Cheap shipping! - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Bench Racing Stories, cruising & more

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Sep 5th, 08, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

patman has a positive reputation
Default Cheap shipping!

I unpacked the MSD plug wire set that I bought, and discovered that I was one short on the HEI style distributor boots. I had 8, needed one more to do the coil. (Anyone else beginning to catch a theme here?) This set I got on eBay (new, but...not in original packing...who knows) so I figured I'd just take my lumps and buy another boot instead of pinging MSD. Jegs had them listed for $4.99 for two...plus handling...plus delivery area surcharge...which brought the total to $14 and change. Then the lightbulb went on, and I threw the part number into amazon.com. Guess what? Same part, only $4.00 *AND* I get free two-day shipping because I have amazon prime. So it cost me...$4! That I can live with. I'm definitely going to check there for the onsey-twosey parts that are less than the handling charges at Jeg's/Summit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 08, 07:56 PM
Tech Team
john

73nova has a positive reputation
Default Re: Cheap shipping!

If you have an HEI distributor, you only need 8, right? You shouldnt need one for the coil that is mounted on the cap of the distributor? correct me if im wrong?
Old Sep 5th, 08, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Nope...it's a small body distributor and cap, but it has HEI style terminals on the top. Separate coil...9 wires. Like so:

Old Sep 5th, 08, 09:53 PM
Tech Team
john

73nova has a positive reputation

Hey, thats pretty cool, i wonder if i could fit that in my nova? Are they about the same size as a points distributor? I cant go any bigger then that as i have very little clearance right now. thanks
Old Sep 5th, 08, 10:16 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73nova View Post
Hey, thats pretty cool, i wonder if i could fit that in my nova? Are they about the same size as a points distributor? I cant go any bigger then that as i have very little clearance right now. thanks
MSD and all of the other major manufactures make both small cap (same size as the old points style distributor, and the bigger HEI diameter (but not necessarily with a coil in the cap). The small caps are not advised unless required by a tight fit; because the voltage is so high with a CD fired ignition module (that is optional but not required to work) that you will ionize the air in the small cap unless it is very well vented.

What is this about Amazon (dot) Com? I buy lots of books and an occasional music CD from them but I wasn't aware they sold anything else other than movies, music and books.

Big Dave
Old Sep 5th, 08, 10:30 PM
Site Moderator

Philip has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
What is this about Amazon (dot) Com? I buy lots of books and an occasional music CD from them but I wasn't aware they sold anything else other than movies, music and books.
They sell everything, except mail order brides.
72 Chevelle Concours wagon
Old Sep 5th, 08, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yes, it's the same diameter as the points distributor. A standard GM HEI won't fit in my car...some 1st/2nd gens will, some wont...depends on the car. Mine happens to be a "GM Heavy Duty Ignition" setup, but it's really a rebadged MSD unit. (TIP: want a cheap MSD box? Look for these on eBay...they go dirt cheap, like $30-50 and are identical to a MSD 6T, except the color and the label. I sent mine in to MSD for servicing, they did it no questions asked...)

There's a few others out there, MSD sells theirs, there was an LT1 distributor that was a small body, but it had no vacuum advance (needs a computer), and another option is a retrofit such as http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
What is this about Amazon (dot) Com?
Funny thing is...before MSD did their crackdown on prices, Amazon had the best price on 6AL boxes too. It's kind of hit or miss on the auto parts. Sometimes the prices are really bad, sometimes they're really good.
Old Sep 6th, 08, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech Team *
Duane

69NovaSS has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
Yes, it's the same diameter as the points distributor. A standard GM HEI won't fit in my car...some 1st/2nd gens will, some wont...depends on the car. Mine happens to be a "GM Heavy Duty Ignition" setup, but it's really a rebadged MSD unit. (TIP: want a cheap MSD box? Look for these on eBay...they go dirt cheap, like $30-50 and are identical to a MSD 6T, except the color and the label. I sent mine in to MSD for servicing, they did it no questions asked...)

Pat, this is REALLY good info. Thanks for sharing
Old Sep 6th, 08, 02:40 PM
SHIFTY4

Hay PatMan, i agree with Duane on that, great info... maybe you can research a little of all the possible interchange numbers (whatever) and post 'em at yer website

and i guess it cuts me out on a third strike... i was gonna see if i could find a new bride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement