Richmond 5 speed - Nova Tech
Nova Tech  
Find Nova Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Nova

Auto Insurance

Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

Novas.net is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old Sep 21st, 19, 12:57 AM
Tech Team

Aukai has a positive reputation
Default Richmond 5 speed

What is the best way to tackle this for floor modifications. The car came with the add on floor shifter hump in a box. Don't think that it is going to be that simple, has anyone done it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 21st, 19, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

big gear head has a positive reputation
Default Re: Richmond 5 speed

What shifter are you going to use?
Old Sep 21st, 19, 02:32 PM
Tech Team

Long H pattern.

Old Sep 22nd, 19, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

The shifter hump probably won't work with that shifter. If you were using a Hurst competition plus shifter then you could probably use it, but with the Long shifter you are probably going to have to cut a large hole in the floor farther to the left and it won't line up with where the hump would go.
Old Sep 23rd, 19, 03:12 AM
Tech Team

Thanks Freddie, I'm in the wing it mode, I hope it doesn't turn out too bad. It's a tight fit, I started by finding the interference, and moving it with the blue tip wrench, and hammers until the transmission fit. It's also tight in the bell housing for the hyd bearing hoses. I haven't fit those yet, and still have to check throw out bearing distance. I'll have to look up the throw on a Mcleod hyd bearing, I'll probably need to add spacers back behind the bearing that I took out, but I do have room now for the clutch fingers. When I cut the shifter opening I'll be able to smooth the tunnel out more with the hammer, and dolly, it really looks pretty ugly right now.

Old Sep 23rd, 19, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I didn't realize that the 5 speed was that much larger than a Muncie. Looks like you have some work ahead of you.
Old Sep 23rd, 19, 02:20 PM
Tech Team

I think that other vehicles have a more generous tunnel for the turbo 350/400 transmissions. Just my guess.
Old Sep 23rd, 19, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

What is the car?
Old Sep 23rd, 19, 06:38 PM
Tech Team

Sorry, my 67,not sure if you could get a turbo trans ordered in one, I have only seen PGs.

Old Sep 23rd, 19, 09:17 PM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

No TH400 option offered so far as I know of. Maybe with the L-79 option (350 horse 327), though I suspect most L-79 cars had a Muncie four speed.

The Richmond is stronger than the Muncie the same way a Muncie is stronger than a Saginaw. Bigger shafts, bigger bearings, and wider gear faces. Bigger is usually stronger in trannys, but it makes fitting in a bigger tranny a little more challenging. I had a Richmond in a '70 Nova but I cut out the entire trands tunnel to get it to fit. I used a Mr. Gasket five speed vertical gate shifter but it sat practically in my lap (part of the problem was my size), but it stood off from the back of the tranny by two to three inches from memory to get all of the sraight large diameter shift rods in a straight line with the body of the shifter.

No way in hell you are ever going to get it to fit with a console, and I used a lot of aluminum sheet metal (my first TIG welding job from school) to fabricate a new tunnel to cover everything. (I hate getting wet while driving from water off the tires coming up through a hole in the floor). Today a TKO T-56 is stronger yet comes on a smaller package.

I think Doug Nash owns Richmond, who had earlier bought out Liberty Gear, but I can't remember any more. Parts are available (such as rebuild kits, small parts kits, and different gear sets to customize the ratios for your driving style). So it is a valuable box to have.

Big Dave
Old Sep 23rd, 19, 11:28 PM
Site Moderator
Art

62 NovaWagon has a positive reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aukai View Post
,not sure if you could get a turbo trans ordered in one, I have only seen PGs.
Only PG was offered in automatics, but a TH350/700R/4L60 wll fit without modifications..
Old Sep 24th, 19, 01:43 AM
Tech Team

All of the tunnel smacking is done, got the shifter, and linkage in also, The inline shifter is not going to be an option I'm afraid. The cross member has to be move around 6" back, that will be next....Dough Nash sold out to Richmond, my third gear combination is no longer available if it lets go.

Old Sep 25th, 19, 02:29 AM
Tech Team

The trans cross member has to move back about 3" actually, the factory frame mount is spot welded in so many places I'm not going to mess with it. So I'm going to make stubs to the frame, and weld them in. The cross member is an odd width, so I'm cutting a 2.5x2.5 box tubing down, then half it, notch it to fit the frame, and cross member, then weld it up. Yeah like it's that easy......

Old Sep 27th, 19, 01:29 AM
Tech Team

Got a little done today, this is the stub that will weld to the frame, the "flap/tab" will get pulled down, and welded across the bottom of the frame. SO across for the tab, up the frame in the corners, and welded to the floor pan. Will this be strong enough? If need be I can cut down the floor pan sides, and weld another flat with a tab extending out like the frame side to extend the floor pan weld out farther. I hope this makes sense...

Old Sep 27th, 19, 02:23 AM
Site Moderator
Dave

Big Dave has a positive reputation

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a press brake attachment for your shop press and form flat steel into shapes you can weld together to make an equally strong but about ten times lighter transmission cross-member?

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pr...kaAniTEALw_wcB

This is a handy tool to have in your shop to put ninety degree bends into flat steel (two bends makes a an open U shaped channel that can be boxed in with a flat piece of metal to form a tube of any size.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement