Clutch release free play - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Oct 24th, 19, 10:27 AM

tgwaltzer has a positive reputation
Default Clutch release free play

I am working on assembly of a 66 Nova with Nova block 327, stock GM bell housing and clutch rod linkage and Muncie 4 speed. It was originally a straight six automatic. My problem is with a raised finger Valeo pressure plate and clutch disc, a long throw out bearing leaves no free play between the trans and the pressure plate, and a short TOB angles the clutch fork too much so the pedal will not depress. I found at JEGS and Summit, what appears to be a longer fork pivot ball. Was there different lengths of these from GM? Both styles of pressure plates, flat and raised fingers as well as long and short TOB are shown as the correct application for my car. Something has to be different? All linkage assembly and clutch fork came from Classic Industries. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 24th, 19, 02:43 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Clutch release free play

Yes there were different length clutch fork balls but that was to use the clutch in a heavier truck with a bigger diameter clutch disc (14 inch instead of 11 for a high horse motor). To solve your non-stock pressure plate issue you need an after market solution. I recommend a McCleod adjustable clutch fork ball.

https://www.carid.com/mcleod/pivot-s...72080075991616

There were also three different height throw out bearings when you include trucks.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...olved.1108051/

All GM cars used a diaphragm pressure plate, the Long or Borg and Beck three finger lever pressure plate holds better in high horsepower applications, but they are harder to use on the street why GM went with the diaphragm pressure plate and Ford and Chrysler used the three finger style.

Big Dave
Old Oct 24th, 19, 04:19 PM

Thanks Big Dave. I was looking at those as well as the McLeod adjustable TOB. I'll get one ordered.

Old Oct 24th, 19, 07:49 PM
Tech Team

Aukai has a positive reputation

If you get stuck, there is a National TOB 1.250 total height from early Corvettes.

Part number: National 614083
Old Nov 15th, 19, 10:20 AM

After more research, I found Goodmark has a clutch pivot ball, GMK40109516220, that is 1 3/4" total height. This along with the raised finger pressure plate and National short TOB, corrected the issue. Thanks for the assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement