Use weld through primier on my floor boards? - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Jan 26th, 20, 04:47 PM
Dan

alloy has a positive reputation
Default Use weld through primier on my floor boards?

I'm replacing my floor boards and there are bare metal places that will be covered with the new floor pans.

I've read about weld through primer and there seems to be about half for using it, and half against.

I've not used it before so should I spray the bare spots on the top of the cross members before laying the new floor pans in?

Advertisement

Old Jan 26th, 20, 05:03 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Use weld through primier on my floor boards?

All primer is a primer not a paint. It is not water proof and the metal will rust. It is better than nothing though as it is rich in zinc so it will help a little. Best to seal the parts you want to protect with an enamel paint (Rustoleum) and grind bare any area to be welded that you then spray weld through primer upon, prior to welding them together.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...eformer-spray/

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...52462&lc=Gloss Black

Best protection of bare metal is an epoxy paint like POR 15 but it is very much permanent and hard to get off even with a grinder.

Big Dave
Old Jan 26th, 20, 06:59 PM
Tech Team

ramportin1 has a positive reputation

What big Dave said.
Or you can hit it all with a weld through and grind off just the spots that will have weld. That way all the bare metal will be protected, and the spots that are getting weld do not need protection since they will no longer be exposed once you hit them with the weld. If you try to weld directly through the primer you will likely get sloppy welds and that's why many people hate it.
I'd say either way you will be good

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old Jan 26th, 20, 07:08 PM
Tech Team

I'd think about getting the insides of the crossmembers cleaned out and coated with a epoxy or por 15 also while you got it like that.

Old Jan 26th, 20, 09:18 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

As to weld through being said it can not be welded through that is nonsense. Weld through primer is designed to be used in the collision repair industry as a way to protect new parts from corrosion while they sit around for weeks (often out side) awaiting the time, parts and money to complete the job. Then they are welded without being cleaned to get the job out the door. The primer is Zinc rich to offer cathodic corrosion protection at least until the Zinc is consumed. It is the zinc in the primer that causes the splaters that people hate when welding. Zinc like copper is a contaminant in most welds and will not meet Mil-Spec.

Ninety percent of automotive welding is spot welding; and few ever completely seam weld two pieces of metal together. Only in our hobby were time (as labor) is not important would we MIG weld parts together. Even the car shows that put a car together in a week punch holes in the parts and rosette weld the parts together to simulate a spot weld (since most humans couldn't even pick up never mind find the strength to close the electrodes together with enough force to get a decent spot weld). The small 110 volt spot welders used in the collision industry are only powerful enough to get the car out the door to be paid, not powerful enough to structurally hold the parts together. (I know the guy who invented that welder and holds the patents; they were designed to tack weld parts until they could be properly welded together).

Most people sell their wrecked cars before the paint drys once they have been repaired. Because they don't trust what they saw happen in the repair shop which is why you have companies like Carfax helping find lemons before you have a two ton can of lemonade.

Big Dave
Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:47 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramportin1 View Post
I'd think about getting the insides of the crossmembers cleaned out and coated with a epoxy or por 15 also while you got it like that.

I had planned on doing that this weekend. I'm getting all the cutting done before I start cleaning and rust proofing.

I have a lot more cutting and fitting to to.
Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:52 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy View Post
I had planned on doing that this weekend. I'm getting all the cutting done before I start cleaning and rust proofing.

I have a lot more cutting and fitting to to.
O sweet good thinkin

Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:34 PM
Dan

Thanks.

I've never done floor boards before and have no idea what I'm doing.

I've watched a ton of videos on replacing the floor pans and I've decided to butt weld them in. But that takes more time to get everything trimmed more precisely.

I've also got rust in my toe pan on the drivers side and I got a replacement panel in for that today. I'm not a welder and I'm getting my wife's son to do the welding. He works nights and has days off during the week so I'm planning on taking a day off and hope to have absolutely everything ready for him to weld.

I still have to get the cross member reinforcement cut and fitted up so it can be welded, then get the cut on the cross member for the transmission shift box made.

I've got a Ford 9" with explorer disk brakes and I'm going to have to relocate my shocks for caliper clearance. I've found a shock bar but I don't like how it mounts. It uses the rear axle bump stop mounting bolts, and a cross bar secured to the mounts with one bolt per side. But I think it will work fine after it's welded in.
Advertisement