Help find my husbands Nova - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Aug 5th, 17, 09:32 PM

Findmyhusbandsnova1976 has a positive reputation
Default Help find my husbands Nova

My husband's first car was a red 1976 Chevy Nova, 2 door, straight 6. He sold his car at my suggestion in 1994. We have regretted the decision ever since. I would love to find the car. I do not have a vin number. It was purchased in Alabama and sold in KY. I have tried contacting the DMV in both AL and KY. They will not or can not give me any records. I know from information searches that the number starts with 1X27D6, but I don't know where it was built or how to start with the rest of the numbers. Any suggestions? How many red 1976 Chevy Novas, 2 door straight 6 cars were made?

I have tag information for KY and a picture of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 5th, 17, 10:35 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation
Default Re: Help find my husbands Nova

Odds are it didn't survive the cash for clunker initiative.

Better to look for a substitute car and restore it the way you remember it rather than looking for just a single car. Production figures can be found on-line but even though Chevy made tens of thousands of them back in the day few have survived due to corrosion, collisions, and neglect.

All of GM's cars were made to last in service no more than seven years when they were assembled. The under body was unpainted lightly clad steel that some undercoated but not all. The corrosion inhibitors designed to keep raw steel from rusting while they built the car wore off soon after the car hit the road, so without maintenance and storage out of the weather the car soon began to rust away.

A good place to look for a replacement is the desert southwest. This is because it is hard to rust a car without water, and it rarely rains in the desert southwest. Any southern car will be in better shape than one from the northeast because it doesn't snow in the south; so there is no need to salt the roads (besides it's fun to watch the slipping and sliding on the news on the one day in Atlanta when it does snow).

Didn't read where you live, but it might be time to take an extended vacation in SoCal to visit Mickey land and search for a replacement Nova.

Big Dave
Old Sep 7th, 17, 11:55 PM

LAST1BEST1 has a positive reputation
Default Re: Help find my husbands Nova

My belief is that it more than likely did survive the "cash for clunkers" deal. And there are plenty of 76's that survived the corrosion prosess on the East coast.

My concern is did it survive the Dirt track conversion? Alot of these cars have been sacrificed for the sake of winning race events on the local race tracks across America.

A picture will help better your chances that someone will remember it. With over 20 years gone It will be a long shot but hey that's what Papa John said too.

I'd say red is a fairly common color on the Novas. The first 6 characters in the vin indicate how the car was built the other characters tell where it was built and the sequence it was built in at the factory.

I wish you good luck in the search. But if you can't find it there are many examples for sale on the web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement