Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Mom's grocery getter 406

12K views 55 replies 5 participants last post by  ramportin1 
#1 · (Edited)
The 406 is a collaboration between Mike Lewis racing engines, and Mark Jones (Vortecpro)
I was able to buy a Nice 67 Nova roller, and needed a motor quick, so my wife would not throw a hissy fit if I get the car running as soon as possible. Mike Lewis built my 572 for the Chevelle, but when I got in touch with him he stated his lead time was way out. My next choice was Mark Jones, who has a super reputation also. I was able to work out a deal with both of them, Mike for parts, and Mark for his expertise in assembling, and his attention to details. We made a game plan, and Mike did the parts selection, and ordered all of the parts, with Mark asking for certain vendors for pistons rings, etc. For a street car this effort has turned out VERY well, considering I can only use a Victor Jr. for hood clearance. Mark took care of porting, and getting the most out of it, and it sings. Mark Witener (JMarkaudio) did the billet 1000HP carb. Video at the bottom.
This is the parts list if anyone is interested. Mark answered all of my questions, kept me updated when ever I called, super to deal with. Mike, and Mark excellent job, and results. I am extremely happy, the hair was even standing up on my arms. This is on 91 octane.

DART SHP 31161211 350 / 4.125

1067 AFR 23° SBC Cylinder Head 227cc Race Ready Heads, standard exhaust, 75cc

MAHLE 930200755

406 4.155 442 12.6 11.7 10.9 SBC125155F05

COMPSTAR CRANK SAJ-113-CS

MOLNAR STROKER RODS

BEARINGS

MOROSO 21017

MOROSO 24170-

MELLING 10553

BULLET STEP NOSE BILLET CAST GEAR CAM

R285/415B 285 255 177 .4150 .009 CRA 1.6/1.6

R289/390B 289 259 178 .3900 .012 CRA

108-109+4-5

ISKY 372RHEZMax

CROWER SHAFT ROCKERS 74141F

ROLLMASTER TIMING SET LATE CS1090

CAM THRUST PLATE & BOLT SET

CAM BEARINGS

ATI 917781 W/BILLET ADJUSTABLE POINTER

ALUMINUM FT CVR & BOLTS

VLV CVRS & BOLTS

GASKETS

PAN, SEALS, HEAD, INTAKE, VLV CVRS, FT CVR, WATER & FUEL

HEAD BOLT, PAN STUDS, FUEL PUMP BLOCKOFF PLATE, STAINLESS CORE PLUGS

https://youtu.be/odst_HpVYHg

See less See more
#4 ·
Well the 406 is on Kauai, the valve covers I had were scratched so while they were in America:)D) the were sent for new powder coating. When I was looking things over the oil that was accumulated under the valve covers looks like it just came out of the bottle. Mark Jones (VortecPro) did the build, and the motor must have sealed up real quick on the break in, and dyno pulls. There is no visible combustion, or any other contamination in the oil. 640/550 is going to be fun in a 67 with a 5 speed.:yes:
I could not see the view finder in the sun, so the pictures are a little off.

#9 ·
Yes my machinist warned me a stock block will not live with power above 450 horse on a regular basis. At least it is stronger than SBF or a 301 Olds engine. Those break above 300 horse.

While I was touring the country I looked and looked for the interstate to Hawaii; I just never could find it. Crawled from the SoCal border with Tiajuna to Homer Alaska, but never found the bridge. Figure it has to be a tunnel guarded by the military like the Cheyenne mountain entrance to SG1 TV episodes.

Big Dave

#10 ·
Finally got the new valve covers today, and shined up one side SS header just to see how it looked. The Browell bell housing is over a month out on back order, but Cale Aronson was able to scrounge one up for me, when that comes I can put it in the car.

#16 · (Edited)
The hyd release bearing that came with the car is a no go, so while my wife was at work I used the glass dining table for measuring parts. Bellhousing depth, candle stick shoulder height, also checked bellhousing to finger height on the block,and got a Mcleod 1308 bearing ordered. Checked starter to ring gear, I would have to take material off of the aluminum starter pad to make it better, so it will stay there. If I did not have an engine leveler it would have been a bad day, there was a lot of finagling to get the SBC to sit on the pads. Then I have the "wrong" block mounts. I wanted to use the Poly mounts, but the driver side has a flange that hit the rack shaft. I'll lift it up again tomorrow, and put the Moroso mounts that came with the car on. The car has been under cover with the hood closed, and the car cover on, the rack shaft looks pretty bad in the flash. Something else to do I guess...Dialing in the bell also, along with setting up the clutch for hat height, finger height, base, and counter weight.

#25 ·
The 68 Nova lists 2 block mounts for the SBC short for the 327, longer for the 350. The SHP block is probably modeled after the 350, and would have shorter mounting points on the block. I just need to space the mounts with the Moroso spacers when they get here tomorrow. Fingers crossed this fixes the 67.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.