Chevrolet Nova Forum banner

Richmond 5 speed

9K views 44 replies 6 participants last post by  Aukai 
#1 ·
What is the best way to tackle this for floor modifications. The car came with the add on floor shifter hump in a box. Don't think that it is going to be that simple, has anyone done it?

#30 ·
Thanks Freddie, interesting info, I've been looking at that, but topping out at 15" is a bit tall, there is a Competition plus shifter that angles forward first, and comes in at 13+". I did not come across any billet handles yet ether. Taking a look at Long shifter handles, but their finish quality has always been lacking.
Ball, or T it will have a line lock, it made my wife much more confident with the Chevelle stopping on hills:yes:

#35 ·
I was away for a bit, the shifter came in while I was away. 2 4, R are right at the bench, 1, 3, 5 are out a little bit. I'll have to look at the lower seat wire to possibly move the seat forward. That would be the best solution, if it's possible.

#36 ·
Would be nice if you could replace the seat with one that had a cutaway in the middle, or if you could just cut a hunk away from the middle and reupholster.
...might not be a practical solution, at this point, though.
That is a cool shifter, though...and a nice installation! -b

#38 ·
It is just a mild steel rod eighth inch if memory serves me correctly. You can bend up a piece to jump the gap you create and weld it in. Then cut the springs to length and reweld them. It then becomes a mater ot finding matching material and sewing up a patch panel to bridge the gap you created in your seat for the shifter.

Lou Santiago when he was working for PowerNation TV reworked the trans tunnel in a Nova and modified the front bench seat to clear the raised transmission tunnel on Project Blue Hair (a 1970 Nova Sleeper he built). I looked but didn't see that episode on line but the company sells a CD with all of the episodes on one disc for about $24 (or used to at one time).

Big Dave

#43 ·
Just as you have modified your crossmember, you can modify an "H" pattern Long Shifter mounting plate to sit the shifter body much lower on the Doug Nash/Richmond 4+1.

Attachments

#44 ·
Aukai
Sorry, I didn't realize you were this far into your install until I posted my reply above and it jumped to page 3. This can be an FYI for others to think outside the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.