Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Choke Thermostat for '63 194 Inline 6

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
Hello All;

Thanks for having me on here. My aunt is restoring her '63 Nova with 194 engine and our mechanic cannot find a replacement choke thermostat. Does anyone know where I can possibly find this?

#2 ·
Welcome to the Team!

The bi-metal choke is probably the same as the SBC with only the rod that connects it to the choke butterfly being different. The automatic divorced choke assembly was the same across all GM makes from 1947 through 1970 in all of the models over the years that it was made.

Unless it is a full restore a newer electric choke as found on a remanufactured 2GC carburetor would be a better replacement. The divorced choke assembly takes a long time to reach operating temp which is why it was replaced in 1971 with the electric version.

Big Dave

#4 ·
Never mind about that Rochester 2GC, as you have a Rochester UniJet (one barrel). Cars only came with a one barrel and only the 292 truck engine (in one ton box vans) had a two barrel. If you find a 292 that can not be rebuilt you could use that manifold on your engine.

Though Mercruiser (OMC) also used a 2GC on their own in-line six boat engines They cast there own or bought export manifolds from GM. Also if you don't mind shopping flea-Bay you can find manifolds that were made in Mexico and Brazil for the export market as they had two barrels from the get go south of the border (and in Europe for that matter as Europeans didn't have a stigma about six cylinders and wanted a better carb and cam). The one barrel is a hold over from the 235 stove bolt six that your engine replaced in 1962. Though a one barrel is too small in cfm to feed a 250 or 292 truck engine.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.