a primary offense allowing cops to actually stop you for not wearing your seat belts.

Big Dave
Old Apr 17th, 19, 11:38 PM
Mark

Thanks for the info gentlemen!
Old Apr 17th, 19, 11:57 PM
Site Moderator
Art

Anytime, glad to help...
Old Apr 18th, 19, 12:47 AM
Gary

railroader has a positive reputation

Seatbelt laws vary by State. When I was looking for information for I couldn't find anything on any state website. But for the safety of myself and any passengers I'm going to put them in. Ordered mine from Morrisclassc.com as they are "supposed" to come with all mounting hardware and car specific fit. Can't confirm that yet, belts were shipped yesterday.

Seatbeltplus.com is another vendor.
Old Apr 18th, 19, 06:14 PM
Tech Team

burningsquirrels has a positive reputation
Send a message via ICQ to burningsquirrels Send a message via AIM to burningsquirrels Send a message via Yahoo to burningsquirrels

I have unfortunately been tangled in several road incidents, including one in my Nova. After that, I no longer mess around with safety. I researched a bunch of options, bought a couple different sets, and kept going til I found one I liked. I now have Morris Classic belts in all my retrofitted vehicles.

https://www.morrisclassic.com/collections/seatbelts
Old Apr 18th, 19, 06:20 PM
Tech Team

burningsquirrels has a positive reputation
Send a message via ICQ to burningsquirrels Send a message via AIM to burningsquirrels Send a message via Yahoo to burningsquirrels

Also to answer your earlier question, I had a front bench seat with 3 point belts from the factory. The lap belts passed through the seat, and the shoulder belts folded up above the door. I liked how they worked but because they were not retractable I always had to undo them to undo the parking brake or else run some slack in them. Glad I always took the slack out.

One consideration with the retractable 3-point belts (all of them) is that they run a retractor by the bottom against the door, and a sash runs up to the ceiling and back down across your body. With that setup, anyone entering the back seat has to thread the needle past it. Also, the door panel will get an indentation from the retractor body.

One last piece of advice. When you install the belts, be very careful and clean all the thru-floor mount points before threading the bolts in. Last thing you want to do is cross-thread those holes.
Old Apr 20th, 19, 06:17 PM
Mark

Thanks guys! I have checked out Morissclassics.com and they look like they have nice stuff. railroader .. let us know how your install goes.

Question: Do all Novas have the mounting holes from the factory? My interior headliner and carpet were replaced with new prior to my purchasing the vehicle and they did not install seat belts so I cannot see the mounting holes. I believe I have read that the holes are there but may not have had seat belts on original production line assembly.
Old Apr 21st, 19, 08:09 PM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

Mark your car came with 3 point belts in the front and lap belts in the rear. The mounting point is there as well as the ones in the floor. The floor holes can be located easily by poking a pointed object through the carpet from the mount underneath the car. The roof mounts can be felt through the headliner. Someone may be able to give you a measurement to help locate them.
Morris Classic belts are an excellent choice. I have them in my Chevelle and will install them in both of the Novas.
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old Apr 24th, 19, 05:24 PM
Mark

Thanks Phillip I found them. I have a long list of things on my "to-do" list for this Nova and seat belts are at the top.
Old Apr 25th, 19, 06:58 PM
Tech Team
Russ

69Nova350 has a positive reputation

My '69 Nova 2 door has the original three point seat belts it was purchased with in NC. When I restored the interior ten years ago, the same belts were still good so they were retained. NC and VA each require seat belts. Installing and using them is the smart thing to do.

The picture shows them installed over NOS vinyl for the bench seat. The chrome shoulder belt buckle can be seen handing from the headliner clip inside at the top of the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Nova 350 Bench Seat with 3 point belts.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	16725  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement